Reload this Page >

Cost of living in melbourne

Cost of living in melbourne

Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:20 am
Just Joined

ngsome1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in melbourne

Folks,

I am going to melbourne for looking a job on Jan 2012. I am wondering about the cost of living for single. let say i will renting a common room in east part of melbourne. I am planning to stay about 6 months to find a job. could you share how much money should i have for 6 months?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in melbourne

Hi There,

Better go to Melbourne in mid february or even in early March. please check to seek.com.au. Usually more job vacancies at that time.
i would suggest you to start finding temp job as soon as you are here in melb.

Find a good place could be hard if you do not have car. I recommend you to allocate a budget for car rental around 250-500 for 1-2 weeks, the cheapest one could be rent-a-bomb car rental. Don't forget to have your GPS to help you driving around. GPS helped me a lot in melbourne

1 room share house could be around 100-200 a week. the closer to city/ train station, could be more expensive. I recommend a place closer to train station, although a bit more expensive..this will safe your transport fee and time. Please check gumtree melbourne. OR REALESTATE.COM.AU or domain.com.au

I think 3000-5000 AUD should be enough for single to cover your unemployment for 2-3 months in Melbourne...as long as you don't party too much or eating out too much . Anyway everybody not have the same lifestyle budget.

Hope this help.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Hi There,

thanks for quick response, 3000-5000 AUD is enough for 2-3 months ?? someone told me, he said i have to prepare min 2000AUD for 1 month cost of living in melbourne, it is assumed i do not have party no car, everyday using public transport. could you please give me more detail expense in melbourne? say food, transport, room, handphone, internet, etc

thanks a lot

Originally Posted by EinsteinJ

Better go to Melbourne in mid february or even in early March. please check to seek.com.au. Usually more job vacancies at that time.

Find a good place could be hard if you do not have car. I recommend you to allocate a budget for car rental around 250-500 for 1-2 weeks, the cheapest one could be rent-a-bomb car rental. Don't forget to have your GPS to help you driving around. GPS helped me a lot in melbourne

1 room share house could be around 100-200 a week. the closer to city/ train station, could be more expensive. I recommend a place closer to train station, although a bit more expensive..this will safe your transport fee and time. Please check gumtree melbourne. OR REALESTATE.COM.AU or domain.com.au

I think 3000-5000 AUD should be enough for single to cover your unemployment for 2-3 months in Melbourne...as long as you don't party too much or eating out too much . Anyway everybody not have the same lifestyle budget.

Hope this help.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 10:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ngsome1981
Hi There,

thanks for quick response, 3000-5000 AUD is enough for 2-3 months ?? someone told me, he said i have to prepare min 2000AUD for 1 month cost of living in melbourne, it is assumed i do not have party no car, everyday using public transport. could you please give me more detail expense in melbourne? say food, transport, room, handphone, internet, etc

thanks a lot
If you use the search facility on the forum you will find many many threads about the cost of living in Melbourne
Old Aug 15th 2011, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Maybe you need around 1500 AUD per month to cover your basic stuff . But again it depend on your lifestyle.

Here is my roughly detail for expenses per month:

Rent = +/- 400-500AUD
If you do not mind with only the basic, you could get as little as 80 AUD/week, http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/f-Un...Z18510QQSortZ3

Public Transport = +/- 200-250 AUD
Just buy 10x 2 hours for weekday for 50AUD, this will cover your weekday travel. In the weekend, i usually bought 5x weekend daily card (saturday and sunday only) cost me around 15 AUD. However, i never use it on Sunday as i always bought sundaysaver on sunday which cost me around 3.6 AUD . Do not buy weekly pass as you may not go for travelling everyday. JUst my opinion

Food = +/- 200-400 AUD
This depend heavily on your lifestyle, if you prepare your own lunch and eat dinner at home, this should not be hard thing to do. Try to shop in Asian groceries which usually give you better price than normal price from major supermarket such as coles and woolworth...some people say that ALDI have better price. However, sometimes the major supermarket give better price when the SALE is coming.......the only think i do not like, you have to buy at least two item to get special price......

Internet =+/- 50 AUD
I go with vodafone with 12 months internet contract. some provider will cost lesser and some of them need you to pay more such as big ponds - telstra, but the connection is better...my opinion

International Phone = +/- 10 AUD
My wife talk regularly with family every week for more than 30 minutes each session using calling phone card such as lebara or lyca......but you need to have spare HP to put the sim card on. Bring two mobile phone if you can.

Mobile phone = +/- 20-50 AUD
It depend on your purposes, lots of variety in australia...make me headache hahhahaa...but the first time i came here, i use prepaid that allow me to have more talk time with limited period ( 30 day expired). Then after i settle i go with prepaid 365 days expired. I regularly top up my vodafone for 20 AUD every 30-40 days as i only use for receive phone.

