Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Sydney.??

Cost of living in Sydney.??

Old Apr 17th 2008, 11:59 am
  #76  
BE Forum Addict
 
suzimc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Balmain, Sydney
Posts: 1,194
suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde View Post
mmm.... difficult, does anyone else out there survive on one wage as a single person? presumably this would be doable if you lived in a unit or similiar?
I've got friends who do.

An example of one of them - she earns around $80k, she rents a 1 bed unit in the Inner West (from memory I think it's about $400 per week, although her suburb isn't the nicest, she has a small car that's a few years old but commutes into the CBD by train, lives quite comfortably with a pretty good social life.
suzimc is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:31 pm
  #77  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
ashishb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
Actually I disagree, I think $185k is plenty for a decent lifestyle in Sydney. I am coming over on a $120k 457 visa and even with financial obligations in UK to keep up I have worked out a decent lifestyle can be had on the Northern Beaches. Yes I will have LAFHA to reduce my tax bill but as a one child family we will def have a good standard of living. For a couple with no kids on $185 they will have a good standard of living, and anyway, who shops at Matalan and Primark through choice??
Hi Guys,

I have just received a similar package for a consulting firm in Sydney CBD. My package is 71K plus 15% increment after 1st year. I have a wife, no children. My wife may be more inclined to staying back at home rather that working. After 2 yrs, I ll get PR. After further 2 yrs, may be citizenship. Do you think its a reasonable offer to maintain a confortable (nothing excessive) standard of living??

Ashish
ashishb01 is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:43 pm
  #78  
Social Grenade Thrower
 
paddyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: South Coast, NSW
Posts: 3,625
paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

Originally Posted by ashishb01 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just received a similar package for a consulting firm in Sydney CBD. My package is 71K plus 15% increment after 1st year. I have a wife, no children. My wife may be more inclined to staying back at home rather that working. After 2 yrs, I ll get PR. After further 2 yrs, may be citizenship. Do you think its a reasonable offer to maintain a confortable (nothing excessive) standard of living??

Ashish
Couple of questions;

Is the increment accrued every year or just the first year?

Have you already stated that you are going for PR? If so then you won't get LAFHA which certainly helps reduce your taxable income.

You could do ok in Sydney but your choice of rental accomodation may be reduced based upon your rent ceiling.
paddyo is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:51 pm
  #79  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
ashishb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
Couple of questions;

Is the increment accrued every year or just the first year?

Have you already stated that you are going for PR? If so then you won't get LAFHA which certainly helps reduce your taxable income.

You could do ok in Sydney but your choice of rental accomodation may be reduced based upon your rent ceiling.
Thanks,
No the increment will be at least that 10% every year. Also I will be eligible for PR only once i complete 2 yrs in that company.
I am planning to rent a place with around $300-350 pw. And own a cheap car (may be a used one). I have planned food/transportation/misc (other that shopping) expenses to around $2.5k per month. Does that sound reasonable?

Ashish
ashishb01 is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:55 pm
  #80  
Social Grenade Thrower
 
paddyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: South Coast, NSW
Posts: 3,625
paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

Originally Posted by ashishb01 View Post
Thanks,
No the increment will be at least that 10% every year. Also I will be eligible for PR only once i complete 2 yrs in that company.
I am planning to rent a place with around $300-350 pw. And own a cheap car (may be a used one). I have planned food/transportation/misc (other that shopping) expenses to around $2.5k per month. Does that sound reasonable?

Ashish
Seems fine to me. Bear in mind that cars here are expensive, second hand hold their price very well. Ask your new employer about a Novated Lease.
paddyo is offline  
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 1:58 pm
  #81  
Auntie Fa
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,344
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
Have you already stated that you are going for PR? If so then you won't get LAFHA which certainly helps reduce your taxable income.
Oh look, a LAFHA discussion.

Our company has offered to help us get PR when we're ready; they view it as a permanent move. They're also organising our LAFHA.
Kooky. is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.