Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cost of living for senior citizens

cost of living for senior citizens

Old Apr 16th 2007, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

marke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of living for senior citizens

Hi folks, I wonder if someone can help me.

My brother and I will be relocating to Melbourne towards the end of 2007. Once we are settled, we would like to bring our mother over too.

I understand the immigration requirements, but I am trying to ascertain what kind of money she will need for monthlies. So far, my forum research has suggested that with living in a small two-bedroomed place on a cities outskirts, with modest needs, A$500 per week (with A$175 going towards rent) is what is needed.

what do you think of this?

My mom is a lady of simple tastes, and tends to live VERY cheaply, but she is quiet mobile and active. Naturally myself and my brother can make up any cash flow differences.

I realize that this is a how-long-is-a-piece-of-string question, but some kind of broad input would be appreciated. Other factors to consider; she is 62, has a solid pension, and can put down A$100 000 towards property.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:53 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living for senior citizens

Some things will depend on what visa she has.

Healthcare can be quite expensive: I have had to spend several thousand dollars these last few weeks. Medicare doesn't cover it by a long chalk, and my private fund only coughs up a small proportion of the costs even after the excess.

NSW has a Senior's Card which entitles you to cheap public transport etc, but it's a minor part of the overall cost of living.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:45 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

A big factor in the equasion which helped my in-laws decide to come with us was the fact that they were still being paid (pensions) in sterling.
After 6 months here they say it means they are a lot better off than back in England.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:53 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
A big factor in the equasion which helped my in-laws decide to come with us was the fact that they were still being paid (pensions) in sterling.
After 6 months here they say it means they are a lot better off than back in England.
so did they just contact the pension people, and let them know they were coming over? how do they get it paid, into a uk bank account? sorry for the intrusive questions, but my parents will need to know this.