Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

COST OF LIVING COMPARISION

COST OF LIVING COMPARISION

Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COST OF LIVING COMPARISION

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is also about the cost of living, not about the cost of moving, and how far your UK capital in £ will last.

There is a big difference between a person living in Australia and being paid in A$ to the person working here on assignment and being paid in GBP, with an extra GBP allowance to cover the exchange rate changes.
My husband still gets paid in GBP and the weakness of the pound has definitley made things more expensive here.........now of course they are not more expensive, just feel more expensive as our pound does not go as far
Old Jul 18th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Sydney and moved to Perth. Overall we find Perth a fair bit more expensive. The rent is about the same - we pay less now but dont live anywhere near the city. But pretty much everything else is higher. My salary is about the same and our lifestyle about the same but we pay a lot more for it
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

jayne3411 is on a distinguished road

Quite frankly the cost of living in australia at the moment is massive. Food, housing, although more to do outside for free. It's certainly putting us off even if the exchange rate was up, still blood expensive, big shock when we visited. Supermarket was like shopping in Harrods. It ain't all moonlight and roses

Jane

Last edited by jayne3411; Jul 18th 2010 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

DibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really niceDibDob is just really nice

Originally Posted by jayne3411
Quite frankly the cost of living in australia at the moment is massive. Food, housing, although more to do outside for free. It's certainly putting us off even if the exchange rate was up, still blood expensive, big shock when we visited. Supermarket was like shopping in Harrods. It ain't all moonlight and roses

Jane
Jane i kept hearing this over and over again before i came out here, i have been here 8 weeks now, and find food shopping cheaper here than the uk, could you list things that you found really expensive like shopping in harrods would love to know?!!?!?!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Its a bit more expensive than UK, but never 2.5x more

Rents are similar.

Food, beer, transport is about 30% more expensive I'd say. Although if you go to markets food can be much cheaper.

Internet + mobile phone is a lot more - about 50% more at least.

I've found my energy bills to be less as we are out more and have the heating on less, although unit for unit it may be more, havent worked it out.

This is comparing London to Sydney btw
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Which means that for those comming from say northern England it will be a massive shock and easily 2.5x. We came from Leicester and reckon its about double.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Which means that for those comming from say northern England it will be a massive shock and easily 2.5x. We came from Leicester and reckon its about double.
Well, its more moving from rural to the city thats the difference then.

If you were moving to London instead of Australia, things would also be more expensive.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Ianda and ABC are right. We moved here 2 months ago and its bloody expensive. I just went to the cobblers to put some soles on my shoes - $43 and thats just for the fronts - not for the heels!!

Everything is expensive. But I'd still rather be here. Galba's comparison at the start was very interesting and sounded about right

And finally uranus is right too. The lazy get who started this post should do a search instead of asking stupid questions - there's millions of threads about this
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:58 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

If you were moving to London instead of Australia, things would also be more expensive.
yes but you'd be more or less doubling your income.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

Rural Australia is more expensive in food and goods than the Cities, costs more because of transport, les competition. The further you go away from the cities, the more expensive
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:00 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Rural Australia is more expensive in food and goods than the Cities, costs more because of transport, les competition. The further you go away from the cities, the more expensive
Bollox! I live in a small town in Central Queensland and my local coles is cheaper than a one I just visited in Perth.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by galba
Can't compare the different cities but can give you an idea if comparing UK and OZ (Perth).

We are international expats, so we move around every 2-3 years. As part of the package we are given a Commodities & Services (C&S) allowance which covers the difference in living costs between the UK and whatever country we are in. There are companies out there that work this all out and feed the numbers back to the companies employing expats. Living costs include such things as clothing, petrol, food etc.

When we arrived in Perth in August 2007 we received nothing - this means that the UK was rated above or the same as OZ but in the last 3 years this allowance has gone up and up so that we now receive over £13,000 a year. So, in theory, the UK is much, much cheaper than OZ in relation to everyday costs.
OK - seems that I made a mistake. We've just had an updated C&S calculation and it's come in at £23,000 for the year and yet we still manage to spend it all! So approx £13,000 covers the difference in exchange rates and £10,000 covers the difference in standard of living.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

OK - seems that I made a mistake. We've just had an updated C&S calculation and it's come in at £23,000 for the year and yet we still manage to spend it all! So approx £13,000 covers the difference in exchange rates and £10,000 covers the difference in standard of living.
On another note - we've been looking at buying property or land and as a result have discovered that WA seems to have the highest state taxes such as stamp duty.

My car was written off because of the hail damage in Perth. I spent ages trying to find a 2nd hand car, if I'd gotten it over east I could have saved myself approx $4000, needless to say I decided to get ripped-off locally. Not sure about insurances but I suspect WA doesn't have the cheapest either.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 11:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

On another note - we've been looking at buying property or land and as a result have discovered that WA seems to have the highest state taxes such as stamp duty.
Are you sure...because they seem outrageous in Vic!!

$22k on a $500k property (vs about $18k in WA).