Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living - Is It This Simple

Cost Of Living - Is It This Simple

Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:34 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost Of Living - Is It This Simple

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Our outgoings per week in NSW for a family of 3 are:

Groceries - $160
Petrol - $75
Rent - $325
Water - $5 (we're in rented so pay very little)
Gym - $14
Gas - $15
Contents Insurance - $9
2 x mobile phones - $24
Motor Insurance - $15
Electricity - $25
Phone, Broadband and Foxtel combined - $45

Total Per week - $712
Total Per Month - $3085
Total Per Year - $37020

So our annual expenditure on the Everyday things - no savings, no spendings, no after school activities, no eating out, no holidays is $37020! That obviously needs to be what you take home. So...based on $50,000 a year, you should just about be able to pay your bills....but in my opinion...you couldn't really do much else.

Hope this helps

Rach
Hi Rach, these figures do not take into account tax on $50k or the other hand benefits. I think you are right to say that there would be little left over.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 2:32 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hi Rach, these figures do not take into account tax on $50k or the other hand benefits. I think you are right to say that there would be little left over.
Yep I'm not too good on the tax side of things!! Basically our take home is around $65k and these are our out outgoings - I'll leave someone else to work out the tax!!!

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Jul 1st 2008 at 2:39 am.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

If its any use to you, you can have a play with my spreadsheet and work it out for yourself.

I think its pretty self explanatory, but if you struggle with it, just let me know
Attached Files
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

alan_blue is an unknown quantity at this point

ok im struggling with it lol, put all the info in on the left hand side with uk details, what is next?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Fill your UK details in column B in £'s
The Australian Rent / Mortgage goes in K5 (weekly) theres a monthly conversion

Fill in all Aus costs in column H

If you are keeping a house in the UK use the part of the spreadsheet at the bottom adding your monthly mortgage and the rent acheived in respective boxes

Your Aus Salary (annual) goes in K13

Change the Dollar / £ rate in K28

If your spouse works then use the area in the box to put their weekly wage in £ and what you think they will earn in Dollars

I've attached a filled in one as an example
Attached Files
File Type: xls
Cost of living example.XLS (19.5 KB, 109 views)
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Anyone make any use of it ?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:33 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for sharing, Stu, but being a beancounter I have my own - in 3 currencies.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Is the beancounter kind enough to share ?

Maybe i am missing something ?

Stu
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Very similar although mine starts with gross salary and is not as tidy as yours because it evolved from "shall we or shan't we" calculations. (I need to update it, actually, because I haven't accounted for the LAFHA and the car lease tax elements, but we haven't had a "normal" month yet.)

IIRC - I had a quick look when you first posted - you don't have Transport costs or Medical Insurance included. I know we'll never be able to guesstimate everything but I also have Health Supplements and, being a girl, an allowance for toiletries and haircuts.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah i know i'm missing transport and medical

I guess thats where its tailored to my circumstances, fortunately for us, we have a company car and medical paid for by the company

Stu
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:05 pm
Auntie Fa

And neither of us has a booze allowance.

I've posted my list a few times now and cross-ref'd threads here there and everywhere but I'll just list the items I've included as it's good to share ideas. This is based on renting, hence no property insurance or rates; childless couple with one car. In no way comprehensive.

Rent
Contents Insurance
Gas & Electricity
Phone
Mobiles
Internet
Cable TV
Groceries
Cost of running a car
Public Transport
Gym - Membership only
Gym - Personal Trainer
Health Insurance
Health - Supplements, etc
Haircuts, toiletries, etc
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:27 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Hi there

I have posted this previously regarding our set up costs in Brisbane last month - no kids, but a couple who are both working.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543287

I am on $45k which is more than I was in the UK (converted) and hubby is on the same. We are paying the same rent but now live 15 minutes from the city as opposed to 35 minutes (no traffic!) and our rental in the UK was a tiny 2 bed unit and now we have a 3 bed townhouse in a much nicer area.

Already we are better off! We could've spent less on rent, but figure half the reason to move here was for a better lifestyle.

I will be honest some things seem to cost alot more, but STRANGELY my money is going farther????!!!! Some items in the supermarket are heaps more, but then it's swings and roundabouts.

The prices vary alot so you would need to shop around - for example, the main shopping centre cinema cost $14 here, but down the road is an older cinema playing the same stuff for only $8 - it's the same with food and furntiure and rent. Not sure how to explain myself, but I guess with everything being $2 for £1, then the range of prices in Australia is going to vary more.

I have been in Oz for 5 weeks, already I am starting to not compare the prices - you can't and remain sane!! I do think that when I go to UK I will (if I have room) stock up on certain things, like paracetemol and ibuprofen and shampoo... but then again.

Anyway - it's better here!! Research it, but at the end of the day you get over the small differences in price
Old Jul 4th 2008, 7:39 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
Our outgoings per week in NSW for a family of 3 are:

Groceries - $160
Petrol - $75
Rent - $325
Water - $5 (we're in rented so pay very little)
Gym - $14
Gas - $15
Contents Insurance - $9
2 x mobile phones - $24
Motor Insurance - $15
Electricity - $25
Phone, Broadband and Foxtel combined - $45

Total Per week - $712
Total Per Month - $3085
Total Per Year - $37020

So our annual expenditure on the Everyday things - no savings, no spendings, no after school activities, no eating out, no holidays is $37020! That obviously needs to be what you take home. So...based on $50,000 a year, you should just about be able to pay your bills....but in my opinion...you couldn't really do much else.

Hope this helps

Rach
Thought it might put a bit of perspective to add the costs for the same things we pay for here in the UK at the moment per week Family of 3 (teenager... one at Uni, but no costs for that included!)

mortgage £260
Groceries £160
Petrol £90
Water £5
Gym £26.50
Contents insurance £5.50
Electric: £26.50
Broadband/phone £5.00
Sky 10.50
2 mobile phones £16
Motor insurance £5.75

£611.00 per week
£2650 per month
£31,789 per year

I appreciate that our mortgage is quite large... but the shopping bill has gone up sooo much over the last few months and I heard on the radio that meat prices are set to increase by 40% over the next year due to the increased costs of animal feed Already 250g of butter has risen from 65p to 94p in the last few months. The price of bread has increased for 65p to £1.10 too (although i appreciate that it's still cheaper than Australian bread AND it tastes better IMO) The price of fuel is a global thing too so what hits in the UK will also hit in Australia even if it's starting a a lower base the % of income spent on 'essentials' is set to soar for the next couple of years in both countries.

On balance I think that it's still a bit less expensive to live in Australia, but a lot depends on what sort of lifestyle you want.

Actually, having written that down, I'm frankly horrified about how much money we're spending on stuff we have to have!
Old Jul 5th 2008, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

we lived in a town miles from anywhere and now live 40 mins from brisbane cbd so not a far comparison, on the whole i think its about the same shopping wise, we have lower council tax/water and fuel but mortgage is over twice what we were paying in uk, i think all said there is probably not that much in it, oz probably wins by a small amount, but to be honest the cost of living here could be double that in the uk and brad pitt couldnt drag me back there (well alright maybe he could but only for about an hour!!)

Beth
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

First thing you should do when you get here is think and spend in $'s not in £'s

Things are only expensive as you make them ie don't buy branston pickle here it costs a lot but ozzie stuff after all you are a foreigner in a foreign country buy there stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.