Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of flights different from Aus

Cost of flights different from Aus

Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cost of flights different from Aus

Hi,
Anyone know why the cost of flights is so much higher when you are going from Aus to the UK against the otehr way around? It is the same company, same planes, same websites etc and yet a flight for two people from Perth to London return is $4891 while London to perth return same company is $3792. Tries for Singapore airlines and Emirates and Expedia.. why are we being penalised or ripped off here? Sure there will be some rational business explanation but the difference is over a grand that could be better spent! Is there any way of getting around this?

Cheers

Chris
Old Apr 6th 2008, 6:42 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Cost of flights different from Aus

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
Anyone know why the cost of flights is so much higher when you are going from Aus to the UK against the otehr way around? It is the same company, same planes, same websites etc and yet a flight for two people from Perth to London return is $4891 while London to perth return same company is $3792. Tries for Singapore airlines and Emirates and Expedia.. why are we being penalised or ripped off here? Sure there will be some rational business explanation but the difference is over a grand that could be better spent! Is there any way of getting around this?

Cheers

Chris
Because the airlines know a captive market when they see one.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of flights different from Aus

I've found this too and it really frustrates me... I've never known if I was just choosing the wrong times of the year to fly Brisbane to London or if they really were more all the time.

It's a good job the exchange rate is so favourable for us in Australia at the moment so my wages are working out better and therefore slightly more spending money when I'm visiting the UK soon.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tieve
I've found this too and it really frustrates me... I've never known if I was just choosing the wrong times of the year to fly Brisbane to London or if they really were more all the time.

It's a good job the exchange rate is so favourable for us in Australia at the moment so my wages are working out better and therefore slightly more spending money when I'm visiting the UK soon.
WARNING CONTAINS GEEKY TECHNICAL CRAP!!! - also fuel costs more going from oz to the UK because the planes tend to fly higher to try and catch the jet stream, also more fuel is used as australia has a lot of turbulant air at around 34,000 ft, and the jet stream is at around 42,000 ft, so the planes must fly through the turbulant air to get to the jet stream.

NERDY, I KNOW lol

Vik
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by viksta1000
WARNING CONTAINS GEEKY TECHNICAL CRAP!!! - also fuel costs more going from oz to the UK because the planes tend to fly higher to try and catch the jet stream, also more fuel is used as australia has a lot of turbulant air at around 34,000 ft, and the jet stream is at around 42,000 ft, so the planes must fly through the turbulant air to get to the jet stream.

NERDY, I KNOW lol

Vik
lol geeky but interesting... thanks

What it still doesn't explain though is why it still costs more... I mean pricing return flights from Brisbane - Brisbane i find more expensive than London - London. Both flights have the cheaper less fuel London - Brisbane leg and the more fuel usage Brisbane - London. Are Aussies penalised for living at the expensive end?
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tieve
lol geeky but interesting... thanks

What it still doesn't explain though is why it still costs more... I mean pricing return flights from Brisbane - Brisbane i find more expensive than London - London. Both flights have the cheaper less fuel London - Brisbane leg and the more fuel usage Brisbane - London. Are Aussies penalised for living at the expensive end?
It's a bit of both, Viksta almost correct in that the prevailing winds at altitude are mostly NWesterlies over central aisia out of singapore and bangkok, so the SYD-SIN-LHR and BKK-LHR sectors mean your average 744 is pedalling against the wind.

It's also Northern Winter now up north, so that means legally you must carry extra fuel , especially if the discharge point is LHR, for holding, weather and so forth.

For example, around this time of the year, occasionally the QF1, 2, and 5's have zero payload capacity for belly cargo, and often a block on seats, i,e, an empty section of Pax seats, because they cannot carry a full load on the SIN/BKK - LHR sector.

still does not explain away the price difference tho'

Turblence has nothing to do with it, save for flying around depressions and adverse wx, thus increasing the fuel requirement.

Last edited by deryans; Apr 6th 2008 at 9:35 am.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by viksta1000

NERDY, I KNOW lol

Vik
The difference is that the location and distance etc are the same, htese are prices for Australia to London and back (expensive) versus London to Australia and back (cheap), therefor the same flights in effect.. so plane height, turbulent air, jet streams etc make no difference, just Aussies get ripped of by the same companies
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:55 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of things are different prices. Its just the way it is.

