Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The cost of kids

The cost of kids

Old Apr 1st 2006, 1:16 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default The cost of kids

I read a remark on a post earlier where someone said that they were surprised that some parents wouldn't spend a bit to keep their kids occupied and out of trouble (or something along those lines). It made me think how much it costs here to have the boys involved in everythig they want to do, I thought it may be of use to some of you.

Remember this is WA and for 2 kids unless otherwise stated!!

Summer.... T-ball, fee's clothing ad equipment........ $300
Winter..... Footy, fees. clothing, equipment...............$280 mouthguard extra $60+ each
school holiday soccer............................................ .$200
school holiday surf school.......................................$220
Swimmimg lessons........................................... .....$21 per week
If they had enroled in soccer too for the summer (as they wanted) it would have been an additional $310 plus extras.

in addition to these organised sports the boys also like to go........
bowling............ 1 game for a family of 4 $50 not including drinks etc, fortunately i play in a league so it brings the cost down to $ 25.
Rollerskating........ family of 4.......$36 again not including refreshments
We take them to Subi to watch The Eagles and the chepest tickets plus train fares and refreshments is $100+(but worth every penny for the atmosphere and probably the best value of everything).

Body boarding on the beach, beach cricket, footy in the park etc........ are all free of course, but as the kids get older they want to do more sports (and probably need to also).

Added to this are the costs involved in school, you have your "voluntary " contribution, for mine thats $60 but some are more, swimming $50 each child, addiditional incursions and excursions probably around $30 per child, stationary around $80 per child, this increses as they get older.

Those of you in the UK may convert this to punds and think its quite reasonable but we earn here roughly the same in dolars as we did in pounds so for me it is like for like.

Perhaps some posters from other states would like to give an idea of what it costs there, also if anyone has any costs for "girlie" things it could help (we don;t do girlie things )

Lynn
Old Apr 1st 2006, 3:23 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost of kids

Similarly for 2 kids in Qld (per child)-

Our boys do Cub Scouts - $80 for scout registration + $50/term (4/year) = $280/year/child plus any excursions or camps they go on - average $10/excursion & $30-40/camp. There is a discount for more than 1 child - we pay $80/term instead of $100 for 2 kids, so it actually costs us $480/year for our 2.

Swimming - 2 lessons each = $15/week each.

PCYC - membership $16.50/year & activities $7 each activity/child, take your pick of how many you want to do!

We have specifically stayed away from sports that involve weekly training & then games on the weekend like soccer & football as we like our weekends free to spend on the boat (when we arent tied up with builders!), so we are going to join them up with Futsal instead which is played on a Tuesday night, cant remember the cost offhand now.

Chess Club - $45

AFL Auskick - 8 weeks - $40 (from memory)

At school, books (year 3) are around $60/year, $30/child general purpose levy, no cost for swimming as the school has its own pool & no external sports yet. No excursions this year except for school camp in June which is $110/child 2 nights/3 days but in previous years there has been 1 excursion or incursion (where something educational comes to the school) per term - average cost $5/child.

Can't think of any more for now.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

my kids costs:

daughter:
Pony club - $250 per year, this includes a key to the grounds to be used whenever we want.
Public School equestrian interschool competition - $125 per year ($25 per event, approx 5 per year)
Plus cost of getting there, horse keep etc.

Son:
Motorbike club - $270 per year for membership plus $17 every 2 weeks for events. plus getting there, bike upkeep etc.

The lifestyle - priceless!!!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

davykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud ofdavykaz has much to be proud of

Hi all we have 2 girls young I must add but what an interesting thread can we have more on girlie things like dance classes as our oldest loves her dancing and weve promised that thier will be dance classes in perth

cheers
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our girls just do swimming and trampoline/gym out of school. We were given a discount on the swimming so it's $10 each per week. Trampoline is $13 each per week for 1 1/2 hours a time (good value I think)

Youngest is the only one that does school swimming - $42 per term. Eldest does Sports Tuesday and managed to pick something that cost extra on top of the books and resources scheme each year. This was $45.

Youngest has a school camp this year, I think it will cost about $210. She has also joined the school hockey team and that was $45 - this covers shirts, bus, insurance I guess.

We go to the beach a fair bit - that's FREE except for the Gelato van parked at the carpark

We have just signed the contract to have a pool built - they will use that a lot - does that count because that's quite scary

Generally I think out of school sports around here are far cheaper than the UK but as someone said generally salaries are lower so it's swings and roundabouts - oh they are free too - the parks here are brill.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

WickedWitchofWest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davykaz
Hi all we have 2 girls young I must add but what an interesting thread can we have more on girlie things like dance classes as our oldest loves her dancing and weve promised that thier will be dance classes in perth

cheers
Same topic. We have two girls -- 9 and 5 -- and both love their ballet lessons. Alson the oldest is doing very well at her piano lessons . Anyone know how much to buy/rent an upright pianoforte in Perth? Thanks