Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living in NZ Help Please

Cost of Living in NZ Help Please

Old May 29th 2003, 9:57 am
Just Joined

ukdavros is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living in NZ Help Please

Do you feel you are better off out there.
What is considered a good wage out there.
On another post it was mentioned some area of Auckland a pretty bad, poverty etc. Is this a problem out there.
Is there anywhere I can get an idea on Average bills, Electric,Gas,Water,Telephone etc.
What do you reckon it cost you to get over there.
Would you do it again.
Anybody know a ball park figure for a nurses wage for my girlfriend who was an NHS Staff Nurse on a surgical ward in the UK. But now Manages a residential nursing home in the UK for Parkinsons Disease

I filled in some assessment forms last Tuesday for an Immigration Agent. They rang me Wednesday to see how serious I was and to say if I had a job offer there would be no problem as I was only a couple of points Off. I then thought I will sent my CV off to a few people and got a couple of replies the next day, asking when can I go for an interview.
Things seem to happen much quicker than I thought.
I do feel bad about leaving my parents in this dump of a country, and for them to visit means long flights an expensive, cheapest flights ive found is £700 each. I would like them to move over themselves later but as my mother is on constant medication for Thyroid and blood pressure they probably wont be let in. How can I find out what this on going treatment would cost and could they get in if they or myself can pay for the treatment. The are both Retired.
Also Getting our cats out there doesnt seem a problem, but the girlfriend has a tortoise, where can I find out if there is a restiction on Tortoises.
Sorry for all the questions
Thanks
Mark
Old May 29th 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Nurses salary about $35 - 40 dependant on experience.
Old May 30th 2003, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks Roger
Old May 30th 2003, 8:38 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty sure you can oly bring in dog or cat to NZ, no other pets allowed. Hasta la vista, Timmy Tortoise!

You can't retire to NZ so your parents would have to look at another route, presumably they are too old/ won't qualify for PR? Check out Family Migration options:

Parent
You may qualify under the Family Parent category if you are sponsored by an adult child 17 years or over, who is a New Zealand citizen or resident living lawfully and permanently in New Zealand.

You may be granted residence if you are:
the parent of an adult child 17 years or over who is a New Zealand citizen or resident who sponsors your application; and
the ‘centre of gravity’ of your family is in New Zealand..
Please note: Grandparents and legal guardians are also considered as parents in some situations (see Grandparents and Legal Guardians below.)

Centre of gravity

The ‘centre of gravity’ of your family is in New Zealand if either:

the principal applicant parent has no dependent children, and

the number of their adult children lawfully and permanently in New Zealand is equal to or greater than those lawfully and permanently in any other single country, including the country in which the principal applicant is lawfully and permanently; or

the principal applicant parent has dependent children, and

the number of their adult children lawfully and permanently in New Zealand is equal to or greater than those lawfully and permanently in any other single country, including the country in which the principal applicant parent is lawfully and permanently, and

the number of their dependent children is equal to or fewer than, the number of their adult children who are lawfully and permanently in New Zealand.
Please note: Under parent policy, ‘children of the principal applicant’ and the ‘principal applicant’s family’ include:

all biological or adopted children of the principal applicant; and
any child of the principal applicant ’s spouse or de facto partner (whether or not the spouse or de facto partner is included in the application), if that child has lived as part of the principal applicant ’s family unit for a predominant period of the child ’s life between the time their relationship with the principal applicant began and when the child turned 17 years of age.
In addition, you and any family included in your application must meet health and character requirements.

Cheers - Don
Old May 30th 2003, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks Don
That was most helpful.
Regards
Mark