Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

corio near city of geelong

corio near city of geelong

Old Oct 7th 2006, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Default corio near city of geelong

Does anyone live in or near Corio ? can you tell me what the area is like and how far from the coast this is ?
thank you
Old Oct 7th 2006, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: corio near city of geelong

I don't live in Corio, but I used to work there at the oil refinery.

It is very close to the water, but unfortunately a huge oil refinery, port, wood chipping, salt extraction plant and other industries block the view.

If you are looking to move there, I would suggest you think again....the houses are older style and all have sight line of the industry. It is a very cheap area for a good reason.
Ditto Norlane, North Geelong. I would not live in Corio for any amount of money....I used to commute from Melbourne each day.
Old Oct 7th 2006, 11:47 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelbug
Does anyone live in or near Corio ? can you tell me what the area is like and how far from the coast this is ?
thank you
I agree with Pomster, even coming from Romford it'll look rough
Old Oct 8th 2006, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
I don't live in Corio, but I used to work there at the oil refinery.

It is very close to the water, but unfortunately a huge oil refinery, port, wood chipping, salt extraction plant and other industries block the view.

If you are looking to move there, I would suggest you think again....the houses are older style and all have sight line of the industry. It is a very cheap area for a good reason.
Ditto Norlane, North Geelong. I would not live in Corio for any amount of money....I used to commute from Melbourne each day.
The real problem is not the age of the houses.....it's the fact that the government thought that it would be a fine location for "housing commission homes". These are like council houses, but seem to attract people who have very unfortunate lives.....the places are a bit like ghettos.

Geelong is an industrialised port city. As stated Corio is just inland from the Shell oil refinery which is located there primarily because of there being a port.

Agree, I would never, ever live there. I would rather live in a tent somewhere else.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:27 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

l did'nt like Geelong very much but theres lots of nice small towns along the coast nearby like Anglesea, Queencliff.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l did'nt like Geelong very much but theres lots of nice small towns along the coast nearby like Anglesea, Queencliff.

I meant Corio rather than Geelong.

Yes, our yacht is in Q'cliff, the whole family worked there on and off for 20 years.
Old Oct 8th 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of
Smile Re: corio near city of geelong

Originally Posted by fraser
I agree with Pomster, even coming from Romford it'll look rough
blimey, i'm looking to escape anywhere that looks rough! that's why we're leaving Romford!

thanks everyone for your replies! i did wonder why properties were quite so cheap there!
Old Oct 8th 2006, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

blimey, i'm looking to escape anywhere that looks rough! that's why we're leaving Romford!

thanks everyone for your replies! i did wonder why properties were quite so cheap there!

The local newspaper is The Geelong Advertiser (known as "The Addy")

www.geelonginfo.com
Old Oct 8th 2006, 10:40 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm from Barkingside, so just down the road from you
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm from Barkingside, so just down the road from you
ill comiserate rather than congratulate you on that one! the hammers logo did give it away slightly that you were from around my neck of the woods!
My partner is a Hammers fan too.
Where are you hoping to relocate to? our main interest at the moment is Tasmania but we are open to other options hence my search for cheap property area's.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 7:09 am

ill comiserate rather than congratulate you on that one! the hammers logo did give it away slightly that you were from around my neck of the woods!
My partner is a Hammers fan too.
Where are you hoping to relocate to? our main interest at the moment is Tasmania but we are open to other options hence my search for cheap property area's.
We've been in Melbourne for 14 months.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Lara is much nicer than Corio.

There are also lots of nice places in country Vic, or around the end of Melbourne, which are much cheaper than the more usual spots.
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

We've been in Melbourne for 14 months.
how are you enjoying life in OZ ? if you dont mind me asking - whereabouts in Melbourne are you? do you have any kids? we have a 3 &half year old daughter and another child due early December so we're trying to find "family" orientated places to relocate to.
and seeing as you know the area - i would like to add that Romford is going downhill fast lately. A lot of building work going on - all the old council buildings have been sold off and are gradually turning into flats and apts - and you hear more Eastern European accents on the bus going to work everyday now than i had in my whole life so far!
Old Oct 9th 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pomster
Lara is much nicer than Corio.

There are also lots of nice places in country Vic, or around the end of Melbourne, which are much cheaper than the more usual spots.
thanks for your reply. i'll have a look at Lara. Sounds like a nice name for a town anyway! When we hopefully check out Tas next year we are planning on doing the same around Melbourne (seeing as we need to fly either there or Sydney to get to Tas anyway).
Old Oct 9th 2006, 10:07 pm

how are you enjoying life in OZ ? if you dont mind me asking - whereabouts in Melbourne are you? do you have any kids? we have a 3 &half year old daughter and another child due early December so we're trying to find "family" orientated places to relocate to.
and seeing as you know the area - i would like to add that Romford is going downhill fast lately. A lot of building work going on - all the old council buildings have been sold off and are gradually turning into flats and apts - and you hear more Eastern European accents on the bus going to work everyday now than i had in my whole life so far!
We like it, but I came here as a plumber and the work thing hasn't been good, now doing casual whenever I can get it.

Not all bad though as we own our house mortgage free.

We're in Point Cook which is a new area about 20 minutes from the city, nice estates but not a lot around here and we'll probably move sooner rather than later.

We have two boys 5 and 3 and they both love it.

Whem are you thinking about coming over to Melbourne, anything you need to know don't hesitate to ask.

Us hammers have to stick together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.