Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Sydney.??

Cost of living in Sydney.??

Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

wbbugs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cost of living in Sydney.??

Wow thanks for the many replies. Gonna have to really re assess my situation now. Feeling a little put of now about going to OZ. I can only really get work in sydney, so need to maybe live inland a lot further.

Anyone recommend a few nice places inland with cheaper rents.
Dont want this to stop my dream of moving to Australia.

Thanks again guys.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:20 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
You're welcome to disagree, Paddyo, but you're not there yet.

I know a couple that moved to Sydney from Singapore a couple of years ago (he is a Melbourne Aussie) and they were shocked at how little they could save. They were planning a family and ended up coming back as soon as they could.

We are going on a 457 for speed but will go for PR asap so lose the LAFHA. We figure it's worth it. We are hoping the salary sacrificing helps a little, especially with a car.

I'd be happy to share my calcs with you if you PM me.
I was offered a car but decided against it, rather keep the money and buy a run around for shopping and use public transport for work commute.
Also, when I said about being comfortable that didn't include saving, just enjoying life without being sensible!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:24 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
Whether you agree with it or not, living in Sydney CAN be very expensive - it all depends on the sort of lifestyle you expect and or want to put up with with. I am not talking here about SURVIVING I am talking about enjoying a nice lifestyle, for example:

1. Want to live a reasonable commuting distance from the city? But also reasonable distance to the beaches? Then you are looking at $1 million plus for a decent house (i.e. one that doesn't need a mountain or work), assuming a 30% deposit (i.e. an $700k mortgage) then you are looking at mortgage payments of around $60k per annum. Sure you can pay a lot less for a house BUT you lose the "lifestyle".

2. Want to send you children to private school? That $20k per child straight away. Now there are some very good public schools but the private schools are a cut above.

3. Cars, shopping entertainment etc. $3k per month?

How does $185k gross sound now?
OP stated $750 per week rental in North Ryde, not mortgage, and no kids. So $185k still sounds pretty good to me!! There is no bloody way that is a struggle, if so, then cut down on the chateauneuf du pape!!!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:27 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by wbbugs
Wow thanks for the many replies. Gonna have to really re assess my situation now. Feeling a little put of now about going to OZ. I can only really get work in sydney, so need to maybe live inland a lot further.

Anyone recommend a few nice places inland with cheaper rents.
Dont want this to stop my dream of moving to Australia.

Thanks again guys.
For rents in Sydney the west and south west are cheaper, but you really do need to check them out properly for social issues, crime, etc. Also it doesn't get the sea breeze so can be quite hot and sticky! My belief is that there is always somewhere for somebody. Your equity will help but you need to decide why you are moving and what effect it has on your tribe!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
OP stated $750 per week rental in North Ryde, not mortgage, and no kids. So $185k still sounds pretty good to me!! There is no bloody way that is a struggle, if so, then cut down on the chateauneuf du pape!!!

Gosh no way are you on French expensive wines on 185K! Neither are you on the bread line but seriously it will be a balance of lifestyle for some people depending on where/what they are coming from.

185K gets you just under 10K for single income after tax, the house prices will mean $700 mortgages if having 300K deposit, this will be for a $1M property but that will not buy you much in certain suburbs of the North Shore. This will mean a possible $5K a month repayment with the current interest rates.

So now you are down to $5k a month - average shopping $1000 a month based on BE survey!

Bills - depends on what you have but think with medical insurance and car costs for two with a minor car loan $1500 a month

That is 2.5K left - which is a fortune for some people but consider.....options

I have not taken into account a large number of private schools approx 15K per child per year, two children = 2.5K per month

One family holiday back to Uk a year for 4 for flights that is another 1K a month gone

Orthodonitcs - can be around $7000 per child

I do not think for one minute that one person is right or wrong only different and I found it refreshing that in this thread some higher earners are expressing doubts. I wish I had had some decent comparisons in my early days.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:00 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

There's absolutely no booze, holidays, clothes, etc., in my budget yet - that's what's freaking me!

If I'm anything to go by, Sandra, the higher earners don't really discuss their salaries for fear of being pooh-poohed - just like in this thread.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly it all reletive. To some people 185k isnt a lot, to others its a furtune - it depends on what your living standards are. The original poster asked if $65 was ok, and it i think it should be possible. I know many families in the UK who earn less than £30k.
As for suberbs, we have been looking at cheaper places. Although i, like everybody would love northern beaches with a placwe looking out to sea, unless i win the lottery, then its pretty unlikely.
So we have been looking around Revesby. Yes its a long way from the CBD, but to us thats not an issue, and there seems to be plenty for under $400 per week
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:24 pm
Banned

kapoo is an unknown quantity at this point

i need to know too
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:26 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

There's absolutely no booze, holidays, clothes, etc., in my budget yet - that's what's freaking me!

If I'm anything to go by, Sandra, the higher earners don't really discuss their salaries for fear of being pooh-poohed - just like in this thread.
I have got to know the cheap wines shops, cheap holidays and the cheap flight sites Clothes are far down the list for me.