So my reccomendation is 1250 AUD/ month...if i do not forget other stuff

Note:

If you want to do some photocopies, better go to Officework, not the library, coz it is cheaper. K-mart has good value for shopping your basic stuff. I usually check to melbourne gumtree to find second hand goods for setting up in melbourne.

You need car to find job for the first time. Although train and buses are good, but car more convenient. just be carefull with toll pass in melbourne
Old Aug 15th 2011, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

EinsteinJ,

Thanks for great explanation and tips. I really appreciated it ! based on your experience, how long did you wait to get permanent / official job in melbourne? Fyi i am IT professional

Maybe you need around 1500 AUD per month to cover your basic stuff . But again it depend on your lifestyle.

Here is my roughly detail for expenses per month:

Rent = +/- 400-500AUD
If you do not mind with only the basic, you could get as little as 80 AUD/week, http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/f-Un...Z18510QQSortZ3

Public Transport = +/- 200-250 AUD
Just buy 10x 2 hours for weekday for 50AUD, this will cover your weekday travel. In the weekend, i usually bought 5x weekend daily card (saturday and sunday only) cost me around 15 AUD. However, i never use it on Sunday as i always bought sundaysaver on sunday which cost me around 3.6 AUD . Do not buy weekly pass as you may not go for travelling everyday. JUst my opinion

Food = +/- 200-400 AUD
This depend heavily on your lifestyle, if you prepare your own lunch and eat dinner at home, this should not be hard thing to do. Try to shop in Asian groceries which usually give you better price than normal price from major supermarket such as coles and woolworth...some people say that ALDI have better price. However, sometimes the major supermarket give better price when the SALE is coming.......the only think i do not like, you have to buy at least two item to get special price......

Internet =+/- 50 AUD
I go with vodafone with 12 months internet contract. some provider will cost lesser and some of them need you to pay more such as big ponds - telstra, but the connection is better...my opinion

International Phone = +/- 10 AUD
My wife talk regularly with family every week for more than 30 minutes each session using calling phone card such as lebara or lyca......but you need to have spare HP to put the sim card on. Bring two mobile phone if you can.

Mobile phone = +/- 20-50 AUD
It depend on your purposes, lots of variety in australia...make me headache hahhahaa...but the first time i came here, i use prepaid that allow me to have more talk time with limited period ( 30 day expired). Then after i settle i go with prepaid 365 days expired. I regularly top up my vodafone for 20 AUD every 30-40 days as i only use for receive phone.

So my reccomendation is 1250 AUD/ month...if i do not forget other stuff

Note:

If you want to do some photocopies, better go to Officework, not the library, coz it is cheaper. K-mart has good value for shopping your basic stuff. I usually check to melbourne gumtree to find second hand goods for setting up in melbourne.

You need car to find job for the first time. Although train and buses are good, but car more convenient. just be carefull with toll pass in melbourne
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ngsome1981
EinsteinJ,

Thanks for great explanation and tips. I really appreciated it ! based on your experience, how long did you wait to get permanent / official job in melbourne? Fyi i am IT professional
hahaha.......if you good in your hometown, you will be relatively good in here ....i suggest just take what ever possible work for your 1st job, then look around again after 3 months.......as long as the money come in first.

I have been here for almost 4 months, sent CV for 10 application, got 5 interviews, turned down 1 offer, have been work for 2 companies.... however, I am not pure in IT, just CNC programmer/operator, cad/cam designer.

Please look hard on seek.com.au...good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Einstein,

Thanks for your response. may i know where you are from? how long have u been living in melbourne?

hahaha.......if you good in your hometown, you will be relatively good in here ....i suggest just take what ever possible work for your 1st job, then look around again after 3 months.......as long as the money come in first.

I have been here for almost 4 months, sent CV for 10 application, got 5 interviews, turned down 1 offer, have been work for 2 companies.... however, I am not pure in IT, just CNC programmer/operator, cad/cam designer.

Please look hard on seek.com.au...good luck.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I got to disagree. I came in Feb, just got settled, then winter hit ....... still waiting for it to end.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
I got to disagree. I came in Feb, just got settled, then winter hit ....... still waiting for it to end.
I think it depend on your job type . Rather than go to Melbourne in December or January, I would prefer to go in February or early March as the chance is better . Most people make their move or assess their job in early year or at the end of year, so there may be better chance of job opportunities.

I came in March, at that time there were plenty job openings, but i felt settle down after taking my 2nd job in May.

If you are working for retail/sales consultant, coming in December or November is really good idea as that time is the busiest time in retail/sales.

Anyway........at this moment Melbourne is pretty much slowdown for kind of job like i do (CNC Programming).

Note: Been here for almost 4 months and i had been living in NZ for over a decade