Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Living in Australia

Cost of Living in Australia

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living in Australia

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Paying for my fuel yesterday afternoon, there were 2 bogans behind me in the queue who looked like they were buying most of their weekly groceries. They were moaning about the cost of things.

There's a Woolworths about 1km away
It was open
They had a car

Go figure

I bet they have 3, 60" flatscreens that they watch The Voice on. I bet they love a bit of TAB down the local on Saturday afternoons. I bet they both own a boat/jet ski or dirk bike if beyond 50km's inland.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 1:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The published average wage in Oz is highly skewed by the population. A small number of high earners biases the number. It is probably closer to $55k. Add in that a lot of families have a member either not working or working part time and it is probably closer to $75k a year household income
I cant believe people still believe the average Australian earns $70,000 +, 50% of workers earn less than $44,000 and that is part of the reason so many cant afford to get on the housing ladder. The idea that the average household earns $150k is just folly.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I cant believe people still believe the average Australian earns $70,000 +, 50% of workers earn less than $44,000 and that is part of the reason so many cant afford to get on the housing ladder. The idea that the average household earns $150k is just folly.
When the official results showed that the median for FULL TIME ADULT workers was A$65,572 per year, this means that 50% of FULL TIME ADULT workers earn under that figure, and 50% over.

The figure of $44,000 that you quote, probably includes part time workers, and all ages from 15 years up. However, when I calculate that group, I get a median of about $49,000.
Where did the $44,000 figure come from ?

May 2012
Median weekly total cash earnings in May 2012 were $963.00 ($50,076 pa) for all employees.

One quarter of all employees earned $588.00 or less and one quarter of all employees earned $1,462.00 or more.

Part-time employees accounted for 36.9% of all employees and had average weekly total cash earnings of $560.00 (A$29,120 pa)

The majority of employees (79.2%) were employed on a permanent or fixed term basis and had average weekly total cash earnings of $1,276.10 (A$66,357 pa)

Casual employees accounted for 20.8% of employees and had average weekly total cash earnings of $538.20 (A$27,968 pa)
You may be interested in the 2002-03 breakdown of median wages:

2002-2003 Median Annual Wage and Salary Income for Australia
All Australian Median wage, for all employees 15 years of age or over, was $32,697
Age 15-24 $16,501 = 50.5% of National Median Wage
Age 25-34 $35,605 = 108.9% of National Median Wage
Age 35-44 $37,991 = 116.2% of National Median Wage
Age 45-54 $38,616 = 118.1% of National Median Wage
Age 55+ $34,410 = 105.2% of National Median Wage
www.abcdiamond.com/australia/australian-median-wage/
Old Jun 5th 2013, 3:33 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......
The figure of $44,000 that you quote, probably includes part time workers, and all ages from 15 years up. However, when I calculate that group, I get a median of about $49,000.
Where did the $44,000 figure come from ?
Probably from LetsBashOz.co.uk

You've been away for too long, ABCD
Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Probably from LetsBashOz.co.uk

You've been away for too long, ABCD
Thats a great site, thanks
Old Jun 5th 2013, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Where did you get your 44K figure from Chris or are you playing your fantasy cloud cuckoo games again ?

Sure there are people struggling here, but when you start phucking with legitmate figures to give reason for your obvious misgivings with this country then one has to wonder at your mindset and state.

I cannot believe you continue on with your obviously warped sense of reality time and time and time and time and time again.

Some newcomers to the site maybe silly enough to take your posts seriously.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:36 am
Banned

No changes from you then
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Ah... I see now. The $44,000 may not be real ?
Old Jun 5th 2013, 4:05 pm
Banned

Ah... I see now. The $44,000 may not be real ?
For 50% of the working population it is apparently real.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
For 50% of the working population it is apparently real.
I heard someone say that 50% of the population earns over $100,000.
That is therefore just as "apparently real".

How can either figure be verified ?

I did see something from the ATO that shows recently released average figures for taxpayers, which has an individuals income figure of $44,000, but that was average AFTER TAX income.

Is that your figure ?
Old Jun 6th 2013, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Some examples of average prices ? as percentage of average income ?

Let's use ALDI prices as examples in both countries ?

using $914 Weekly Disposable income after tax and mortgage
compared to ??? for the UK.

