Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living - Gold Coast

Cost of living - Gold Coast

Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:59 am
Just Joined

boxer1982 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living - Gold Coast

Hi me and my family are moving to the Gold Coast either pacific pines or helensvale by the looks of it from UK in april. Basically my salary will be 120k plus bonuses. My boss reckons after tax and super etc I should take home roughly $6110 pm. Firstly would anyone suggest that a rental at $500pw be too much or easily affordable which brings me on to my next question. What is the average outgoings each month roughly in areas like these. I.e

Gas/electric
Phone, tinterweb, satellite
Council tax......if it exists??
Food ( 2 adults 2 kids) guesstimate......?

I don't want to keep asking my new boss these questions in case he thinks I'm patronizing my salary lol. And also it puts my wife's mind at rest as she is constantly reading about how expensive everything is.

Many thanks

Andy
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:53 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living - Gold Coast

Originally Posted by boxer1982
Hi me and my family are moving to the Gold Coast either pacific pines or helensvale by the looks of it from UK in april. Basically my salary will be 120k plus bonuses. My boss reckons after tax and super etc I should take home roughly $6110 pm. Firstly would anyone suggest that a rental at $500pw be too much or easily affordable which brings me on to my next question. What is the average outgoings each month roughly in areas like these. I.e

Gas/electric

I don't want to keep asking my new boss these questions in case he thinks I'm patronizing my salary lol. And also it puts my wife's mind at rest as she is constantly reading about how expensive everything is.

Many thanks

Andy
Gas/electric 500 to 750 a quarter
Phone, 30 a month
tinterweb, 200gb 100 a month
satellite no idea sorry
Council tax......if it exists?? normally rentals inc rates sometime you have to pay for water say about 600 year
Food ( 2 adults 2 kids) guesstimate......? 300 a week
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Cost of living - Gold Coast

Originally Posted by boxer1982

Gas/electric

Many thanks

Andy
Steveos doing well with a 30 a month phone.

We have an Iphone 5 which we bought outright, 800 bucks each and have an 80 a month contract but you can get them cheaper. Depends what you want. Think Iphone 4s are cheap now.

Everything else steveo said was spot on, out quarterly leckie is about 600-700 but we hardly use the air con and my study is like mission control and I never turn anything off. Our telephone/tinternet is 130 a month but I have a 1100 gig allowance. Petrol is about 150 a litre, was 112 when I got here. Clothes shopping for designed stuff is horrendous, I go back to the UK on Saturday for a hol and will be spending a couple of grand on clothes as they are just too dear over here. Surfer stuff, billabong, all that's ok and there are plenty of outlets. Food, you can shops around pretty cheap, you get what you pay for, me and the wife go in too pick up a couple of things and all of a sudden 200 bucks has gone lol. Travel to brissy peak train one way is 9 bucks, driving is a nightmare to brassy unless you leave at 5am. Rego is about 350 for 6 months depending on car, our jeep is 50 bucks a month to insure. no council tax. we pay 100 a month for foxtel for everything but movies - did I mention the 1100 allowance haha. Beer is 5 bucks a schooey, bit less than a pint, I paid 11 last night in Brisbane - robbing barstards. I would have thought you would have picked up a little less than 6110, my friend was on 140k and picked up about 6300, but I am not that sure. Rentals, 500 can get you a decent one now, prices have come down a lot. We live in Coomera Waters just up from Helensvale and pay 575 for a big detached, 500 will be plenty.

Anything else, send me a PM

Sean