Cost of living

Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:01 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all
Default Cost of living

Can anyone give me an idea on the following (Need to take my mind off the painful wait for my acknowledgment to come through!)

How much would I need to put aside per week for the following:

Groceries
Utilities
Any other costs (other than mortgage?)

We'll be based in Melbourne and we're a family of 5.
Thanks a lot
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:35 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
Can anyone give me an idea on the following (Need to take my mind off the painful wait for my acknowledgment to come through!)

Groceries
Utilities

Thanks a lot
COL is similar to UK.
Groceries cost more.
Utilities are a bit less here.
Other costs will be fairly similar.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 11:24 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irish Gal

Groceries
Utilities

Thanks a lot
Melbourne costs for you

Gas $25 - $50 per month
Electricity $75 - $100 per month
Water $55 - $100 per quarter - look at your usage if you are doing more than 400 litres per day you will pay an increasing rate.

Above are for family of 3

Shopping depends on your individual needs and where you shop. Supermarkets price according to suburb - so closer to CBD you pay more.

Make use of markets for veges & meat - better quality and better pricing.

Rates/council tax - if your a tenant you don't pay. I think ours is about $1K to $1.5K (have not yet received the notice)

Car registration is about $500 - $700 depending on your postal address

Car insurance about the same depending on vehicle and driver history
Toyota Prado $70 per month (no additional charge for monthly versus annual payment)
Toyota Avalon $50 per month

Hope that gets you started.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 8:33 am
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Melbourne costs for you

Gas $25 - $50 per month
Electricity $75 - $100 per month
Water $55 - $100 per quarter - look at your usage if you are doing more than 400 litres per day you will pay an increasing rate.

Above are for family of 3

Shopping depends on your individual needs and where you shop. Supermarkets price according to suburb - so closer to CBD you pay more.

Make use of markets for veges & meat - better quality and better pricing.

Rates/council tax - if your a tenant you don't pay. I think ours is about $1K to $1.5K (have not yet received the notice)

Car registration is about $500 - $700 depending on your postal address

Car insurance about the same depending on vehicle and driver history
Toyota Prado $70 per month (no additional charge for monthly versus annual payment)
Toyota Avalon $50 per month

Hope that gets you started.
Cheers this is great. Out comes the calculator!