Reload this Page >

Cost of Living in Perth, WA

Cost of Living in Perth, WA

Old Jun 4th 2020, 8:39 am
Just Joined

NandoF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Living in Perth, WA

Originally Posted by Beoz
But how do you figure that they are paying the same amount? Surely you earn pounds in Glasgow and the jobs in Perth are in Aussie dollars?

Totally different currencies and through your research on BE you would know using the exchange rate calc on this type of thing is totally irrelevant.
I meant we would be earning the equivalent amount in Australian dollars as we do in pounds in the UK
Old Jun 4th 2020, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by carcajou
No ties are required, however to get a points total high enough to actually be drawn and get an invitation, you need to be able to tick the points box(es) for things like graduated from university here, have Australian work experience, etc.

65 points is what is required to submit an EoI, and unfortunately many intending migrants misinterpret that to think that is what is required to get an invitation - when the reality is that the last time anyone with less than 85 points was invited, it was October. 65 gets you into the pool but it doesn't in any practical sense get you drawn for an invitation. 95, as per the latest draw, is quite high but it has reached that before - most recently in January. Generally right now you need 85 or 90.

Additionally since the EoIs get prioritised by time order - it means that if the draw does dip below 85 points again, those who submitted earlier, will be drawn.

So debating the cost of living in Perth vs Glasgow and the various suburbs is all academic for OP unless they are on a high points total, and not the minimum (or at near the minimum) to be drawn - which is why I asked their points total.
We have 85 points and it is my partner's father who lives in Perth that will be sponsoring us. I have no concerns about being granted the visa.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NandoF
I meant we would be earning the equivalent amount in Australian dollars as we do in pounds in the UK
That sounds like you are doing pretty well in Scotland to be honest. One reason seems to be that you want to be closer to your partner's father but then again you have to live your life. Sure Perth is very sunny but also very remote and having a good life in Europe is worth a lot too.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't understand what you mean there. Do you mean on todays exchange rate? What about 3 weeks ago. The exchange rate has fluctuated 9% since then. What about in 3 weeks time?

Throw the exchange rate thing out the window. It's totally irrelevant.

Also don't over cook it. That spreadsheet with a loaf of bread price on it. It's not worth it. It will do your head in.

I always say you need a bare minimum of 2x AUD to pounds to be breaking even. More likely 2.2 to be satisfied. 2.5 to be happy.

This site does a pretty good job of figuring it out for you. Again it's not an exact science.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ow&city2=Perth
Old Jun 7th 2020, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Perthscot is an unknown quantity at this point

The cost of living is higher but so are the salaries. I reckon you’ll be better off here.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning,

My partner and I have started to put the wheels in motion to emigrate to Australia. I am a Quantity Surveyor and she is a structural engineer. We have looked at jobs and would both be earning around the same amount in WA as we are where we are living at the moment (Glasgow, Scotland). I was wondering if anyone could kindly tell me if we will be able to live the same lifestyle in WA as we do in Scotland, on the same salaries we are earning here? I know certain things can be more expensive in Australia (groceries, alcohol etc) but was wondering if it would all balance out? My concern is that we would both need to be earning more in WA than we are here in Glasgow, to have the same or similar standard of living.

I should stress that we are planning on living in the suburbs (possibly Waikiki or Freemantle) and definitely not Perth itself, as I know property can be expensive in Perth.

Thanks in advance.
If your salaries are the same then you must be earning at lot for UK standards and you should have a very good/high standard of living in the UK, I would not want to live in Australia unless I could match ( if I had a high standard of living in UK already) or better that standard. Fremantle is way more expensive (unless there are still some not so disirable suburbs left) than Waikiki which has cheaper homes for a reason... distance to Perth, Schooling etc.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
If your salaries are the same then you must be earning at lot for UK standards and you should have a very good/high standard of living in the UK, I would not want to live in Australia unless I could match ( if I had a high standard of living in UK already) or better that standard. Fremantle is way more expensive (unless there are still some not so disirable suburbs left) than Waikiki which has cheaper homes for a reason... distance to Perth, Schooling etc.
I don't think they mean that at all. There is no such thing as "earning the same" when different currencies and cost of livings are involved.

Old Jun 12th 2020, 9:59 am
Just Joined

By UK standards we are definitely pretty comfortable. I'm estimating our combined income will be around 160,000 Aud. I'm aware the cost of living is higher than the UK in WA so just want to check we are not going to be worse off. We are planning on staying in the outer suburbs, perhaps fremantle of waikiki even.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

You will be better off than living in Glasgow, was there 30 years ago, why isn’t you’re relative giving you the situation here? My advice, go for it but don’t buy straight away, you can rent a nice house for 6 months and suss out the place.
came from Glasgow, been good to us, but it’s a place where you need to get to know the right people, same as anywhere I suppose, trust me, you won’t regret it, what you got to lose if you have no kids, go back if you don’t like it.
if you like the pub scene on a Friday, Saturday, different social life, better though..
Forget about Freo and Waikiki, take you’re time, depends on work, upsizing, usual suburbs considerations, etc...don’t rush.
good luck.

Last edited by Perthscot; Jun 12th 2020 at 2:13 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2020, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Perthscot
You will be better off than living in Glasgow, was there 30 years ago, why isn’t you’re relative giving you the situation here? My advice, go for it but don’t buy straight away, you can rent a nice house for 6 months and suss out the place.
came from Glasgow, been good to us, but it’s a place where you need to get to know the right people, same as anywhere I suppose, trust me, you won’t regret it, what you got to lose if you have no kids, go back if you don’t like it.
if you like the pub scene on a Friday, Saturday, different social life, better though..
Forget about Freo and Waikiki, take you’re time, depends on work, upsizing, usual suburbs considerations, etc...don’t rush.
good luck.
Thanks for your advice mate. What do you do for work over there if you don't mind me asking? Did you find it easy enough to settle over there?
Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:08 am
Just Joined

I’m a mechanical engineer, wife a nurse. Settled quite quickly but you’ve got to tell yourselves to give it two years even if you don’t like it straight away.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Perthscot
I’m a mechanical engineer, wife a nurse. Settled quite quickly but you’ve got to tell yourselves to give it two years even if you don’t like it straight away.
Thanks again mate
Old Jun 15th 2020, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

If your guaranteed Jobs and the salary and your not happy in the UK then "go for it" I would rent first and take your time looking at areas before we actually arrived in Perth, we always thought we would end up North of the river near the coast....But we were not keen on a lot of the suburbs and the distance to Perth itself...we started off in Roleystone area but after a number of moves we ended up closer to Fremantle and Perth itself which suited us just fine. Good luck