Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Corolla's in Sydney how much have you paid

Corolla's in Sydney how much have you paid

Old Mar 18th 2005, 2:58 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Corolla's in Sydney how much have you paid

I am going to get a Corolla (cheap, well made, hold value) and was wondering what extras and how much anyone has got them for. I have to go auto for the Mrs and 5 door for the littlun.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:49 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Re: Corolla's in Sydney how much have you paid

Originally Posted by bondipom
I am going to get a Corolla (cheap, well made, hold value) and was wondering what extras and how much anyone has got them for. I have to go auto for the Mrs and 5 door for the littlun.
I'd steer clear of the older AE82 if I were you. A later (93ish) AE92 could be had in good order for around the 4.5k mark. Falcons of the same age are half the money, but then you have to feel guilty about the ridiculous amount of fuel they use.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by 4lex
I'd steer clear of the older AE82 if I were you. A later (93ish) AE92 could be had in good order for around the 4.5k mark. Falcons of the same age are half the money, but then you have to feel guilty about the ridiculous amount of fuel they use.
I am thinking more of the zero kms 2005 models. I'd rather not be calling the NRMA so I'll be avoiding Fords. The falcon would double my fuel bill and I don't own a flanno yet.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 3:57 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

I am thinking more of the zero kms 2005 models. I'd rather not be calling the NRMA so I'll be avoiding Fords. The falcon would double my fuel bill and I don't own a flanno yet.
Fair enough. Why not go 3yr old and save yourself a packet in depreciation though? You've only got to look around to see how many still on the road at twenty years old to see reliability isn't a major worry.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by 4lex
Fair enough. Why not go 3yr old and save yourself a packet in depreciation though? You've only got to look around to see how many still on the road at twenty years old to see reliability isn't a major worry.
I may go for a nearly new but cars here do not depreciate any where near as much in the UK. If I was the mechanic type I would get an older model and DIY service and fix but living in a unit without a garage rules that out. Anything older than 3 years old needs a lot more parts serviced and the expense of keeping them running increases. Clutches need replacing, brakes, aircon re-compressing blah blah. As I need the car for some of the shifts I do I need the reliability.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 4:18 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

I may go for a nearly new but cars here do not depreciate any where near as much in the UK. If I was the mechanic type I would get an older model and DIY service and fix but living in a unit without a garage rules that out. Anything older than 3 years old needs a lot more parts serviced and the expense of keeping them running increases. Clutches need replacing, brakes, aircon re-compressing blah blah. As I need the car for some of the shifts I do I need the reliability.
See your point. '05 new for 19k ish (ascent 100kw 1.8), same car at 100k km 02 model year seems to fetch 16k? WTF? Definitely worth having the warranty for that I reckon!

Noticed the focus is pretty realistically priced too, that could be worth a look.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 8:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
Why would one feel guilty about that???
That's right, the Falcon rocks, plenty of room for kids and an 8'6 malibu.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I always was a small car owner/lover, Daihatsu's, Nissans, renaults, Even a larger Toyota Camry. Tell you what though, I have owned a top of the range EA (sapphire) falcon now for 4 years, and Maaaaattttteee. They really do Feel good. It's going to be hard to go back from this.

The only way back, for me, could possibly be a large Mazda, from what I saw at the motor show. However they would probably only be half as good dammit.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:26 pm

No one recently bought a corolla then?
Old Mar 18th 2005, 9:57 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Best deal is buy at Government auction - just in or out of warrantee - typically 50,000 km - service to bring up to spec. Vast majority have no significant problems. And for the "new car smell" - buy a can of it. Don't be mugged by new car depreciation.

NRMA - Vehicle operating costs

NRMA - Cost of car ownership - Motor shock
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:24 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

If attending an auction, look for the dealer's representatives. See a car that matches your shirt and only dealers reps bidding - make your bid the last offer.

Pickles Auctions - Fixed Price Car Prices as an example
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
If attending an auction, look for the dealer's representatives. See a car that matches your shirt and only dealers reps bidding - make your bid the last offer.

Pickles Auctions - Fixed Price Car Prices as an example
I'd be wary of auctions because when I went to one to have a look I swear the auctioneer was taking bids from the back wall when the non-dealers were bidding.

A lot of dodgy auction practies go on in Australia, some aren't even against the law like a real estate agent having a fake bdder in the crowd when selling a house.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 10:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by renth
I'd be wary of auctions because when I went to one to have a look I swear the auctioneer was taking bids from the back wall when the non-dealers were bidding.

A lot of dodgy auction practies go on in Australia, some aren't even against the law like a real estate agent having a fake bdder in the crowd when selling a house.
Recommend going to an auction and sitting through the complete sale without making a bid. Watch what goes on. Work out what the dealer price is.

Next week arrive early and look for a car which is not attracting much attention - unfashionable colour, minor scratch, cracked window etc - stuff that is functionally unimportant or readily fixed.

Select a few cars you will bid on and set your highest bid on each before the auction start.

50-60% of new price for 2-3 year old car is about right.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 9:52 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

No one recently bought a corolla then?
Bought a new Corolla Conquest automatic in November.
Approx AUD 24500
Old Mar 19th 2005, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by renth

In NSW it was recently made illegal but very hard to prove. I won't touch a real estate auction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.