Cost of living

Old Oct 24th 2004, 4:38 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living

I'm on countdown now - I've got 7 shifts left to do at work and eleven weeks before I leave England for Melbourne.
Just realised that I haven't got a clue about the real cost of living in Aus.
At present earn 22k basic (I'm a nurse) and have been offered a job which will pay me Aud$48k. How does this equate to cost of living in Melbourne?
Don't want to read biased reports, rather have your views please.
Cas
Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I'm on countdown now - I've got 7 shifts left to do at work and eleven weeks before I leave England for Melbourne.
At present earn 22k basic (I'm a nurse) and have been offered a job which will pay me Aud$48k. How does this equate to cost of living in Melbourne?
Cas
Blimey Cas no one's biting!

Err....right, let me think........meat's cheap(ish), and chocolate's expensive! Oh, and public transport's cheap, and cameras are expensive. So are cars. Houses are cheap(er), unless you're in Sydney or another 'choice' area......

Can't possibly help you with day to day running costs. Any Aussie residents care to help?
Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:24 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Cas
Hi Cas

Yesterday by chance i found this a really good site. Give it a try.
www.movingdownunder.co.uk
Hope it helps. There are a few more, I will try and find them and bring them with me when we meet.
Ang
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:30 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Cas
Well if you cant have a comfortable living on 48 grand then your shopping too much
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
Well if you cant have a comfortable living on 48 grand then your shopping too much
That's pretty much what I said to Cas when I first found out how much the job paid.

You'll be fine Cas. You're not a materialistic person, so I know that it won't be a struggle for you.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:09 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
That's pretty much what I said to Cas when I first found out how much the job paid.

You'll be fine Cas. You're not a materialistic person, so I know that it won't be a struggle for you.

I just read on another thread that she is having her leaving do with 22 other nurses.... now how do i get an invite to that party?
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:10 pm

Oh and BTW dont tell the wife
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

I just read on another thread that she is having her leaving do with 22 other nurses.... now how do i get an invite to that party?
LOL, I'm a nurse! So I have a pretty good idea what it's going to be like!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:20 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Caroline,
recent figures quote the median average wage in Oz as $50K.
I would say you will be able to survive quite well
From my shopping bill

Petrol - $0.96 per litre.
tomatoes- $3.48 kg
2l milk - $3.62
4l cask wine -$11.00
half leg of lamb-$7.00
cigarettes (25's) $9.00

In Melbourne water is metered and is extremely cheap
Rent for a 2 bed apartment will vary on quality and location( see www.realestate.com.au )
Electricity is quite expensive compared to gas .
Banks charge for the privalage of you lending them your money.
Some very good accounts with the national ( www.national.com.au)
and savings accounts which you can link with your bank account ( www.ingdirect.com.au)- this account offers no fees and 5.5% interest on your savings
Regards,
Melbournehelp melhelp
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Get a plane - it's going to be great!
Cas
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by melbournehelp
Caroline,
From my shopping bill

tomatoes- $3.48 kg
2l milk - $3.62
4l cask wine -$11.00
half leg of lamb-$7.00
cigarettes (25's) $9.00

Rent for a 2 bed apartment will vary on quality and location( see www.realestate.com.au )
and savings accounts which you can link with your bank account ( www.ingdirect.com.au)- this account offers no fees and 5.5% interest on your savings
Regards,
Melbournehelp melhelp
Thanks - sending some Karma for that
Cas
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:35 pm

Caroline,
From my shopping bill

tomatoes- $3.48 kg
2l milk - $3.62
4l cask wine -$11.00
half leg of lamb-$7.00
cigarettes (25's) $9.00

Regards,
Melbournehelp melhelp

you pay $3.62 for 2 litres of milk..... someone is getting screwed
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:41 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Caroline,
From my shopping bill

tomatoes- $3.48 kg
2l milk - $3.62
4l cask wine -$11.00
half leg of lamb-$7.00
cigarettes (25's) $9.00

Regards,
Melbournehelp melhelp
Blimey - where did you get 4 litres of wine for $11!!...? Do tell! (I was thrilled to be able to get 1 litre of Hardys' on special for $12!)

Totally agree with you re meat: a delicious free range/organic chicken is about $7 here, much cheaper than in UK. Also, a huge sized fennel head is about $1!! If you stick with the basic fresh, healthy food you can eat well for a bit less than the UK, but siome things (eg decent cheese) are a LOT more expensive, as are any prepared meals.

The 'Weight Watcher' frozen meals that are typcially 1-2 GBP are $5-7 here. However, the variety of asian-style slimmers' meals is much better here - I have stick to a strict diet during the week, and have found this far less of a hardship here!

Watch out for the Yoghurts - almost all contain gelatin here (yuk!). Am not veggie these days, but the idea of boiled down cows' hooves etc in my yoghurt has a real eeewww factor for me!

Check out the prices of your fave goods on the on-line supermarket chains for comparison; here's a starting point:

http://www.melbourne-city-directory....-groceries.htm

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:58 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Cas
Me and hubby came to the conclusion this week that it is cheaper. We spent $120ish on our weekly shop, to which hubby said well thats half a days work. Now looking back at UK wages half a days wage would not have bought our shopping, probably more like a days worth. So think of it that way, he have and feel much happier.
Jenny
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:19 am
ABCDiamond

you pay $3.62 for 2 litres of milk..... someone is getting screwed
I was thinking the same. I pay $1.80 for 2 litres !!

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Blimey - where did you get 4 litres of wine for $11!!...? Do tell! (I was thrilled to be able to get 1 litre of Hardys' on special for $12!)
That'll be Cask wine. Cheapest bottled wine is about $4-$5. They often have specials; reduced from $8 to $12 down to $4

Meat is generally cheaper at Butchers rather than Supermarkets.