Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Groceries etc in Adelaide & Supermarket names?

Cost of Groceries etc in Adelaide & Supermarket names?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice
Default Cost of Groceries etc in Adelaide & Supermarket names?

Hi there!

Well I'v had some rest from being glued to the forums for hours on end lol. So here goes another question or 3....lol.

As I'v mentioned in my previous Thread (somewhere) - we are very keen on immigrating to Adelaide in the next 2yrs or so to either the Greenwith, Golden Grove or Wynn Vale suburbs.

What are the supermarkets like there i.e. Tesco, Morrisons equivalents? What are the names of the supermarkets? Do they have websites/internet shopping for groceries?

What is the quality, freshness of the fruit & veg like? Whats the meat like and do they have a big variety of products in their shops - like we do here in Tesco etc?

It's just we are fully into our research stages and doing a spread-sheet to compare cost of living etc. So as the House-wife it's my job to do the research on what we can more a less expect to spend on food products etc on a weekly and/or monthly basis.

Hope you don't think my questions are stupid...lol.

Tx for all the info you folk have given previously - we have found these Forums a brilliant source of information - and have been glued on here everyday since we found it - a week ago!

regards
Marion (aka Maz)
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Groceries etc in Adelaide & Supermarket names?

http://www.bananablue.com.au/ Online shopping site, its a little bit dearer than the 'real' supermarkets but will give you a bit of a start.

The main supermarkets are Woolworths, Coles and Foodland. Meat is better from the Butchers and Veg is better from the Greengrocers. Most of the larger shopping centres have either Wollies, coles or both plus a grocer and butchers

Our shopping bills are around $300 - $350 per fortnight, with milk and bread extra as I buy it locally when needed.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
http://www.bananablue.com.au/ Online shopping site, its a little bit dearer than the 'real' supermarkets but will give you a bit of a start.

The main supermarkets are Woolworths, Coles and Foodland. Meat is better from the Butchers and Veg is better from the Greengrocers. Most of the larger shopping centres have either Wollies, coles or both plus a grocer and butchers

Our shopping bills are around $300 - $350 per fortnight, with milk and bread extra as I buy it locally when needed.
Echoing what Wendy has said, we shop in Coles mostly and for a family of 5 spend $200 in there and then another $50-60 in the fruit and Veg shop and Chicken/Butchers. Also buy milk & bread locally at the IGA when needed.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Hi to you both

Tx for that info - will have a browse now and see what they are like - should be interesting

We now buy our meat direct from a Farmer/Butcher in Cornwall. He Butchers his own cattle. Has Rosette awards for his meat. Is much better quality than the Supermarkets, is actually cheaper too and at least he is getting paid direct for his hard work, instead of getting paid peanuts by the Supermarkets. Also buy our fruit & veg from the Farm shop and we now get Organic Free Range Eggs (20pk) for £2.10. Most of them are double yolk. Food has got so expensive here! Everytime I go shopping it's gone up in price!

Well here I am up late again at some MAD hour - am tired - but nevertheless am gonna carry on browsing...lol.

Hope you all have a brill sun shiney day - downunder. Weather is cr*p here. Was still dark at 8.50am this morning and dark by 4pm this afternoon. How depressing. I hate this place!

regards
maz
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devonfamily
Hi to you both

Tx for that info - will have a browse now and see what they are like - should be interesting

We now buy our meat direct from a Farmer/Butcher in Cornwall. He Butchers his own cattle. Has Rosette awards for his meat. Is much better quality than the Supermarkets, is actually cheaper too and at least he is getting paid direct for his hard work, instead of getting paid peanuts by the Supermarkets. Also buy our fruit & veg from the Farm shop and we now get Organic Free Range Eggs (20pk) for £2.10. Most of them are double yolk. Food has got so expensive here! Everytime I go shopping it's gone up in price!

Well here I am up late again at some MAD hour - am tired - but nevertheless am gonna carry on browsing...lol.

Hope you all have a brill sun shiney day - downunder. Weather is cr*p here. Was still dark at 8.50am this morning and dark by 4pm this afternoon. How depressing. I hate this place!

regards
maz
Its 28 degrees here today - thank God as I'm almost melted away after the temps we've had for the past few weeks
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi to you both

regards
maz
It's supposed to be a beautiful 27 degrees today, a thankful rest from the 40's! You'll be here before you know it, try and enjoy what you have there till you get here. It's very dry and dusty here and not attractive at all, soak up that wet green countryside!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Crikey - just had a look!

It's expensive hey!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
It's supposed to be a beautiful 27 degrees today, a thankful rest from the 40's! You'll be here before you know it, try and enjoy what you have there till you get here. It's very dry and dusty here and not attractive at all, soak up that wet green countryside!

Just please tell me it looks nothing like "Alicante" in Costa Blanca when you drive down the Motorway - and just see dry dry baron land - that looks like downtown Beirut....lol
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's expensive hey!
Yep! and the drought is pushing it up everyday!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's expensive hey!

It can be if you're not careful, but take about 10% off the cost on the site I gave you
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just please tell me it looks nothing like "Alicante" in Costa Blanca when you drive down the Motorway - and just see dry dry baron land - that looks like downtown Beirut....lol
Er well I've never been to Alicante but it is very dry, tho I would stop short at saying Beruit!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tx for the info ladies

Am off to bed. Other half (better half as he calls himself...lol) is standing here waiting saying "Come on.... bed!"

will be back on here tomorrow!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tx for the info ladies

Am off to bed. Other half (better half as he calls himself...lol) is standing here waiting saying "Come on.... bed!"

will be back on here tomorrow!
G/nite
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Motorway? we don't have them here

We have large multi laned roads, and in some parts the view is lovely, in others not so much (depends where on Main North Road you are )

There are some stunning views here though.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
Echoing what Wendy has said, we shop in Coles mostly and for a family of 5 spend $200 in there and then another $50-60 in the fruit and Veg shop and Chicken/Butchers. Also buy milk & bread locally at the IGA when needed.

The prices you quote seem a lot cheaper than my grocery bill.

I serioulsy wonder if the food is more expensive here in Canberra - i have been told by folks that it is but wasn't sure.

How much for say a kilo of chicken breasts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.