Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of 20' container Shipped to OZ

Cost of 20' container Shipped to OZ

Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:27 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Default Cost of 20' container Shipped to OZ

Just had Robinson's round for pricing up for shipping a 20' container, prelimenary price subject to written price next week was around £3500 inc pack to unpack, seemed a bit steep for a 20' container, what do you think.
Could replace what we have 2nd hand for less than this

Yes I am a tight git & proud of it, had to ask though, hate being ripped off, tho they will price match within reason so will have to wait till Doree, Pickfords & Bishops have been. Perhaps they did incude the car afterall
Share your prices, quotes & recommendations please.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Enzo&Chloe is an unknown quantity at this point

PPS - about £2,900 - 20ft (London - Sydney)
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cost of 20' container Shipped to OZ

pickford
£3,783 sole use 20ft, they pack it all, ship it and unpack

that's everything in the house inc. white goods

when we went round and costed out replacing it all it made the £4k seem bloody cheapa s most of our stuff is very new.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Go on say it, a really stupid question.
Anyway, when do you have to pay for the shipping.
When it is packed or when it is shipped
Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:57 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by S Oldfield
Go on say it, a really stupid question.
Anyway, when do you have to pay for the shipping.
When it is packed or when it is shipped
Usually 7 days before its packed. However, because mine was very last minute, PSS didn't invoice me till after they'd taken the stuff away. There have been many many stupider questions than that on here

Jane
Old Dec 11th 2003, 3:30 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Usually 7 days before its packed. However, because mine was very last minute, PSS didn't invoice me till after they'd taken the stuff away. There have been many many stupider questions than that on here

Jane
You made the top 100 though only kidding, it seemed ok to me.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Brittania leather barrows 20'container £3000 packed and unpacked. also £130 month storage.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Whats the next size down to a 20`
any ideas
Old Dec 11th 2003, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future
Default bout 'alf I'd say innit!

I reckon that would be a 10' container...but not sure....

Another question I have at this late hour - is it possible to share a container? We're just planning to take our suitcases on the flight and then ship the few possessions we have later....but have been thinking if there are containers going to Oz with space then would it theoretically be possible to put items in there too? Of course you'd pay your fair share, but not sure if it's legal or whether customs would be happy with that? You'd also have to show the other emigres that you're not moving an assignment of WMD or AK47s!!!

Off to now
Old Dec 11th 2003, 11:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Shipping companies will deal with your stuff for you, even if you haven't enough for a whole container. The only thing is that it is slower, because they will have to wait until there is a full container before they ship it. You may be lucky though - the day my stuff went up to the port, 3 other people's stuff for Brissie arrived there as well, so the container was full straight away. Each box is labelled so Customs know whos stuff is whose.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 6:53 am
Purveyor of Beaches

Default Re: bout 'alf I'd say innit!

Originally posted by piers_morgan
I reckon that would be a 10' container...but not sure....

Another question I have at this late hour - is it possible to share a container? We're just planning to take our suitcases on the flight and then ship the few possessions we have later....but have been thinking if there are containers going to Oz with space then would it theoretically be possible to put items in there too? Of course you'd pay your fair share, but not sure if it's legal or whether customs would be happy with that? You'd also have to show the other emigres that you're not moving an assignment of WMD or AK47s!!!

Off to now
Try these guys for smaller items/requirements

http://www.excessbaggage.co.uk/
Old Dec 12th 2003, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DavidT
Just had Robinson's round for pricing up for shipping a 20' container, prelimenary price subject to written price next week was around £3500 inc pack to unpack, seemed a bit steep for a 20' container, what do you think.

Yes I am a tight git & proud of it, had to ask though, hate being ripped off, tho they will price match within reason so will have to wait till Doree, Pickfords & Bishops have been. Perhaps they did incude the car afterall

Just a warning David, all the companies may seem the same but the one that you have just had a quote from gave us loads of hassle and were really poor.
Oh, don't forget also to include insurance-we forgot to budget for that and it is surprising how much it adds onto the final cots-I think in total ours was about 4000-4,500.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 7:22 am
Purveyor of Beaches

Originally posted by melaniee
Just a warning David, all the companies may seem the same but the one that you have just had a quote from gave us loads of hassle and were really poor.
Oh, don't forget also to include insurance-we forgot to budget for that and it is surprising how much it adds onto the final cots-I think in total ours was about 4000-4,500.
Thanks Mel I was just thinking that very same thought, they wanted to add £1500 to the quote for insurance, claiming the cost of replacing like for like would be around £30 to £50k
:scared: I would be happy just to think it was worth £15k.
This company moved the couple that were in the Gold coast Moving down under last week. Better not risk fate striking twice . I have 3 other co's to see yet, Doree,Pickfords & bishops.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Good luck with it all.
Some people on this site have said that they risked not taking insurance. We had a few things smashed, picture frames etc that were not that well wrapped and so we will be making a claim!
Old Dec 12th 2003, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DavidT

There should be lots of threads on this already if you wish to check out different comments. My only thought is that unless you are loaded AND will have heaps of time to spare here, bring everything!!. Its not easy to replace things and takes forever when you are not very familiar with shops etc. I think it would be more stressful to buy everything again. You may get a cheaper quote than 3500, but even that may end up being cheap compared to buying everything new here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.