British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cost of living in Sydney.?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-living-sydney-519092/)

suzimc Apr 17th 2008 10:59 am

Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 6220898)
mmm.... difficult, does anyone else out there survive on one wage as a single person? presumably this would be doable if you lived in a unit or similiar?:huh:

I've got friends who do.

An example of one of them - she earns around $80k, she rents a 1 bed unit in the Inner West (from memory I think it's about $400 per week, although her suburb isn't the nicest, she has a small car that's a few years old but commutes into the CBD by train, lives quite comfortably with a pretty good social life.

ashishb01 Apr 22nd 2008 11:31 am

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6019375)
Actually I disagree, I think $185k is plenty for a decent lifestyle in Sydney. I am coming over on a $120k 457 visa and even with financial obligations in UK to keep up I have worked out a decent lifestyle can be had on the Northern Beaches. Yes I will have LAFHA to reduce my tax bill but as a one child family we will def have a good standard of living. For a couple with no kids on $185 they will have a good standard of living, and anyway, who shops at Matalan and Primark through choice?? :sneaky:

Hi Guys,

I have just received a similar package for a consulting firm in Sydney CBD. My package is 71K plus 15% increment after 1st year. I have a wife, no children. My wife may be more inclined to staying back at home rather that working. After 2 yrs, I ll get PR. After further 2 yrs, may be citizenship. Do you think its a reasonable offer to maintain a confortable (nothing excessive) standard of living??

Ashish

paddyo Apr 22nd 2008 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ashishb01 (Post 6247437)
Hi Guys,

I have just received a similar package for a consulting firm in Sydney CBD. My package is 71K plus 15% increment after 1st year. I have a wife, no children. My wife may be more inclined to staying back at home rather that working. After 2 yrs, I ll get PR. After further 2 yrs, may be citizenship. Do you think its a reasonable offer to maintain a confortable (nothing excessive) standard of living??

Ashish

Couple of questions;

Is the increment accrued every year or just the first year?

Have you already stated that you are going for PR? If so then you won't get LAFHA which certainly helps reduce your taxable income.

You could do ok in Sydney but your choice of rental accomodation may be reduced based upon your rent ceiling.

ashishb01 Apr 22nd 2008 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6247852)
Couple of questions;

Is the increment accrued every year or just the first year?

Have you already stated that you are going for PR? If so then you won't get LAFHA which certainly helps reduce your taxable income.

You could do ok in Sydney but your choice of rental accomodation may be reduced based upon your rent ceiling.

Thanks,
No the increment will be at least that 10% every year. Also I will be eligible for PR only once i complete 2 yrs in that company.
I am planning to rent a place with around $300-350 pw. And own a cheap car (may be a used one). I have planned food/transportation/misc (other that shopping) expenses to around $2.5k per month. Does that sound reasonable?

Ashish

paddyo Apr 22nd 2008 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by ashishb01 (Post 6247898)
Thanks,
No the increment will be at least that 10% every year. Also I will be eligible for PR only once i complete 2 yrs in that company.
I am planning to rent a place with around $300-350 pw. And own a cheap car (may be a used one). I have planned food/transportation/misc (other that shopping) expenses to around $2.5k per month. Does that sound reasonable?

Ashish

Seems fine to me. Bear in mind that cars here are expensive, second hand hold their price very well. Ask your new employer about a Novated Lease.

Kooky. Apr 22nd 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by paddyo (Post 6247852)

Oh look, a LAFHA discussion. :rofl:

Our company has offered to help us get PR when we're ready; they view it as a permanent move. They're also organising our LAFHA.