Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice
Default Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Hi everyone,

I am due an eye test and, no doubt, will have to have another pair of glasses. My question is, should I get this sorted out in the UK (bearing in mind that I normally get my glasses from Specsavers at about £70 - £80 which includes a pair of prescription sunglasses ), or would they be cheaper in Oz?

Also, it made me wonder if the same happens in Oz with regard to eye tests, in that if you work at a VDU do you get free eye tests?

Hazel
Old Jun 12th 2005, 5:58 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

You should go to Specsavers as they have got a buy one get one free offer on at the moment - I got two pairs for £85 - brilliant value! That's lenses AND frames . I also had one pair made into sunnies for free! Well worth it. If you have a look on some of the freebie forums you can get a voucher for a free eye test somewhere (I got D&A) so that should be free too!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
Hi everyone,

I am due an eye test and, no doubt, will have to have another pair of glasses. My question is, should I get this sorted out in the UK (bearing in mind that I normally get my glasses from Specsavers at about £70 - £80 which includes a pair of prescription sunglasses ), or would they be cheaper in Oz?

Also, it made me wonder if the same happens in Oz with regard to eye tests, in that if you work at a VDU do you get free eye tests?

Hazel
Get them in the UK. Definitely.
One free eye test a year with Medicare, and they don't care if you work with VDUs - I use one all day for the Govt and they laughed when I suggested help with glasses!
I never wore glasses in the UK, but am assured they are dirt cheap compared to here. I have something called graduated lenses, with the cheapest possible frames; paid $500 !!! Ouch! And when I suggested sunglasses the optician said if I had to ask the price, to forget having them.
I have to whinge about that - they tell you never to go out in the sun here without eye protection, but prescription sunnies are v v expensive! I have had to virtually give up marshalling at motor races - need sun protection for one thing, and secondly if I break the ordinary ones running onto the track, I can't afford to replace them at $500 a go. Wearing ordinary sunnies proved useless - my vision isn;t clear enough by the end of a long day.

If you can round up some two-for-one offers in the UK, make sure you come equipped.
I have a question in return - being new to glasses - when I come over in October on holiday, what will it cost me for an eye test over there? I would be looking at Boots or somewhere with a two-for-one. to get some sunnies if possible. Still have my NHS card if that helps!!
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:18 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
One free eye test a year with Medicare, and they don't care if you work with VDUs - I use one all day for the Govt and they laughed when I suggested help with glasses!
I never wore glasses in the UK, but am assured they are dirt cheap compared to here. I have something called graduated lenses, with the cheapest possible frames; paid $500 !!! Ouch! And when I suggested sunglasses the optician said if I had to ask the price, to forget having them.
I have to whinge about that - they tell you never to go out in the sun here without eye protection, but prescription sunnies are v v expensive! I have had to virtually give up marshalling at motor races - need sun protection for one thing, and secondly if I break the ordinary ones running onto the track, I can't afford to replace them at $500 a go. Wearing ordinary sunnies proved useless - my vision isn;t clear enough by the end of a long day.

If you can round up some two-for-one offers in the UK, make sure you come equipped.
I have a question in return - being new to glasses - when I come over in October on holiday, what will it cost me for an eye test over there? I would be looking at Boots or somewhere with a two-for-one. to get some sunnies if possible. Still have my NHS card if that helps!!
With Private medical care eye tests and glases are pretty much free over here POlly.

However whilst in the UK go for it, an eye test si about 26 quid but can be free on the right day ( just look fot eh signoutside the optitions) ans see how it goes.

Kala
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:25 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Originally Posted by JayDeee
With Private medical care eye tests and glases are pretty much free over here POlly.

However whilst in the UK go for it, an eye test si about 26 quid but can be free on the right day ( just look fot eh signoutside the optitions) ans see how it goes.

Kala
Was that reply a joke or is your spelling just bad ! ? ! ? !

Better get them eyes checked sooner rather than later eh!

R.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:36 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Carruss
Was that reply a joke or is your spelling just bad ! ? ! ? !

Better get them eyes checked sooner rather than later eh!

