Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Health Care

Cost Of Health Care

Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:07 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cost Of Health Care

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Yes I understand about the repeats but you can only get one months supply at a time can't you?
I went to the chemists this week and got a two month supply. I have no reason to go there other than the one prescription and I had dragging the little ones along. So last time I went I asked for two months and the lady behind the counter asked me why. I just told her I hate having to come down here every month and it's annoying bringing the kids, so two months would save me a trip. She said ok, and explained that they ask because you're not supposed to load up on medical bills due to the safety net thing. Presumably it would be harder near the end of the tax year to do this.

I would love to get 6 months at a time if I could, don't think they'd let me know. I know I used to buy 3 months at a time in Canada with no questions at all.

I get kind of annoyed with the questions actually. I usually buy our favourite cough syrup two bottles at a time, which means I rarely need to go in for it. They asked me why I need two bottles so I explained my husband likes one on his side of the bed and so do I. We don't use it often but when we do it's in the middle of the night, so it's easier having it right there. It's just annoying to have to explain it to strangers in order to get two bottles at once! I know they're just doing their job though.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

hi all,

can anyone tell me if i would be able to get insurance for my 13 year old daughter who has just been diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease.
we had booked the flights for september but this is going to be too soon so were going to change them for next year as we need to get her in remmission before i can think of anything else.
i'm curious about how much the meds are going to cost, shes on steroids at the moment probably for about 3 months, she also takes sulfasalazine and azathioprine, and at the moment an antacid.
we have permanent visa's, i dont know if that makes any difference.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:35 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost Of Health Care

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Yes I understand about the repeats but you can only get one months supply at a time can't you?
I guess that depends on your medication and dosage. My arthritis medication usually lasts more than a month, and my ulcerative colitis medication lasts for more than three.

I really missed the convenience of repeat prescriptions when I lived in the UK!

Originally Posted by hairart
hi all,

can anyone tell me if i would be able to get insurance for my 13 year old daughter who has just been diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease.
we had booked the flights for september but this is going to be too soon so were going to change them for next year as we need to get her in remmission before i can think of anything else.
i'm curious about how much the meds are going to cost, shes on steroids at the moment probably for about 3 months, she also takes sulfasalazine and azathioprine, and at the moment an antacid.
we have permanent visa's, i dont know if that makes any difference.
Can't help you with this, but just wanted to offer a word of sympathy and support. I've been on steroids a few times when my colitis is bad. Sulfasalazine is a good medication (I've been on it ever since I was diagnosed ten years ago) and available in Australia at a reasonable cost if you ask for the generic brand. I think the standard rate is ~$30 for a bottle of one hundred 500mg tablets. You'll get it for about a third of that price if you have a Healthcare concession card

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 7th 2010 at 8:39 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

hairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nicehairart is just really nice

hi and thanks, she really is going through a tough time at the moment bless her, she's / we're still in hospital at the moment, on IV steroids, she's had a blood transfusion already a couple of weeks ago, and due to have another today because she has lost so much blood with it. The blood tests show that she has gone fron an inflammation level of 76 to 8, so the steroids are doing their job thankfully, just a little bit more to go.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I guess that depends on your medication and dosage. My arthritis medication usually lasts more than a month, and my ulcerative colitis medication lasts for more than three.

I really missed the convenience of repeat prescriptions when I lived in the UK!
Don't see why? In my experience most UK GPs do repeat prescriptions.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 9:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Maybe they don't do them for Australians

Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost Of Health Care

Well... not really. The UK version of a repeat prescription is a little piece of paper telling you what your prescription is. Unfortunately this document cannot be used to purchase your medication, so it is not really a prescription at all. Instead you have to take it to a medical centre and get it exchanged for a real prescription, which you can then take to the chemist. In my experience this process took a minimum of 24 hours (two days was common). After exchanging your "repeat prescription" for a real prescription, you then have to make another appointment to get a new prescription all over again.

Australian repeat prescriptions are exactly what it says on the tin: repeat prescriptions. My prescriptions come with five repeats, which means I can use five prescriptions before I have to visit the GP for a new repeat. I could not do this in the UK, because the NHS does not offer the same service.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 11:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well... not really. The UK version of a repeat prescription is a little piece of paper telling you what your prescription is. Unfortunately this document cannot be used to purchase your medication, so it is not really a prescription at all. Instead you have to take it to a medical centre and get it exchanged for a real prescription, which you can then take to the chemist. In my experience this process took a minimum of 24 hours (two days was common). After exchanging your "repeat prescription" for a real prescription, you then have to make another appointment to get a new prescription all over again.

Australian repeat prescriptions are exactly what it says on the tin: repeat prescriptions. My prescriptions come with five repeats, which means I can use five prescriptions before I have to visit the GP for a new repeat. I could not do this in the UK, because the NHS does not offer the same service.
Agan, not my experience,personally. I used to be issued with actual prescriptions, several at a time, that I could take to the chemist when I needed the medication. In addition I could get further repeats by ringing the surgery and then just dropping in at my convenience to collect them once signed - I used to actually see the doctor once a year or so, and visit the surgery to pick up half a dozen repeats every 3-4 months.

Far less experience here as my local doctor has refused to issue more than one prescription at a time, insists n seeing me though its a minor condition, and won't bulk bill- so at $35 a go plus script charge I decided to do without.

Everyone's experience is different though I guess.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:32 pm
ABCDiamond

Everyone's experience is different though I guess.
I see my doctor once a year for my prescription, which gives me 12 months supply. It's actually only 1 + 5 repeats , but I only take half the dose, so it lasts 12 instead of 6 months.

My local chemist, when I recently went in with an expired repeat prescription, suggested I ring the doctor, and get them to fax a new one over to them while I waited at the chemist.

Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:42 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I see my doctor once a year for my prescription, which gives me 12 months supply. It's actually only 1 + 5 repeats , but I only take half the dose, so it lasts 12 instead of 6 months.

My local chemist, when I recently went in with an expired repeat prescription, suggested I ring the doctor, and get them to fax a new one over to them while I waited at the chemist.
We pay the gap to see the doctor here but not 11% National Insurance on income.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 12:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
We pay the gap to see the doctor here but not 11% National Insurance on income.
We have enough Bulk Billing doctors here to suit me nicely