Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Child care

Cost of Child care

Old Apr 29th 2009, 1:04 am
ABCDiamond

Default Cost of Child care

My local paper has advertised some prices for local Child Care...

Working Full Time:
5 days costs $235.00 (without any Child Care Benefit CCB entitlement)
5 Days costs $61.50 with 100% CCB entitlement.

Not Working
2 days costs $8.40 Anyone know much about this ?

These prices are for one Child Care Centre in my area, in the Redlands, others may or may not be similar.

Child Care Centres in my area often advertise, I assume they have vacancies.

Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default Re: Cost of Child care

eh thats not right surely ?
My other half works,i dont. Little one goes 3 days to kindy. We get 2 days at half price,one day at full price. Daily rate is about $52 if memory serves.
Sunbound
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Actually it does sound about right doesnt it? Dont know about the not working bit though , $8.40 sounds a good price though !!!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Not Working
That is correct, people who dont work get a massive subsiby from the taxpayer to put their kids in childcare up to 2 days a week.

They dont have to be studying or anything, almost free childcare, not sure how many taxpayers realise that
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:33 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
That is correct, people who dont work get a massive subsiby from the taxpayer to put their kids in childcare up to 2 days a week.

They dont have to be studying or anything, almost free childcare, not sure how many taxpayers realise that
have you got any further details on this?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Probably not. Someone will google.

However its a bit of a whinge with several aussies at work, they want childcare as they are working but cant get kids into centres as so many places go the kids of those who cant be bothered to work, or just fancy a break from their kids. At $4 a day most centres are jammed full of kids whose parents are out shopping, pokies, movies, lunch etc

Right ballsup of a system must cost the country a fortune.

Edit I was told it was $8 a day, whatever it is the taxpayer is picking up the rest of the tab.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Where???
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Probably not. Someone will google.

However its a bit of a whinge with several aussies at work, they want childcare as they are working but cant get kids into centres as so many places go the kids of those who cant be bothered to work, or just fancy a break from their kids. At $4 a day most centres are jammed full of kids whose parents are out shopping, pokies, movies, lunch etc

Right ballsup of a system must cost the country a fortune.

Edit I was told it was $8 a day, whatever it is the taxpayer is picking up the rest of the tab.
Have a friend who does this (not the pokies,movies bit) she is single has no family here and not working at present. I don't begrudge her 1 day a week to have some personal time without her daughter. I also help her out for a couple of hours a week and feel it's important for her to get a break sometimes.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by asprilla
The way I read the Centrelink info, it should be the same price for all, before the rebate kicks in.

Therefore if it was $8.40 for 2 days, assuming 100% benefit rate, then 5 days should be 5 x $4.20 = $21. But that doesn't work out against the $61.50 for 5 days.

Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

but i do know that at our local childcare centres if you're working you get priority over those mums that dont...
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bridie
but i do know that at our local childcare centres if you're working you get priority over those mums that dont...
Same here in the five I have looked at....
Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I found a community childcare place for $56 dollar place a day joint. But I also found a joint that is $54 a place day in a place called Treetops. Very professional although the toddler room doesnt seem to be as hands on.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:17 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I know the centre in Alexandra Hills (A Busy Bee) advertises like that in the paper. It's a bit silly really because they are advertising the rate at 100% CCB.

I can tell you when I wasn't working at all last year we got 0% CCB because of the income test and we therefore paid full price. I now am working a day or two a month and we still pay full price (at A Busy Bee centre), although I do get some of that back due to the child tax rebate because I make sure I'm working or volunteering even a little bit every week.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 6:29 am
ABCDiamond

Last time we looked we were on 85%.

2006 we had a 30 minute claim for the whole year !!
I dropped my daughter at school a little early, and they put her in the child care centre till school started !! Then they invoiced us, about $1 extra on the $3,000'ish school fee bill !!!

Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:55 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My local paper has advertised some prices for local Child Care...

Working Full Time:
5 days costs $235.00 (without any Child Care Benefit CCB entitlement)
5 Days costs $61.50 with 100% CCB entitlement.

Not Working

These prices are for one Child Care Centre in my area, in the Redlands, others may or may not be similar.

Child Care Centres in my area often advertise, I assume they have vacancies.
100% CCB is as follows....school age = $3.9325, under school age = $4.6265, this is per hour. To work out your personal % you need to multiply the above figure by the % you get. Multiply this by the hours in care and deduct the figure from the full fee. Ifyour kindy charges you per 12 hour day but you only use 6 hours, it is still classed as you using the full 12 hours.
There is an order of care all child care providers have to follow, working parents do get priority. Also, single parents will probably get 20 hours at 100% to allow them a bit of time out. Working or studying parents can get up to 50 hours automatically but can get more hours than this in special circumstances.
Bear in mind people that satisfy the criteria also get 50% of what they physically pay back once a quarter....CCTR rebate. Generally single parents that don't contribute through work or study don't get this.

Any more questions, happy to help

Marie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.