R.
Nah it's just 2.35am and I am a bit trollied to tel the truth

Kala
Old Jun 12th 2005, 6:41 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Nah it's just 2.35am and I am a bit trollied to tel the truth

Kala
LOL

R.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 7:51 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I would definately go to Specsavers, it cost me either £10 or £15 (can`t remember exactly but def no more than £15) the last time I went in January. I wear contact lenses but also have a pair of glasses to give my eyes a rest
and am practically blind without them (-9 prescription). They usually have an offer of sort on - I got special lenses for my new glasses and got £60 off the total price ( I had a choice of that or prescription sunglasses).
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

What do you pay for childrens glasses in the UK now, one of ours just got them here and even with a cheap frame(if he lost them we have to buy another pair our cost) was just under $430. Our private health paid $225 of that and the eye test was the annual free one.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 12th 2005 at 8:43 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Kevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really niceKevhaze is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
What do you pay for childrens glasses in the UK now, one of ours just got them here and even with a cheap frame was just under $430. Our private health paid $225 of that and the eye test was the annual free one.

Childrens' glasses are free if they have the National Health ones, which aren't as bad as you would expect :scared:

My daughter, however, didn't want the National Health ones and decided on the designer ones, (Red or Dead) and these only cost me £40.

Childrens eye tests are free.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I will get mine at Specsavers before moving to Oz.

Hazel
Old Jun 12th 2005, 8:53 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
Childrens' glasses are free if they have the National Health ones, which aren't as bad as you would expect :scared:

My daughter, however, didn't want the National Health ones and decided on the designer ones, (Red or Dead) and these only cost me £40.

Childrens eye tests are free.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I will get mine at Specsavers before moving to Oz.

Hazel
Will specsavers let you purchase a pair of specs if you are not present..
i.e You send someone in with a valid prescription to buy them for you..??? and then they post them to you in Australia....

CORKER
Old Jun 12th 2005, 10:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
Will specsavers let you purchase a pair of specs if you are not present..
i.e You send someone in with a valid prescription to buy them for you..??? and then they post them to you in Australia....

CORKER
I don't know if Specsavers will (I have always gone to my local independent since I was 3) but if it's a straightforward prescription you can easily do it over the internet. I couldn't because the strongest bit of one of the lenses is not central and they obviously can't measure your eye over the net. If "normal" can work out very cheaply.

Have also heard that if you have a prescription you can get very cheap designer glasses in Singapore during a stopover.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:21 am
ABCDiamond

Here is a link that should help in comparing costs: http://www.eyeglassesaustralia.com.au/
Some examples are:

Frame + Light & Thin Polycarbonate Lenses $99.00
Frame + CR39 Hard-Resin Lenses + Dark Sun Tint $118.00
Frame + Seiko 1.67 Super-High Index Lenses $217.00
Frame + CR39 Hard-Resin Transitions® Lenses $217.00
Frame + CR39 Hard Resin Polarized Lenses $217.00

My daughters last glasses, from OPSM, were $149.00, and chose the frame herself
OPSM are good for kids glasses as they have the 6 month warranty.

Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:27 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I got some glasses just a couple of months ago - got the most expensive bloody things on earth, titanium frames that are so lightweight you cant even feel them, bendable & that you can tie in knots, frameless with the transitions lenses (that go from normal to dark in 30 seconds) with the anti-reflective coating & they cost $600.

Last years pair were the top range anti-reflective lenses with a good quality pair of designer frames called Convertibles which came with a pair of clip on sunnies.

Cost was about $450. My health fund pays for around $200-250 of my bill.

My cousin gets a new pair of glasses every year (very trendy frames) & never pays a cent cos they are under the $200 or $250 that her health fund rebates her.

This place does glasses for $99 Eyeglasses Australia I'll be using them next time I need a pair!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 12:58 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the deal with scrip. safety specs here? I've been promising Debs a pair for ages as she uses the angle grinder a lot for cutting tiles and finds the goggles squash her normal glasses painfully against her face.
None of the net sites I've looked at show any.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.