Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of car registration/insurance

Cost of car registration/insurance

Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of car registration/insurance

Can anyone help my rego is about to expire and I was wondering how much I would be looking at paying for a year.

I have a Holden Barina, 1.6 in Mango Hills, not sure is the address has any bearning on the cost. I have fully comprehensive insurance with the RACQ.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Mrs M
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of car registration/insurance

Originally Posted by Mrs M
Can anyone help my rego is about to expire and I was wondering how much I would be looking at paying for a year.

I have a Holden Barina, 1.6 in Mango Hills, not sure is the address has any bearning on the cost. I have fully comprehensive insurance with the RACQ.

Thank you

Mrs M
Rego on our 4 cylinder vehicles was about 630 ish, that was in february, it was quite a bit up on last year.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for replying

Do you mine me asking what was it last year?

Do you have a choice with who you go with or is this a payment straight to the government?

Kind Regards
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

Mrsmightymike has a spectacular aura aboutMrsmightymike has a spectacular aura aboutMrsmightymike has a spectacular aura about

It's a payment straight to the government, so you pay them through the Queensland Dept of Transport and Main Roads. If you haven't had one already, you should get a letter shortly saying how much the rego will be for a year. Or if you ring them up and give them the registration number then they will be able to tell you how much it will be.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Mrs M

Thank you

Mrs M
You will probably pay:
$262.45 Registration fee
plus
$ 45.80 Traffic improvement fee
plus
$347.00 CTP insurance premium

Mine went up 20% from last year

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Apr 28th 2010 at 7:00 am.

Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:45 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You will probably pay:
$262.45 Registration fee
plus
$ 45.80 Traffic improvement fee
plus
$347.00 CTP insurance premium
r
$262.45, it's pretty cheap, eh? [ignoring the usual 'stealth taxes']
Old Apr 28th 2010, 7:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
$262.45, it's pretty cheap, eh? [ignoring the usual 'stealth taxes']
It depends what you compare it against.

You have to add all three costs here; Rego, CTP and full insurance, and compare the total against full Insurance and Car Tax in the UK, to get a better idea.

Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If the $600 odd is too much to pay at the moment you can always do it in six month blocks, get whacked with a surcharge of course but that's what First Born is going to have to do this year.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 10:58 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It depends what you compare it against.

You have to add all three costs here; Rego, CTP and full insurance, and compare the total against full Insurance and Car Tax in the UK, to get a better idea.
I think they are pretty even.

Our UK car 1.9L MPV > 12mths road tax abt. £200 + insurance £350 (fully comp inc. windscreen cover)

Our Oz car 4L Sedan > 12mths rego abt. $750 + insurance $420 (fully comp inc windscreen cover)
Old Apr 28th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for your replys everyone, so far I have not received a letter so I will give them a ring tomorrow

Kind Regards

Mrs M