Reload this Page >

Cost of Living Advice - Perth.

Cost of Living Advice - Perth.

Old Jan 17th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

outward_Bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Living Advice - Perth.

Hi everyone,

I'm writing to you for some advice on the cost of living in perth. Hopefully I have the right forum.

My situation is this. I applied for permanent residency 3.5 years ago. The wait like most people not on the critical skills list is becoming depressing.

Anyhow, Luckily I have some savings behind me and would like to have some estimates as to how much it would cost to live in perth on a budget for one year. I'm thinking to take a tourist visa to live in perth and not work (by the end hopefully my residency will have come through). I understand the risk this involves. However I may take some professional exams that I can study at home in perth during this time.

Any thoughts would be most welcome

cheers
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:49 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice

Originally Posted by outward_Bound
Hi everyone,

I'm writing to you for some advice on the cost of living in perth. Hopefully I have the right forum.

My situation is this. I applied for permanent residency 3.5 years ago. The wait like most people not on the critical skills list is becoming depressing.

Anyhow, Luckily I have some savings behind me and would like to have some estimates as to how much it would cost to live in perth on a budget for one year. I'm thinking to take a tourist visa to live in perth and not work (by the end hopefully my residency will have come through). I understand the risk this involves. However I may take some professional exams that I can study at home in perth during this time.

cheers
Hi

Just bumping this for you. It may be an idea to change the title to - Cost of Living Advice - Perth.

You may get more replies.

There should be quite a few threads on this if you use the search facility.

Good luck
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Expensive.

Room in House share $150 per week plus

Do a virtual shop online at Coles or woolies on line to see what everyday stuff costs.... Use any Perth post code... Eg 6000, 6168 etc

If you want to buy a car, they hold their value here ... And are shockingly expensive second hand....

Petrol was $1.32 a liter yesterday....

Public transport is cheap..... Eg... Train from Rockingham -perth on a prepaid smart rider card... $5.40 ish

Coffee in the city... $5 - $6
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi

Just bumping this for you. It may be an idea to change the title to - Cost of Living Advice - Perth.

You may get more replies.

There should be quite a few threads on this if you use the search facility.

Good luck
Sorted, and moved to the main forum
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Living Advice - Perth.

Hi everyone,

cheers
Hi nearly-new Aussie You've had some good advice so far. A bit more - if you're looking to rent a place on your own, you'll need to pay at least 6 weeks rent upfront - 4 weeks of this is a returnable bond if you vacate the property in good condition.

Around $10.50 a pint of beer in a pub (most important, this one!)

Food for one - anything less than $150 a week (including toiletries, cleaning products etc) would be too little, in my opinion.

Eating out - very expensive in Perth (unless you're into McDonalds or similar)

Lovely beaches are free, but don't forget the sunscreen!

Unlimited internet per month - varies, but around $60

Cable telly Foxtel (Sky in UK) - expensive, around $100 per month. There are a few free to air channels, the only decent ones in my opinion are SBS and ABC. If you follow the EPL or European football and want to want live matches, you'll need to get cable TV

All the above prices are in AUD
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, it all depends how much you spend really!
If you want a flat expect to pay at least around $350 per week. I currently pay $370

food is very expensive, poorer quality and less of a selection.

The thing to remeber is that although everything is a lot more expensive, wages are higher.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 11:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
If you want a flat expect to pay at least around $350 per week. I currently pay $370

The thing to remeber is that although everything is a lot more expensive, wages are higher.
Excellent point Dave, it was all sounding a bit grim there!! As regular visitors to the UK (mainly Liverpool) I'm always well chuffed at how cheap things are there, but of course they're only relatively cheap.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

cheers
Expensive, unless of course your going to take a LOT of money with you, I would also be loathed to use my savings on the hope of getting your visa, Education will also cost you and eat into your savings. Have you not thought of re education here in the UK in a skill that is urgently required in Aus? might be more long winded but you would have more chance of gaining a skilled visa. Good luck
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:48 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Expensive unless you earn $175k a year min.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

I'll give you the costs for the wife and I for our first year (been here 2 now).

We rented an apartment near the city, so that'll be expensive.

Rent $600 (week)
Food $200 (week)
Eletric $100 (month)
Foxtel $100 (month)
Phone/internet $100 (month)

(Rates, strata, water and gas were paid for)

So that x52, is 57,200 for the year.

A reasonable car will be $10,000 minimum. Budget $750 for insurance and $500 for rego (both annual)

So I recon you'd not have much change out of $70,000. And that's with no social things.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99

beg to differ.....
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

outward_Bound is an unknown quantity at this point

THanks for all the replies (even if not the answers i was hoping for)
cheers