Reload this Page >

cost of living australia

cost of living australia

Old Jun 24th 2003, 8:12 pm
Go Cubs!!

Garazy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of living australia

Hello,

I am soon to move from London to your wonderful country of Australia. From an amalgamation of ideas about how much it will cost to live in Australia I have created the chart below, I was wondering what peoples thoughts on its accuracy are.

This is based on one person in their early 20ies living in Sydney.

Per Month AUD
Gas 60
Electricity 100
Phone 100
Food 500
Rent 1400
Water 100
Other 800
Council 0
Foxtel 50

Total 3060

I have put council tax at 0 because I read somewhere you don't pay council tax if you rent? Other will include going out. Can anyone tell me if I have missed anything out or am over pricing some things and under pricing other things? I added 'foxtel' in there, I have no idea what this is, I can imagine this is the equivalent of TV license in the UK

I look forward to anyone's replies on my estimation.

Regards,

Gary
Old Jun 24th 2003, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: cost of living australia

Originally posted by Garazy
Hello,

I am soon to move from London to your wonderful country of Australia. From an amalgamation of ideas about how much it will cost to live in Australia I have created the chart below, I was wondering what peoples thoughts on its accuracy are.

Per Month AUD
Gas 60
Electricity 100
Phone 100
Food 500
Rent 1400
Water 100
Other 800
Council 0
Foxtel 50

Total 3060

I have put council tax at 0 because I read somewhere you don't pay council tax if you rent? Other will include going out. Can anyone tell me if I have missed anything out or am over pricing some things and under pricing other things? I added 'foxtel' in there, I have no idea what this is, I can imagine this is the equivalent of TV license in the UK

Regards,

Gary
I'd say you are overpriceing virtually everything, my power bill is less than $1 per day and I'm all electric (no gas), if your renting your unlikely to pay water rates. Groceries work out for me to less than $50 per person per week but I eat out a couple of times a week. Your right you won't pay council tax (you mean rates??) if you rent. $800 seems way over the top for other for example transport you can get a bus, rail and ferry pass for 7 days for less than $40 and public transport in Sydney is excellent.
Foxtel is cable TV, their is no licence fee for Free to Air TV (ITV and BBC equivilent).

Agreed you can spend these sort of figures if you want but you don't need to for a good lfestyle.

PS I live in Brisbane not Sydney.
Old Jun 24th 2003, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

ested is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Garazy
Hello,

Per Month AUD
Gas 60
Electricity 100
Phone 100
Food 500
Rent 1400
Water 100
Other 800
Council 0
Foxtel 50

Total 3060

Regards,

Gary

Would agree with Paul
Even the rent....we are paying that for a 3 bed house with huge garden in nice area in Ryde
Groc $200 a wk for 6 of us inc a baby
Optus $130 a mth for phone, cable broadband, and cable TV basic foxtel package!
Don't know utilities yet as dont move in until Sat.

What you havent included thou is travel and insurance costs, and these will vary from one person to another so cant say.

HTH
Ested
Old Jun 25th 2003, 7:57 am
Go Cubs!!

Garazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ested
Would agree with Paul
Even the rent....we are paying that for a 3 bed house with huge garden in nice area in Ryde
Groc $200 a wk for 6 of us inc a baby
Optus $130 a mth for phone, cable broadband, and cable TV basic foxtel package!
Don't know utilities yet as dont move in until Sat.

What you havent included thou is travel and insurance costs, and these will vary from one person to another so cant say.

HTH
Ested

Thanks for the replies people, I have kept travel and insurance seperate as they are one off payments! Thanks for the positive replies, I just need my $$$ to go as far as possible The FX rate isn't doing me any favours at the moment!

Gary