Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cost of beer & wine

cost of beer & wine

Old Sep 25th 2003, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of beer & wine

We pay around $15 NZ for a dozen 355ml cans/bottles of beer in NZ. Whats it cost in Oz? Our supermarkets also sell alcohol. Sometomes you can buy a dozen 355ml cans/bottles of an average lager for $10. Do the supermarkets in Oz sell booze? A reasonable bottle(750ml) of wine here will cost $15 - 20. How much in Oz.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Supermarkets don't sell booze here from what I've seen. It's All bottle shops and drive throughs.

ABout $30-$35 for 24-28 bottles of nomal beer. $40 ish for Crownies.

Wine I buy in casks about $12, by the bottle it can range from $6-$12 for bottle of half decent stuff depending wots on offer!!

Old Sep 27th 2003, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

curious as am drinking some lovely wine from oz at the moment...how much is in a cask? excuse my ignorance!
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:27 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Just bought 15 bottle case of Speights for $17 & a bottle of Hardys Shiraz for $6.50 from the local supermarket. not bad really. Oz wine seems to be cheaper here than NZ wine.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:28 pm
WBB

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
curious as am drinking some lovely wine from oz at the moment...how much is in a cask? excuse my ignorance!

i think you can buy them in different sizes, something like 2,3,5 litres.

mind you no matter which one you buy it's never enough in my experience.

Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Taff do they do 1664
Old Sep 27th 2003, 11:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kemmenys

If you are in the Eastern burbs Kemmenys on Bondi Road is probably the best bottle shop. They have a fantastic variety of wine and beer.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:04 am
WBB

Originally posted by chris hogan
Hey Taff do they do 1664

i think i had enough of that last night

Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

I used to be able to get a lager here called tooheys it wasn't bad at all .It was probably one of the first 5%ers I bought in Birkenhead only problem was it gave me serious sh*** the next day
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:25 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chris hogan
I used to be able to get a lager here called tooheys it wasn't bad at all .It was probably one of the first 5%ers I bought in Birkenhead only problem was it gave me serious sh*** the next day
I get serious hangovers from the big beers such as VB, Tooheys etc.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny_samantha - a cask is what we know as a wine box, in various sizes.

Welshboybilly - Not sure about 1664, , but you can get Stella. I quite like Hahns & Tooheys, but the best of all is my beloved Cascade Premium - 2 precious bottles lurking in my (now) nice clean fridge, waiting to be drunk on the last night. Loooovely taste, even puts 1664/Stella in the shade. You'll like it, trust me!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey Taff good to know we can get 1664 out there,although Ilike Stella it gives me a huuuuge headache.My favourite of all time and the one I am worried about is GUINNESS EXTRA COLD its as smooth as silk MMMMMMMMMM
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:57 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of places now do Guinness on tap, but don't know about the extra cold. However, as Aussie beer is served much colder than ours, that will make up for it!
Cascade may not give you the hangover Chris, its strong, but very very smooth......oh what I'd do for one now, but I'm saving the last two....... real test of willpower this one!
Old Sep 28th 2003, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Polly just what I needed to hear I thought I may have to stick to the brandy out there .The taste buds are looking forward to our new life.One thing I won't miss is running up the stairs to the DUNNY I think Imay as well stay up there this time
Old Sep 28th 2003, 1:17 am
Home and Happy

Sleep well! If I ever bump into you over there I'll stand you a Cascade!
And thats just reminded me of one of the wierd things in pubs over there - you pay for the first one (or round) then just leave the change in front of you on the bar - and no-one pinches it! then for the next one, if you just nod, the barman takes the cash out of the pile of change! And so on, all night, just hand over a note and he adds the change to the little heap. Much better than fishing in your pocket all the time!

Trouble is, then you come back to the UK and do it here and either some b****r nicks it, or they put it in the charity box!

Pollyana

Yes I'm still drinking but I've got a fridge to empty.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.