Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living Tips in Perth please

Cost of Living Tips in Perth please

Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:36 am
Just Joined

GoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really nice
Smile Cost of Living Tips in Perth please

I'm sure that this has been done to death in previous threads, and if others think it easier just to direct me to the relevant thread then fine. If not, I thought it would be useful to ask people to build up their own suggestions of where the best bargains are for goods in Perth, and add to this thread

I'm only here a week and have collected a couple of tips but could do with so much more tips please.

Tips for cost of living, please add if you have a clear recommendation on the best values:-

Meat, Fruit & Vegatable - Wanneroo Market. We tried last Sunday, value was good and quality has been good
Liquor / Drink - Dan Murphys (we have been told but not yet used)
Sweets - help !!! Coles and everything else looks mega dear.
Chemists - appears to be large stores, would appreciate recommendation
Stationery - help
Furniture - help. Need to buy dining table, outdoor furniture and desk / chair
White Goods - we need to buy fridge / freezer, dishwasher, washing machine. Does someone offer packages ?
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living Tips in Perth please

Welcome!

If you like IKEA stuff, register online for the "rent" promotion - basically they give you a discount voucher every month, which can be handy when you're setting up.

Outdoor furniture: I've spent a year (on and off) looking for an outdoor sofa set that's the right size, look and price. Yesterday I searched eBay and have ordered from a company in Brisbane. Even with $231 postage it's cheaper than anything I've found here.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:07 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoodToBeInPerth
White Goods - we need to buy fridge / freezer, dishwasher, washing machine. Does someone offer packages ?
Chemists - Chemist Warehouse, one in Joondalup

White Goods - Good Guys - make sure you haggle, in fact go to the Whirlpool forum: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ and search for the item you want and see how much others have paid for it and go to Good Guys and demand that price.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Chemist - Chemist Warehouse
Gregs

use Chemist Warehouse for "price matching " if there's none near you.

Outdoor Furniture - Segals are far and away the best IF you wait for their sales 50% to 70% off.
http://www.segals.com.au/
Old Nov 27th 2011, 7:58 am
Just Joined

GoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really niceGoodToBeInPerth is just really nice

Thanks for the tips so far, but would appreciate more please.

Another tip I have been told about is

PETROL:- The prices on forecourts go up on a Thursday midday, and come back down on a Monday. Therefore fill up between Monday and Thursday midday
Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the tips so far, but would appreciate more please.

Another tip I have been told about is

PETROL:- The prices on forecourts go up on a Thursday midday, and come back down on a Monday. Therefore fill up between Monday and Thursday midday
Better still use fuel watch
http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/fuelw...ome.jspx?rvn=1

Diesel can be cheapest on Saturday in our local area .
Old Dec 1st 2011, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

travelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant future

I've been told not to buy any furniture/white goods in the Joondalup area as the whack up the prices for expats. Instead try Malaga or the other industrial areas.

Also if you like eating out get the entertainment card/book definitely pays for itself if you use it regularly. We saved $23 off $90 bill last time we used it.

Cinema - Get a grand card and then you and up to 3 friends can get in for $10 any night of the week. On our first visit we were shocked that it was $17.50 a head but the girl said buy the card and it only came to $34 in total and we can use the card over and over so I assume the card is $14
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Drink at bowling clubs instead of pubs - $13 for a jug (2 pints) of Stella near me!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

travelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant future

I'm sure that this has been done to death in previous threads, and if others think it easier just to direct me to the relevant thread then fine. If not, I thought it would be useful to ask people to build up their own suggestions of where the best bargains are for goods in Perth, and add to this thread

I'm only here a week and have collected a couple of tips but could do with so much more tips please.

Tips for cost of living, please add if you have a clear recommendation on the best values:-

Meat, Fruit & Vegatable - Wanneroo Market. We tried last Sunday, value was good and quality has been good
Liquor / Drink - Dan Murphys (we have been told but not yet used)
Sweets - help !!! Coles and everything else looks mega dear.
Stationery - help
Furniture - help. Need to buy dining table, outdoor furniture and desk / chair
Stationery - $2 shop in Wanneroo markets only found this out after buying in BigW
Furniture - West Australian always has ads in for liquidation sales etc might pick up a bargain if your needs are not too specific
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:43 am
Just Joined

JemGerrard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Drink at bowling clubs instead of pubs - $13 for a jug (2 pints) of Stella near me!
Is this UK pints? How much would your average local pub be? Im trying to compare to the UK, to judge how much my outgoings may be.

Last edited by JemGerrard; Dec 2nd 2011 at 8:45 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JemGerrard
Is this UK pints? How much would your average local pub be? Im trying to compare to the UK, to judge how much my outgoings may be.
Hi are you on the way to Perth? I am, early jan on 457.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Hi are you on the way to Perth? I am, early jan on 457.
No - I am in the UK married to an Aussie , inlaws in Oz obviously and my sister in Perth, so just toying with ideas at the moment.

Have fun out there.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JemGerrard
Yes. You'll be paying between $7 and $14 for a pint in a pub elsewhere depending on its location
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We furnished virtually the whole house from Perth Gumtree....

Would Rather have preloved quality than the disposeable ikea type crap we could afford lol... Exceptions being mattresses (apart from one brand new in its wrapper that they were selling coz they already had $5k worth of mattress and didnt want the cheap new one they wgot free with their new suite), washing machine, dryer, fridge freezer and cooker....But only coz GoodGuys are SO good and with a 5 yr warranty it was a no brainer.....
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Yes. You'll be paying between $7 and $14 for a pint in a pub elsewhere depending on its location
Wow - its £2.50 - to £4 realistically where I am. ( I pay 2.60 - cos I like the old mans pub rather than the trendy nightspot!)

My father in law quotes a beer at $1.50 in his local footy club? Maybe its a littlun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.