Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Old Jun 20th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
My wife earns precisely $55,265.60 less than the average female wage.
oooh she earns the same as me then!!!
Old Jun 20th 2009, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DibDob
Now you are having a laugh are you not?????

£350 a week on food does the queen even spend that much?? most people in the UK dont even take that much money home each week!!!!

We do, my wife loves a vintage bottle of Bollinger with her fish and chips...
Old Jun 20th 2009, 7:43 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hebe
oooh she earns the same as me then!!!
I bet you are both in the same line of work.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 8:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Nope, don't believe you.

Just come back from Warrila Grove... one of the cheapest locations to do your shopping in the Illawarra apparently. Went to Woolies, Bush Meats, Mitchells Fruit and Leonards... so followed all your ideas about Butchers/Fruit&Veg/etc being cheaper than shopping at the supermarket... total cost was $306... Mrs Creature says we will need to go again on Wednesday to top stuff up and probably spend another $100 then.
Mitchells fruit and Snowy River meats ... de dum dum de dum dum.

We're a family of three. The missus just got back from the weekend big shop and has filled the larder and the fridge for $160 which will last us two weeks easily with the usual loaf and 4 litre milk top-ups. She went to Woolies and Aldi - not greengrocer, butcher, baker, candlestick maker. And it's all decent stuff, plenty of name brand goods.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I disagree !!! When my wife wasn't working she had more time to go out and SPEND !!!
that is so true.it is amazing what us women can justify spending.ie I didnt have much time so I had to buy the first thing I saw or, I was bored so I just bought it.My favourite one this week was ,look what you bought me for shouting at me.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 12:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by irishbloo
that is so true.it is amazing what us women can justify spending.ie I didnt have much time so I had to buy the first thing I saw or, I was bored so I just bought it.My favourite one this week was ,look what you bought me for shouting at me.
You know, the funny thing is, since becoming a house husband, I know exactly what you mean !!!!

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

That must depend on your area...

My area... http://images.domain.com.au/img/2009...04807_1_TE.JPG 3 bedroom house for $370 pw, not exactly student accommodation.

or a bit more expensive http://images.domain.com.au/img/2009...04573_1_TE.JPG at $475pw (it needs a repaint outside though ! )
Yes its great...if you can get the work. W'ere not all retirees on here ya know

Last edited by Ruthyman; Jun 23rd 2009 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:44 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
Yes its great...if you can get the work. W'ere not all retirees on here ya know
What does being in work or being retired have to do with your idea that student style accommodation costs $500 per week in Australia ?

You said: "We are resigned to 'student accomodation' here unless we want to spend over 500 pw"

I gave some examples of good family accommodation at well under $500pw, and you bring the fact I am retired into it

Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Another reason why men shouldn't get married.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

ColdAsIce is an unknown quantity at this point

its a SHOCKER!!!

everything seems more expensive here then anywhere else in europe. in particular food, rent and buying cars.

Australian $ is worth nothing and will always be worth nothing! once you are here in Australia then it will be very difficult for anyone to go back!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:24 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ColdAsIce
its a SHOCKER!!!

everything seems more expensive here then anywhere else in europe. in particular food, rent and buying cars.
I don't know about that. Have you ever rented in London?

Australian $ is worth nothing and will always be worth nothing! once you are here in Australia then it will be very difficult for anyone to go back!
So you'll have to work twice as hard and earn twice as much. Welcome to the Aussie lifestyle!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

What does being in work or being retired have to do with your idea that student style accommodation costs $500 per week in Australia ?

You said: "We are resigned to 'student accomodation' here unless we want to spend over 500 pw"

I gave some examples of good family accommodation at well under $500pw, and you bring the fact I am retired into it
LOL you DO sound like my grandad!
Hmmm the cheaper accomodation that you have pointed out is in QLD - it's a bit of a way from my workplace...

So theres plenty of jobs in Wellington Point
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:09 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

its a SHOCKER!!!

everything seems more expensive here then anywhere else in europe.
Australia is a long way from europe.

But I agree, things are pretty pricey in general.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:17 am
ABCDiamond

LOL you DO sound like my grandad!
Hmmm the cheaper accomodation that you have pointed out is in QLD - it's a bit of a way from my workplace...
And where is your workplace ? You must have a very sensible grandad

So theres plenty of jobs in Wellington Point
Yep, only 2.7% unemployed in this area, and mansions that students can afford

Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:19 am
ABCDiamond

Australian $ is worth nothing and will always be worth nothing!
It actually moves around a bit, between 2 and 3 dollars to the £. And with the very weak £, the strong Australian dollars go a long way these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.