British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Cost of living in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-living-perth-946789/)

Kelpie Jan 18th 2023 1:19 pm

Cost of living in Perth

How do you find out the cost of living for Perth?

We’ll be going with 245000 AUD and jobs I’ve found we’ll be making like 2306 AUD a week combined for a family of four.

How do you apply for rental properties too, can you do it from England or do you have to be physically in Australia to do it?

we’re at the beginning of the process thinking of applying for the 189 visa, I have 75 points on it and my husband has 70 and if I’m correct you need 65 - we don’t really have any work experience as we’ve just graduated but thinking of applying now as I know it can take up to 24 months and working in the mean time but not sure if that’s the right thing to do?

Pollyana Jan 18th 2023 4:48 pm

Re: Cost of living in Perth

Originally Posted by Kelpie (Post 13166566)

We’ll be going with 245000 AUD and jobs I’ve found we’ll be making like 2306 AUD a week combined for a family of four.

How do you apply for rental properties too, can you do it from England or do you have to be physically in Australia to do it?

we’re at the beginning of the process thinking of applying for the 189 visa, I have 75 points on it and my husband has 70 and if I’m correct you need 65 - we don’t really have any work experience as we’ve just graduated but thinking of applying now as I know it can take up to 24 months and working in the mean time but not sure if that’s the right thing to do?

Very few if any agents would rent a property to you before you arrive, and even if they would, the advice will always be - don't do it!
Agents here are excellent at stretching the truth, and embellishing the photos, so places that look like palaces online are actually dives. Also you really need to get a feeling of an area before you move to it.
The usual, thing to do is get a hotel/airbnb or similar for the first few weeks, and look around once you are here.

brits1 Jan 19th 2023 11:44 am

I would concentrate on your visa applications first, then jobs etc if and when you do gain those then you can always find temp accommodation near to where you employment is going to be and then get a feel of which area suits you best as the metropolitan area of Perth covers a larger area and like most cities certain areas come at a premium it’s really only then can you decide on an area. If you have student debt have you factored that into your finances? We left for Perth back in 1998 without ever having visited Australia, we did not know a soul there and neither of us had jobs to go to we also had two young children so if we did it and made a success of the move I am sure you will be fine. Good luck with everything.

verystormy Jan 20th 2023 4:37 am

Have you looked at if you can pass the skills assessment, as very few new graduates are eligible to pass a skills assessment.

Have you checked the other requirements such as age, English language (if you are claiming points for English you will need to sit English exams).

paddy234 Jan 21st 2023 9:49 am

We are a family of 4 and make a similar income (unless i work away) and to be honest we find the cost of living to be not bad. Much better than New Zealand where we moved from however i can't compare it to the UK. You really only need one partner working full time here which i don't know is possible in the UK/Ireland at the moment? We came over with $180,000 AUD and had more than enough to setup for getting a rental, furniture, two cars and a 20% deposit for a house build so you guys have more than enough. House prices here have now started to flatline and inflation is starting to settle down. Getting full time jobs and having at least a 20% will be key if you guys want to buy relatively quickly

As for applying for rental properties. There is a severe shortage of rentals in Perth at the moment aswell as all of Australia due to the lunatics in the Asylum locking down the country causing a housing shortage by restricting both the flow of skilled labor and the flow of materials to keep up with demand. However saying this it is getting slightly better in the building side of things, supply of materials has started to catch up so who knows how bad it will be when you guys decide to come which could be 2 years. As others have mentioned get an immigration agent to give you advice to see if you guys are eligible at the moment and guide you through the process

MO_90 Mar 25th 2023 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 13166814)
I would concentrate on your visa applications first, then jobs etc if and when you do gain those then you can always find temp accommodation near to where you employment is going to be and then get a feel of which area suits you best as the metropolitan area of Perth covers a larger area and like most cities certain areas come at a premium it’s really only then can you decide on an area. If you have student debt have you factored that into your finances? We left for Perth back in 1998 without ever having visited Australia, we did not know a soul there and neither of us had jobs to go to we also had two young children so if we did it and made a success of the move I am sure you will be fine. Good luck with everything.

I could be in a similar position next year as you were in 1998.
I'm struggling to press the start button on the visa application process. We have a price from an agency to obtain 190 Visa but can't fathom going for it without knowing where to live in Perth, what schools are decent and securing a job before we go.

Moses2013 Mar 25th 2023 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by paddy234 (Post 13167216)
You really only need one partner working full time here which i don't know is possible in the UK/Ireland at the moment?

I don't know about that and be it Australia, UK or Ireland there are plenty of people who would need two incomes and there are others who easily manage on one. To generalise would be wrong and a lot will depend on your personal situation, exact location and spending habits. The OP has huge savings which will certainly help and that is basically a paid off house for some, but of course moving costs and high rents can reduce that budget quickly. In Ireland we both work and can probably save 2-3K a month on an average and slightly above average salary which would only be a bit more than the OP would be earning alone. We don't have kids though. Very hard to compare unless one looks at the exact location and costs they have now. I know people in mentioned countries who do very well and others who don't.

old.sparkles Mar 25th 2023 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by MO_90 (Post 13182188)
I could be in a similar position next year as you were in 1998.
I'm struggling to press the start button on the visa application process. We have a price from an agency to obtain 190 Visa but can't fathom going for it without knowing where to live in Perth, what schools are decent and securing a job before we go.

You will need skills assessment(s) to progress as a first step and you can do that yourselves.

spouse of scouse Mar 26th 2023 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13182197)
I don't know about that and be it Australia, UK or Ireland there are plenty of people who would need two incomes and there are others who easily manage on one. To generalise would be wrong and a lot will depend on your personal situation, exact location and spending habits. The OP has huge savings which will certainly help and that is basically a paid off house for some, but of course moving costs and high rents can reduce that budget quickly. In Ireland we both work and can probably save 2-3K a month on an average and slightly above average salary which would only be a bit more than the OP would be earning alone. We don't have kids though. Very hard to compare unless one looks at the exact location and costs they have now. I know people in mentioned countries who do very well and others who don't.

Just a point for people thinking of moving to Perth - you won't get a house in a condition or location you'd want to live in for $245,000. You might get a very small flat in an ok location, a small unit in a not so ok location, or a pre-fabricated unit in a caravan park, and all of those come with ongoing strata/management fees.

the troubadour Mar 26th 2023 4:16 am

We in Perth, now officially have the highest number of rough sleepers (those sleeping outside) of all Australian cities. Rents are still hard to find, but we are not alone in that as everywhere is experiencing a shortage. Perth and WA has a huge issue with methamphetamine, which I expect inflates prices as well. But officially we seem to be one of the cheapest cities to buy a house (which is hardly cheap ) Supermarket prices and eating out is expensive.