Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

Old May 23rd 2013, 4:12 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Rage75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

As part of the ongoing (and rather torturous!) process of applying for a permanent visa we've been asked to provide evidence of research into the costs of moving and then living in Canberra (our chosen destination).

There's only so much we can find out from the web and having material sent to us so I just wonder whether anyone here may be able to help at all? We're a married couple expecting twins and some of the costs we dont know at this stage are:

Childcare/minding, a month of utility bills, healthcare, insurance (personal and property), an average weekly food bill, mobile phone rental, a cinema ticket, a ticket to a sports game, a beer, a meal in a good restaurant, coach and/or flight to Adelaide/Melbourne/Sydney and anything else you can think of that would be relevant!

Thanks in advance for your help, Rob
Rage75 is offline  
Old May 23rd 2013, 6:54 pm
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 1
JENNIFER_SUSAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

my sister live there for educational purpose since a year. her monthly cost is about $400 USD.
JENNIFER_SUSAN is offline  
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:18 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Budawang's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Canberra
Posts: 899
Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

Originally Posted by JENNIFER_SUSAN View Post
my sister live there for educational purpose since a year. her monthly cost is about $400 USD.
Is she living on the streets? That would be educational I guess.
Budawang is offline  
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:34 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Budawang's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Canberra
Posts: 899
Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

Originally Posted by Rage75 View Post
As part of the ongoing (and rather torturous!) process of applying for a permanent visa we've been asked to provide evidence of research into the costs of moving and then living in Canberra (our chosen destination).

There's only so much we can find out from the web and having material sent to us so I just wonder whether anyone here may be able to help at all? We're a married couple expecting twins and some of the costs we dont know at this stage are:

Childcare/minding, a month of utility bills, healthcare, insurance (personal and property), an average weekly food bill, mobile phone rental, a cinema ticket, a ticket to a sports game, a beer, a meal in a good restaurant, coach and/or flight to Adelaide/Melbourne/Sydney and anything else you can think of that would be relevant!

Thanks in advance for your help, Rob
Beer in a pub: $7
Cinema: $17
Good 2 course meal with wine: $110
Private family health insurance: $2600 per year
Canberra to Melbourne return flight: $250
All day parking: $9
Groceries family of four: $1300
New VW polo drive away: $24K
Budawang is offline  
Old May 24th 2013, 1:39 am
  #5  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 28,433
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
Beer in a pub: $7
Cinema: $17
Good 2 course meal with wine: $110
Private family health insurance: $2600 per year
Canberra to Melbourne return flight: $250
All day parking: $9
Groceries family of four: $1300
New VW polo drive away: $24K
Expensive weekly food bill
old.sparkles is offline  
Old May 24th 2013, 5:44 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
quoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 8,339
quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

This http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...&city=Canberra seems pretty accurate to me.

When we lived in ACT my average monthly spend - without rent or mortgage - was around the $5-6k mark and that was for two oldies, running two cars with all insurances, utilities, medical, bit of DIY, occasional meals out, the odd weekend away etc. add to that another $25k for rent and you should have a ballpark figure
quoll is offline  
Old May 24th 2013, 9:43 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Rage75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

Thanks to everyone that posted, especially the link from Quoll - very useful. I presume however the rent you mention is more like $2500 than $25k per month or we may have to rethink the whole move!! ;-)
Rage75 is offline  
Old May 24th 2013, 5:30 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
quoll's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Canberra
Posts: 8,339
quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in Canberra-help needed!

Originally Posted by Rage75 View Post
Thanks to everyone that posted, especially the link from Quoll - very useful. I presume however the rent you mention is more like $2500 than $25k per month or we may have to rethink the whole move!! ;-)
LOL, sorry - $25k pa! Think somewhere between 2k and 2.5k per month. Assume you have found www.allhomes.com.au - they have pretty much the monopoly on rentals and purchases these days. Sorry for the heart attack there!
quoll is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.