Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living Brisbane

Cost of living Brisbane

Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

CherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Cost of living Brisbane

HI

Im new to this thread and would love some advice.

My husband and our two young kids are moving to Brisbane next year. We've been out there a fair few times and know cost of living is alot more and am aware of the 2.4 mutliplyer to work out cost of living. But im trying to get a break down of what thngs roughly cost so i can work out how much capital we can invest in a house.

It would be so apprecaited if anyone could provide me with the costs of the below. Just a rough average would be great, I realise some you may not eb able to give but if people can just give an answer for the oens they know then hopefully by the end I will have an answer for all and can work out an average.

1) Weekly grocery bill
2) Phone/foxtel package costs. (monthtly)
3) Monthly mobile phone costs (do you have a package to make
international calls?)
4) Childcare fees
5) School fees per term or year
6) Cost of decent second hand family car and annual insurance
7) Average mortgage interest rate % banks offer.
8) Approx Council tax rates for a 4 bed house
9) Utilities eg water, electricity, etc

Thanks so much!

Cherry
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:57 am
Just Joined

CherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to beholdCherryUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of living Brisbane

Wow. Can no one help me?!
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CherryUK
I think you'll find most of hose who could are still at work, its 5pm in Brisbane

I'm there but can't help much as I'm single with no kids......
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808600

and

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801428

might give you a start
Old Oct 9th 2013, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well the trouble is there are no answers. There is not a standard weekly grocery bill, some people by the best products and some buy the basic shop brand. I spent $X on my car, but that does not mean that is what everyone spends.

You need to work this out yourself, for general living costs like bills and groceries if you take your current expenditure and applt an approximate multiplier such as the one you mention and you will be there or thereabouts. For cars you can easily look online for the type of car you want to get an average cost. I believe mortgage rates will be around 5% at the moment.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks. I understand what you're saying regarding groceries.

But aren't things like foxtel, childcare fees and mobile charges more generic?

Would really appreciate some guidance

Thanks
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You can get a lot of answers searching BE and Google..
Old Oct 9th 2013, 6:22 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Trust the following helps you

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...&city=Brisbane

http://www.bobinoz.com/migration-adv...of-everything/

http://www.bobinoz.com/living-in-australia/brisbane/

Last edited by not2old; Oct 9th 2013 at 6:24 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:00 pm
Home and Happy

Thanks. I understand what you're saying regarding groceries.

But aren't things like foxtel, childcare fees and mobile charges more generic?

Would really appreciate some guidance

Thanks
Did you check out the links I gave you?
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

I searched Coles and Woolworths online before moving and also checked government sites for rates etc, checked rental/housing sites, looked on car sale pages etc etc..
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:33 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Im new to this thread and would love some advice.

My husband and our two young kids are moving to Brisbane next year. We've been out there a fair few times and know cost of living is alot more and am aware of the 2.4 mutliplyer to work out cost of living. But im trying to get a break down of what thngs roughly cost so i can work out how much capital we can invest in a house.

It would be so apprecaited if anyone could provide me with the costs of the below. Just a rough average would be great, I realise some you may not eb able to give but if people can just give an answer for the oens they know then hopefully by the end I will have an answer for all and can work out an average.

my costs -
1) Weekly grocery bill
2) Phone/foxtel package costs. (monthtly)
international calls?)
4) Childcare fees
5) School fees per term or year
6) Cost of decent second hand family car and annual insurance
8) Approx Council tax rates for a 4 bed house
9) Utilities eg water, electricity, etc

Thanks so much!

Cherry
1 - $100
2 - $95
3 - $20 (for 2 pre-paid)
4 - $0
5 - $0
6 - $7k (including rego)
7 - try google
8 - $0 - I'm renting
9 - water $68 every quarter plus water usage; electric - $70; gas - $40
Old Oct 9th 2013, 11:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Perth

1) Weekly grocery bill $300
2) Phone/foxtel package costs. (monthtly)approximately $250
international calls?)$69 each. No international calls
4) Childcare fees $0
5) School fees per term or year $0
6) Cost of decent second hand family car and annual insurance $1000-$50k+ for car. Insurance depends on a number of factors. Mine for brand new car = $500/yr. Daughter on 1998 Honda Civic = $1900/yr
7) Average mortgage interest rate % banks offer. Depends. Google is your friend
8) Approx Council tax rates for a 4 bed house Varies according to use

Thanks so much!

Cherry
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ratecity.com.au/home-loans

Right now most variable rates are a shade under 5%...5 year fix closer to 5.5%. Don't expect them to get any lower.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:28 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

1) Weekly grocery bill $150 to $200
2) Phone/foxtel package costs. (monthly) 2x mobiles $11 each. TPG homephone and internet (100gb) $49. Foxtel $100 per month
international calls?) 2x mobiles $11 each. 1.5gb data $1000 calls. no international calls, use skype
4) Childcare fees approx $70 to $75 per day. 50% is rebated, up to $7500 cap per annum (I think)
5) School fees per term or year public schools are free, but set aside maybe $500 or $600 per kid. Private schools and catholic schools, fees vary.
6) Cost of decent second hand family car and annual insurance $10k. Insurance $500
7) Average mortgage interest rate % banks offer. don't go for the average, go for a decent deal. e.g. Bankwest 4.88% online homeloan
8) Approx Council tax rates for a 4 bed house $350 or $400 per quarter
9) Utilities eg water, electricity, etc water maybe $250 per quarter, elec $250 or $300. Depends on usage of course.

Thanks so much! no worries!!

Cherry
here you go!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You must have time today. Suggesting the search funtion is far easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.