As far as lifestyle moves go - for me it has taken six years to get back to my comfort level.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Well my salary is above the $65K that you will be getting, and my office will be in Padstow, so i dont have to travel into the CBD, but i have looked even further south for a house

Wollongong is currently looking favourite for us as we can live the Seaside lifestyle and still only be 45 mins from work

Stu
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:34 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Sandra
Gosh no way are you on French expensive wines on 185K! Neither are you on the bread line but seriously it will be a balance of lifestyle for some people depending on where/what they are coming from.

185K gets you just under 10K for single income after tax, the house prices will mean $700 mortgages if having 300K deposit, this will be for a $1M property but that will not buy you much in certain suburbs of the North Shore. This will mean a possible $5K a month repayment with the current interest rates.

So now you are down to $5k a month - average shopping $1000 a month based on BE survey!

Bills - depends on what you have but think with medical insurance and car costs for two with a minor car loan $1500 a month

That is 2.5K left - which is a fortune for some people but consider.....options

I have not taken into account a large number of private schools approx 15K per child per year, two children = 2.5K per month

One family holiday back to Uk a year for 4 for flights that is another 1K a month gone

Orthodonitcs - can be around $7000 per child

I do not think for one minute that one person is right or wrong only different and I found it refreshing that in this thread some higher earners are expressing doubts. I wish I had had some decent comparisons in my early days.
FFS....the $185k poster hasn't got a mortgage and with the 750 week rent it still leaves a decent amount. Yes, standards and expectations for all of us are variable and the amount of disposable income is spent differently according to your bent but am I really not getting this? We are moving from a nice part of UK to Sydney and have in between the OP and the $185 poster, yet we (perhaps naively?) have worked out all out incomings/outgoings and including sending money back to UK to cover other financial obligations yet still can enjoy a good lifestyle. Believe me, the way my better half sucks back bottles of wine then we better had be able to afford it!!
If I was offered $185k then I would be very well off in Sydney, fact. Decent 3 bed rental place on the Northern beaches, plus social fund and leisure spending.
The OP with $60k has a hard task I think, to find a place of value and social worth but by the sounds of it is a very canny person and I am sure would sort something out, the $185k poster however has me totally bemused at an apparent lack of disposable income yet is only renting in North Ryde?? Either I am a very pragmatic person or else I had better get 'er indoors to get a job as soon as we arrive!! Mind you, might just do that anyway! Opinions huh, who'd av 'em!!!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:35 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by verystormy
Firstly it all reletive. To some people 185k isnt a lot, to others its a furtune - it depends on what your living standards are. The original poster asked if $65 was ok, and it i think it should be possible. I know many families in the UK who earn less than £30k.
As for suberbs, we have been looking at cheaper places. Although i, like everybody would love northern beaches with a placwe looking out to sea, unless i win the lottery, then its pretty unlikely.
So we have been looking around Revesby. Yes its a long way from the CBD, but to us thats not an issue, and there seems to be plenty for under $400 per week
Just stick clear of Bankstown!!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:55 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...If I'm anything to go by, Sandra, the higher earners don't really discuss their salaries for fear of being pooh-poohed - just like in this thread.
Sums it up...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paddyo
FFS....the $185k poster hasn't got a mortgage and with the 750 week rent it still leaves a decent amount. Yes, standards and expectations for all of us are variable and the amount of disposable income is spent differently according to your bent but am I really not getting this? We are moving from a nice part of UK to Sydney and have in between the OP and the $185 poster, yet we (perhaps naively?) have worked out all out incomings/outgoings and including sending money back to UK to cover other financial obligations yet still can enjoy a good lifestyle. Believe me, the way my better half sucks back bottles of wine then we better had be able to afford it!!
If I was offered $185k then I would be very well off in Sydney, fact. Decent 3 bed rental place on the Northern beaches, plus social fund and leisure spending.
The OP with $60k has a hard task I think, to find a place of value and social worth but by the sounds of it is a very canny person and I am sure would sort something out, the $185k poster however has me totally bemused at an apparent lack of disposable income yet is only renting in North Ryde?? Either I am a very pragmatic person or else I had better get 'er indoors to get a job as soon as we arrive!! Mind you, might just do that anyway! Opinions huh, who'd av 'em!!!
Of course the big variable is whether you will rent or buy - that will make a huge difference to your disposable income. We originally wanted to rent but found it very difficult to find a place that we liked (principally becuase of the places we liked - everone else liked them as well!) in addition we have a dog which makes renting more difficult.

In addition, I am not prepared to regularly commute (by car) more than 30-40 minutes. Those two things meant that we were gradually moving up the rental price range to the point where we decided to buy (even though it is significantly more expensive).

So at the end of the day I would agree you probably could get by on $65k and certainly have no problem on $185 k but it all depends on what your priorities are.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

wbbugs will become famous soon enough

Well guys thanks again for your replies. As it happens today I have had my offer of employment come through from OZ. And its 72K dollars. Even better.
My agent that got me the job mentioned that I will be entitled to a living away allowance which means that they increase my tax bracket so I can earn more before tax. Meaning more money in my pocket. Anyone heard of this??

Anyway the ball is rolling now. Having this letter has given me butterflies but I am soooo exited!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.