Cost of living

Old Nov 4th 2004, 10:55 pm
Thinking of a move

Greyhound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living

I'm having major headaches trying to work out what salary to put down. We are trying to research cost of living in Oz, but the more I see, the more confused we are.

So, can anyone say if this sounds reasonable.

Currently partner is on 28K, we currently have a mortgage of £400, no debt, run an old car, have 2 dogs and we are comfortable, not well off, but get by.

So would you say a salary in Oz of 70K would allow us to get by in the same manner?

Cheers.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Greyhound
I'm having major headaches trying to work out what salary to put down. We are trying to research cost of living in Oz, but the more I see, the more confused we are.

Currently partner is on 28K, we currently have a mortgage of £400, no debt, run an old car, have 2 dogs and we are comfortable, not well off, but get by.

So would you say a salary in Oz of 70K would allow us to get by in the same manner?

Cheers.
I assume you're talking in dollars. 70K is well above the average Aussie wage. If you're struggling on that income, you're doing something wrong.
Old Nov 4th 2004, 11:44 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I assume you're talking in dollars. 70K is well above the average Aussie wage. If you're struggling on that income, you're doing something wrong.

Yep, think the average is just about $47k, depending on what figures you look at. $70k is a good salary - obviously it depends what you do and where you are in your career as to what you should be asking for. Have you tried looking on www.seek.com.au to gain an idea of the salary range for your type of job?
Old Nov 5th 2004, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers.
I would suggest that you would struggle to get $70k in Australia for the equivalent job paying £28k here (depending on your profession)
Old Nov 5th 2004, 1:26 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
If you can get 2 x your UK GBP salary in AUS$ you will be doing well. But that should be plenty to get by on unless you are going to live in Circular Quay.