In UK Penfolds Bin 387 is around £15 a bottle. Here its $55 - ad its got to get and expensive airplane over there! Like air travel though, its still a necessity!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

The difference is that the location and distance etc are the same, htese are prices for Australia to London and back (expensive) versus London to Australia and back (cheap), therefor the same flights in effect.. so plane height, turbulent air, jet streams etc make no difference, just Aussies get ripped of by the same companies
I thought it was cos it wus uphil!!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:39 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Lots of things are different prices. Its just the way it is.

In UK Penfolds Bin 387 is around £15 a bottle. Here its $55 - ad its got to get and expensive airplane over there! Like air travel though, its still a necessity!
That explains the expensive airfares... Penfolds are sending all their products around the world by airfreight !!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deryans
It's a bit of both, Viksta almost correct in that the prevailing winds at altitude are mostly NWesterlies over central aisia out of singapore and bangkok, so the SYD-SIN-LHR and BKK-LHR sectors mean your average 744 is pedalling against the wind.

It's also Northern Winter now up north, so that means legally you must carry extra fuel , especially if the discharge point is LHR, for holding, weather and so forth.

For example, around this time of the year, occasionally the QF1, 2, and 5's have zero payload capacity for belly cargo, and often a block on seats, i,e, an empty section of Pax seats, because they cannot carry a full load on the SIN/BKK - LHR sector.

still does not explain away the price difference tho'

Turblence has nothing to do with it, save for flying around depressions and adverse wx, thus increasing the fuel requirement.
Fascinating science but as you say, doesn't explain the price difference - a return ticket does the same route regardless of whether you start from the Uk or from Australia.

The airlines fleece you from Australia because they can. The government are very tight as to which airline can and can't have a route, the airlines then have less reason to fight for business so can happily charge what the hell they want, also presumably the fact the percentage of residents wanting to fly overseas is less, they feel the need to make as much as possible out of a small amount of people.

Whatever the reason, it sucks and it totally negates the oft mentioned posts from people still in the UK that "it's only 24 hours away and we plan to travel back once a year".
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

viksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant futureviksta1000 has a brilliant future

another reason is the amount of money the airport owners are getting from the number of airlines passing through their airport.

Eg.
London is the busiest airport in the world
Over 470,000 aircraft pass through the airport every year
over 63m passengers pass through the airport every year

While brisbane airport:
Around 130,000 aircraft pass through the airport every year
Around 15m passengers pass through the airport every year.

So as Heathrow are getting more business through the throughput of aircraft a passengers, they can charge the airlines less for various costs such as:
Parking
Landing costs
Maintainance
Storage
etc.

So as the airlines are charged less at london, the airlines can charge the passengers less.

However the same cannot be said about airlines passing through brisbane.

Now you may be thinking, the airlines have to pay Brisbane Airport co-operation ltd the same amount whether they are departing from brisbane, or arriving and doing a turn around in brisbane

This is not the case, remember, airlines will stay longer in their hub airport than they will in the turn around airport. So airlines such as quantas will pay more at brisbane, than an airline such as Air france.

Also airlines who have secondary hubs also pay more, eg. british airways has a hub in sydney, so BA will also charge more departing from sydney, same goes for emirates, but airlines such qatar airways, lufthansa and swiss dont have hibs their, so they charge less

This is the reason why airlines charge more, because the simple fact is that australian airports get less business

Sorry for the HUGE!!! post

Vik

Last edited by viksta1000; Apr 6th 2008 at 1:59 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hi,

Cheers

Chris
Not enough competition. So they charge what they want.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

A cheaper way of flying to London, but is more hassle, is to fly with Tiger to Singapore and then fly with say, Qatar, to London. Need to do an overnight in Singapore but does seem cheaper especially around August.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Not enough competition. So they charge what they want.
That's not entirely true, the prices for a given sector are annually regulated by IATA and published as an "agreed" pricing schedule across all the airlines, but typically the airlines can maneuver around this, for example Ryanair in Europe.

if you are getting to LHR and Back for less than 2K economy (say 1700-1800) then the airline is subsidizing your seat with first class and business class bums.

Emirates have (get this) 58 airbus 380's on order over the next 5-10 years That's going to force consolidation in a big way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.