Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Sydney.??

Cost of living in Sydney.??

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

$65k to support 5 people in Sydney (especially the northern beaches)? Ya dreamin!

You would probably need atleast $100k in Sydney (which is 2x the national average income) to have any quality of life.

I would only consider your situation if I could live somewhere in the country on that money where one can pick up a rental for under $300 p/w. Problem is finding a decent job there would be very hard.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

I would agree with what Paminsydney said, for any half decent house in a reasonable suburb, you are sydney-wide looking at least 600 per week.

I am excluding the commuter burbs and the outlying areas, which will only add another 100 per week in private travel (if you're lucky) and at least 1/2 that in public transport.

as I mentioned previously, over 7 years ago to this month (april) we started on 109 odd, which was Ok then, we have improved that by about 40% over the last 7 years, so it's do-able, but there are 5 of us now on one income!

still fun tho'
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

wbbugs will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your posts. It really brings you back down to earth after hearing all your comments. I posted this topic a while ago now and have found out alot more regarding living costs and more news on my salary, which will be 72000 as I already have my job offer and am currently in the progress of a 457 visa application.

I have decided to try and settle in the baulkham hills area, only working in north ryde so a region 4 travel pass for the buses is 1280 dollars a year. The rent is a lot cheaper, 350 - 400 dollars a week for a detached 3-4 bedroom house with garden. I think this should make living a little easier and after my first year I could look at moving closer to the beaches.

Be nice to hear your thoughts?

Thanks again
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Helen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Helen-17
Hello there. I am afraid I would have to say that the money is not enough. I have now been hear 3 weeks. My husband has been transferred out here on $185K pa, and even on that, I think we will struggle to have a house as nice as we did in the UK. Also, we have no children to provide for. It is not cheap. We have secured a 3 bed semi detached house for $750 per week in the suburb of North Ryde. From what I have seen of the food shopping, I would say it is more expensive than the UK. Also, I have yet to find cheap clothes shops, the likes of Matalan and Primark (they could still exist, maybe I have not found them yet!). Good luck with what you decide
Hello there. My previous post appears to have caused some interest, and I thought I would clarify. What I wrote was that on a salary of $185K, we would struggle to afford a house as nice as the one we had in the UK as house prices are much higher and the interest rates are so much higher. I did not state that we would struggle to survive. I thought I would just confirm that.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hello there. My previous post appears to have caused some interest, and I thought I would clarify. What I wrote was that on a salary of $185K, we would struggle to afford a house as nice as the one we had in the UK as house prices are much higher and the interest rates are so much higher. I did not state that we would struggle to survive. I thought I would just confirm that.
Don't let it bother you.
Different people, Different lives, Different expectation's.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:11 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't worry... anyone that read your post properly would have taken it that way anyway...
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

news last night (ABC I think) is that the A triple C is commencing an investigation into Grocery store pricing in Australia.

about bloody time, the margins that Woolies work off amounts to nothing less than robbery.
:curse:
Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
I have been reading with great interest and would welcome comments good and bad! - I have been offered a job as a paramedic in Sydney (probably working out of Parramatta to begin with)- currently in Felixstowe, Suffolk, UK. Looking to move in June 08 for a july start. Looking at renting to begin with in Kellyville/ Hills area - 3-4 bed house with a garden.
I will be earning between 70-80k pa. Do you think we will manage ( 2 adults - kids aged 6 and 4) on that wage in that area? after reading this thread, i am getting a bit scared!!!!

regards to all,

Chris
Old Apr 16th 2008, 4:23 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Does this sound reasonable for a family of four? Kids aged 10 and 7
Looking at a 3 bed somewhere about 1/2 hr from CBD

Per month

Car running costs $350
Rent $2800
Gas $40
Electric $100
Rates $100
Internet $50
Telephone $50
Mobiles $70
Water $90
T.V. $50
Groceries $800
Health Insurance £200

Can anyone think of any extras. Going on a PR Visa.
I will be on about $80,000 and wife $40,000
Will I be able to survive on this?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 7:28 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski
Does this sound reasonable for a family of four? Kids aged 10 and 7
Looking at a 3 bed somewhere about 1/2 hr from CBD

Per month

Car running costs $350
Rent $2800
Gas $40
Electric $100
Rates $100
Internet $50
Telephone $50
Mobiles $70
Water $90
T.V. $50
Groceries $800
Health Insurance £200

Can anyone think of any extras. Going on a PR Visa.
I will be on about $80,000 and wife $40,000
Will I be able to survive on this?
Rates and water will be included in your rent... Foxtel is $120 now if you get all the channels...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:46 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Thanks Dr.

Do you think the rest of my estimates are on par?

Is there anything else you think I should be including in my costings?

Thanks
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:57 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dr.

Do you think the rest of my estimates are on par?

Is there anything else you think I should be including in my costings?

Thanks
Realistically, you should probably factor in increasingly rising rents...
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...013110,00.html

"THE country's biggest property industry players believe Sydney's residential market will languish for at lest two more years before any chance of recovery in 2010."

"The lack of confidence in investing across Sydney has further implications for the city's long-suffering renters, with the difficulty in borrowing money to develop new housing stock leading to less rental properties and higher rents."

also ref.
Greedy landlords rorting rents
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...story-comments

Last edited by @boy; Apr 16th 2008 at 11:04 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:07 pm
Banned

So, with rents set to rise along with interest rates, the best bet maybe to rent on a short term lease and buy when prices are at their lowest albeit interest rates at their highest and sit comfortably while the market recovers!!??

Sound good or just hopeful?
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:09 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

So, with rents set to rise along with interest rates, the best bet maybe to rent on a short term lease and buy when prices are at their lowest albeit interest rates at their highest and sit comfortably while the market recovers!!??

Sound good or just hopeful?
Sounds about right. Getting the timing right is the trick ;-)
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

mmm.... difficult, does anyone else out there survive on one wage as a single person? presumably this would be doable if you lived in a unit or similiar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.