Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Melbourne

Wikiposts

Cost of living in Melbourne

Old May 29th 2012, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Noorhanna
Thank you all for your replies. From my understanding is that alot of people just buy clothes from online. Is that online from back home in the UK and have items delivered? I have checked out Debenhams they deliver to OZ and Next, Marks and Spencer do the same. Is that the best way and cheapest way?

What shops are in Australia that we also have in the UK? Have seen ELC, Next, Pumpkin Patch. Are there any others?

Can you order from Amazon easily and have delivered to Australia? Even eletrical stuff etc? No restrictions imposed by the country to allow them in the country?

Are there shops like Primark, Argos, Sainsburys/Tesco's own brand items clothes, toys etc for cheap?

What's their famous toy store called?

Thank you all for your input in this topic. Trying to make an informed decision about moving to Australia and get a better picture how things are there.

Hanna
As far as I know, there isn't Next out here?
Old May 29th 2012, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hanna, I was not referring to the exchange rate. The prices of goods in the shops in Australia do not rise and fall in concurrence with exchange rates! I was referring to the real cost of living. Something that costs you one pound in the UK will cost you $2.50 here (rough average). If you earn one pound in the UK you should earn $2.50 here for the same job (roughly).

The exchange rate only really matters if you are transferring assets between countries.

BB
I disagree. 2.5 is too much. 2 is more realistic I have found.
Old May 29th 2012, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hanna, I was not referring to the exchange rate. The prices of goods in the shops in Australia do not rise and fall in concurrence with exchange rates! I was referring to the real cost of living. Something that costs you one pound in the UK will cost you $2.50 here (rough average). If you earn one pound in the UK you should earn $2.50 here for the same job (roughly).

The exchange rate only really matters if you are transferring assets between countries.

BB
The McDonalds hamburger rate then?

A 30 pence burger in UK being $2 Euro in Paris :-)
Many years ago
Old May 29th 2012, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

Noorhanna is an unknown quantity at this point

What about going out like cost of cinema, eating out for instance fast food like
food Macd or Pizza are they cheaper or not? How much is the cost of
a cinema ticket?
Old May 29th 2012, 8:11 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorhanna
What about going out like cost of cinema, eating out for instance fast food like
food Macd or Pizza are they cheaper or not? How much is the cost of
a cinema ticket?
cinema:Adult 18.50 Child 13.50
Old May 29th 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
cinema:Adult 18.50 Child 13.50
How about parking?

CBD $80 per day (excl early bird)?

Airport $12 per 10 mins
Old May 29th 2012, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
How about parking?

CBD $80 per day (excl early bird)?

Airport $12 per 10 mins
I didn't see the post about parking.
Do you want to know about parking?
Old May 29th 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I didn't see the post about parking.
Do you want to know about parking?
I think the parking is more expensive in Australia
Old May 29th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

cost of parking in melbourne cbd @ parking meters ranging from $4 per hour / $4 per 2 hours in the cbd

try getting that in the middle of london on a parking meter
Old May 29th 2012, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Some of those prices on the website seem too high. 1L of ice cream for over $9? That must be the most expensive gourmet variety - you can pay a lot less than that. The price for the filet of fish was also for the most expensive variety - you can usually get excellent fresh fish fillets for around $20 per kg.

In Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne we have Costco which has cheap quality clothes and appliances. The clothes prices, for example, are similar to what you would pay in North America like $20 for a pair of jeans. In fact you could probably do 70% of your shopping at Costco if you really wanted to and most of the rest online.

Australia is an expensive country, no doubt about it, but if you're careful you don't have to shell out a lot of money to have a decent standard of living.
Old May 30th 2012, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
cost of parking in melbourne cbd @ parking meters ranging from $4 per hour / $4 per 2 hours in the cbd

try getting that in the middle of london on a parking meter
I find parking in Melbourne pretty cheap when you consider you've driven in to a major city's CBD - and get convenience.

I never drove into London - and parked, and indeed often it's free too.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

LayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant future

The "true" exchange rate is probably $2.5 : 1 pound. So a pair of jeans costing $100 would be the equivalent of a pair of jeans in England costing 40 pounds.

The same applies to salaries, if you earn 40,000 pounds you will maintain much the same standard of living by earning $100,000 here.

BB
I concur with this 100%. Work on this as your general approach, it is effectively where the rate was only a few years ago and the price of goods(except new German cars) pretty much reflects it.

There are bargains about. K-Mart fiited us up with most of our essentials when we arrived and 9 months later pretty much all of them are still working.

For clothes, Target is cheapish and fairly ok. There are also a number of designer outlets where bargains can be picked up. Avoid the CBD stores if you want to catch a bargain.
Old May 30th 2012, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

LayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant futureLayaboutSi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by itigo
As far as I know, there isn't Next out here?
There was talk of a TopShop opening on Chapel Street.
Old May 30th 2012, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

ldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud ofldticp has much to be proud of

A lot of these prices are way off and most likely are the top end of what you would pay, imagine going to the most expensive shop for a particular thing and then telling everyone thats the normal cost. Thats what this website is doing.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...-and-groceries

I went shopping on sunday, local green grocers and butchers right next door to woolworths..
Watermelon : 90c a kilo
Bread wholegrain standard size loaf $1.49
Bananas 99c a kilo
Milk $2 for 2 litres
Apples 99c a kilo

Now I could have gone to Woolworths right next door and paid..
Watermelon : $4.99 a kilo
Bread wholegrain standard size loaf $3.99
Bananas $4.99 a kilo
Milk $3 for 2 litres
Apples $3.99 a kilo

I have to explain this to people who already live here all the time... shop around don't just buy everything at Coles or Woolworths ffs ...

I can buy steak for $23.99 a kilo at Coles or $12.99 at the butchers next door... it's a no brainer but for some reason people just dont get it.
Old May 30th 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
I think the parking is more expensive in Australia
It's interesting to see what people find bothersome.
I noticed in one of your posts on another thread that your outgoings were 3k a week.
You're obviously on a good wicket if you're managing to cover that so why worry about the cost of parking.

It cost me 10 bucks last night to park at the MCG.
I'm ok with that but I wouldn't pay 80 for a day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.