Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of family cars in SA!

Cost of family cars in SA!

Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice
Default Cost of family cars in SA!

Hi all,

For those of you who have already immigrated to Adelaide - can you tell me how many of you can afford to have 2 cars in the family? My OH will need a car for work and I will need a reliable run-around to get my son to school and the shops etc.

The cost of cars is shocking and I can't bear the thought of moving abroad and not being able to have my own little car - how on earth would I meet people and find my way around if I'm stuck at home all day - will drive me spare!!!

Also the Housewives out there what cars do you have i.e. to get the kids to school and do your shopping etc? My OH is currently looking online at the price of cars and models, mileage etc. Looks like the cars are from the year dot - with very high mileage @ +-5000Aus$! How much do you need to spend to get a decent family car?

Tx
Maz & Dave
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of family cars in SA!

Originally Posted by Devonfamily
Hi all,

For those of you who have already immigrated to Adelaide - can you tell me how many of you can afford to have 2 cars in the family? My OH will need a car for work and I will need a reliable run-around to get my son to school and the shops etc.

The cost of cars is shocking and I can't bear the thought of moving abroad and not being able to have my own little car - how on earth would I meet people and find my way around if I'm stuck at home all day - will drive me spare!!!

Also the Housewives out there what cars do you have i.e. to get the kids to school and do your shopping etc? My OH is currently looking online at the price of cars and models, mileage etc. Looks like the cars are from the year dot - with very high mileage @ +-5000Aus$! How much do you need to spend to get a decent family car?

Tx
Maz & Dave
Ok, so lets see - do they have Flintstones vehicles out there - does ANYBODY have a car??????????
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Devonfamily
Hi all,

Tx
Maz & Dave

Hi, every body i know have 2 car's,
usually , 1 new and 1 old, and in most cases like the uk they have 3 or 4 cars parked on the front due to the childrens car's.
The cost of car's are not that much different than the uk, if you stick to non imports such as. ie Holden, Ford, Mitshibushi.
The major cost for us brits to get our head around is the stamp duty and on rd cost, this cost goes on top of the car price.
If you found a good run around for about $5000 , you will pay another $500 in extra cost's,
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of second hand cars in Adelaide is HUGLEY different from the UK. It is sickening when you first arrive. We had had a corsa in the UK, and the same car, same year and milage here was 4x the book price in the UK!!!! FOUR TIMES! That is a big difference.

We are here on a student visa, so had planned to have two cars, but as hubbie is bussing it into town for work we just couldn't justify it.
Also, as we camped for the first 3 weeks we were here we decided we needed a fairly large car to keep our whole life in. We ended up for a Ford Falkon, 1999 (I think the milage was something like 150000km), duel fuel, but it was $8000!!! Shocking. That was after a full week of constant searching, and before the stamp duty!

You can get cheap cars, but like you say, they are old, and often look it.

Good luck
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by milly123
Hi, every body i know have 2 car's,
usually , 1 new and 1 old, and in most cases like the uk they have 3 or 4 cars parked on the front due to the childrens car's.
The cost of car's are not that much different than the uk, if you stick to non imports such as. ie Holden, Ford, Mitshibushi.
The major cost for us brits to get our head around is the stamp duty and on rd cost, this cost goes on top of the car price.
If you found a good run around for about $5000 , you will pay another $500 in extra cost's,
But the rego and compulsory third party insurance (included) is a darn sight cheaper
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

We live in SA but not Adelaide,we have 2 cars bought at the end of the tax year, end of June great time for a Bargain
Car 1 a Holden Barina(Vauxhall Corsa)
Car 2 a Nissan Patrol
For us Insurance is cheaper over here compared to uk.
Petrol Diesel cheaper so over all running costs cheaper.
hope this helps
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Holden Barina - it's a 92 model and it cost me $4k to buy last year. I spend around $35 to fill her up from empty and she goes about 400km on that - so about once a fortnight is enough if I'm just running to shops etc. Rego is just over $600 per year and I don't have any other insurance
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Hi,

I'm hoping to get out to Adelaide in a few months and will be looking to buy a car. From what i've seen prices of 2nd hand cars are expensive, but what are the other general costs i.e. stamp duty etc?

Thanks