$ 0.99 650g/700g BAKERS LIFE ™ White Sandwich Sliced
$ 1.49 650g/700g BAKERS LIFE ® Multigrain Bread
$ 1.99 2L FARMDALE ® Milk Full Cream
$ 2.99 340g HYDALE ® Corned Beef Canned
$ 2.99 2kg Imperial Grain ® Long Grain White Rice
$ 2.99 500g BRANNANS BUTCHERY ® Sausages Pork/Italian Fresh
$ 6.00 1kg COWBELLE ® Tasty Natural Cheddar Cheese Block
$ 7.99 Per kg Pebble Creek ® Pork Leg Roast Boneless Fresh

That small group of groceries is $27.43 or 3% of the median weekly family disposable income.
How does that compare to other ALDI stores ?

But then... the cost of Electricity ??? It is VERY expensive. !!
cents per kilowatt hour
25.378 normal power meter (£0.17) inc GST/VAT
12.110 Hot water meter (£0.08)

Maybe prices are high because we are all middle class
While that is a reasonable way to work out prices I've always found that the cost per minute (week,month,year)always works better.Based on average wages.

Thus an FJ holden in 1950 cost 94 x the toolmakers weekly wage of 8 quid,probably for 45 or 48 hrs.

When the yanks brought in the federal deposit insurance scheme (FDIS) during the aftermath of the depression the max was US$5000,then that was 12 yrs average wages.Took the rest of the world a while to bring this in,I think in the UK the max is 30k but could be more,did they drop it here to $250K?The FDIS has not kept pace with inflation and is now US$100k from memory.

Always seemed to be the best way to me,compare prices from any era in any country.When inflation was roaring in the 70's the YOY wage rise from march73 to march 74 was around 36.4% in OZ.

We were getting power from ship's generators on the Tyne to keep work going in the shipyards.Coal strike ,3 day week due to lack of electricity,the winter of discontent.Six people crammed into a Hillman Hunter getting a lift in to work.As we all liked a drink the smell of stale beer was shocking.

I hope the good old days never come back.

geordie downunder
Old Jun 6th 2013, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swans
While that is a reasonable way to work out prices I've always found that the cost per minute (week,month,year)always works better.Based on average wages.

Thus an FJ holden in 1950 cost 94 x the toolmakers weekly wage of 8 quid,probably for 45 or 48 hrs.

When the yanks brought in the federal deposit insurance scheme (FDIS) during the aftermath of the depression the max was US$5000,then that was 12 yrs average wages.Took the rest of the world a while to bring this in,I think in the UK the max is 30k but could be more,did they drop it here to $250K?The FDIS has not kept pace with inflation and is now US$100k from memory.

Always seemed to be the best way to me,compare prices from any era in any country.When inflation was roaring in the 70's the YOY wage rise from march73 to march 74 was around 36.4% in OZ.

We were getting power from ship's generators on the Tyne to keep work going in the shipyards.Coal strike ,3 day week due to lack of electricity,the winter of discontent.Six people crammed into a Hillman Hunter getting a lift in to work.As we all liked a drink the smell of stale beer was shocking.

I hope the good old days never come back.

geordie downunder
There is of course the Big Mac index! As Macca's are in 122 countries, how better to make international comparisons?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

Like the original use of the index this is a bit tongue in cheek of course!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Adapt and skill up, and go somewhere to do some hard yakka earn the $ and enjoy...

there is some great places in tehis country to live, get paid and have fun, you just need to listen and look for where they are...

Too many people sit in a bubble, expecting it all to arrive on the doorstep.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OzTennis
There is of course the Big Mac index! As Macca's are in 122 countries, how better to make international comparisons?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

Like the original use of the index this is a bit tongue in cheek of course!
Yes,there is also the Mars bar index,same thing.

I've spotted a flaw in them.I never eat maccas but a mars bar seems tiny compared to years ago when they seemed huge.

Beer now comes in 345ml bottles rather than 385ml bottles,it's all a con trick.

geordie downunder
Old Jun 7th 2013, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swans
Yes,there is also the Mars bar index,same thing.

I've spotted a flaw in them.I never eat maccas but a mars bar seems tiny compared to years ago when they seemed huge.

Beer now comes in 345ml bottles rather than 385ml bottles,it's all a con trick.

geordie downunder
Yes, manufacturers claim people are too price conscious so rather than increase prices they decrease the size of their product (and put the prices up as well). Another trick is the package being much larger than the contents eg a huge box of Corn Flakes half filled with flakes - again manufacturers say it clearly says how many grams are inside so people aren't being duped!

The big flaw in these indexes is that the likes of Maccas use different pricing strategies for different markets. In Australia for example Ikea sell their products at much higher prices than in other markets - Indonesian furniture sells for more in Australia than it does in the UK or US despite the greater transportation distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.