>
    >
    >
http://www.nyx.net/~cmacbrid
    >
    >
    >

"Speed kills" is, in my opinion, an oversimplification. While I don't have the
statistics to back my assertion up, I believe the vast majority of road fatalities
are the result of human error - drivers who misread conditions or overestimate
their abilities, people who are inattentive, inconsiderate or reckless. (There are
undoubtably a few incidents every year that result from totally random mechanical
failures, although often when the vehicle is at fault it is indicative of a failure
to properly maintain the vehicle.) What speed does do is magnify the effect of
these errors.

The reason there are relatively few fatalities on European motorways is that all of
the vehicles in any given traffic stream are doing about the same speed. When
switching between streams, drivers are generally aware of the risk and make
allowances. When they don't make allowances, the results are horrendous.
Coincidentally, the same situation applies here - we would be killing many more
people on our freeways if most vehicles weren't doing about the same speed. If you
introduce a vehicle into the stream at a speed of 20 or 30 (or more) km/h different
speed, that ruins the entire equation. And yes, doing 30km under the speed of the
surrounding traffic is just about as dangerous.

If you get busted for speeding, it's because you were breaking the law. Compliance
with the law is one of the conditions applied to the granting of a driver's licence.
If you want to argue about whether you were justified, take it up with the
magistrate. The cops are there to uphold the law. Maybe if there weren't so many
drivers who need to be bullied into complying with the law on the road then we could
have a few more cops redeployed in the protection of property.

Dave Campbell

Old Dec 13th 2001, 8:47 am
Craig Macbride

>
    >
    >
    >

Exactly. I read an article by an ambulance driver quite some years back which
mentioned not only this, but the tendency for the police to simply attribute any
collision which had no other simple cause to speed.

>
    >

I disagree somewhat. Trucks are generally limited to 100 km/h or less. Cars are doing
130 km/h in most places. In Germany, on some autobahns, trucks will be doing 90 km/h,
cars one lane over will be doing 150 km/h and cars in the fast lane will be doing 180
km/h. ... Vastly more variation than is common in Australia.

>
    >

This is true. Drivers in Germany stay in the slow lane unless they wish to overtake,
they indicate and look before pulling out, and they get back into the slow lane
immediately they aren't overtaking anyone.

>
    >

Only when people are careless and are fed this mindless BS about speed being all that
matters. Just as people with ABS drive closer and more dangerously because they think
the car will save them, it's easy to see many examples every day of drivers who think
that so long as they are sitting on the speed limit, they are driving safely.

It's been illegal for some time to sit in the right lane on freeways when not
overtaking anyone, yet the cops never do anything about it, same as they seldom do
anything about anything else, except speeding and drink driving.

>
    >
    >

If the speed limits were set sensibly, there wouldn't be so many drivers who need to
be bullied into complying with the law.

--
Craig Macbride <[email protected]> http://www.nyx.net/~cmacbrid "Computer
games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be
running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to
repetitive electronic music." - Ross Allen, Nintendo, 1989

Old Dec 13th 2001, 7:05 pm
Walter Caremans

hi guys you are talking about the speed in Germany. i think you never been in Germany
on the moterways. it is not always thru taht the drivers go back to the right soon as
possible. &nd there is a speed difference from sometimes more than 50 km/h and no not
everyone is taking a look over his shoulder before taking over. trucks are allowed to
do 80km/h and on about max 50% off the Autobahn there is no speed limit for cars. and
there are many accidents every year because the drive to fast in bad weather
conditions. one thing is sure i drove a care in the most europeen countrys and in
Australia ( 8 weeks ) and for me the safest place to drive is ....... yes down under.
Walter from Belgium

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> >"Speed kills" is, in my opinion, an oversimplification. While I don't[/usenetquote2]
have
[usenetquote2]> >the statistics to back my assertion up, I believe the vast majority of[/usenetquote2]
road
[usenetquote2]> >fatalities are the result of human error - drivers who misread conditions[/usenetquote2]
or
[usenetquote2]> >overestimate their abilities, people who are inattentive, inconsiderate[/usenetquote2]
or
[usenetquote2]> >reckless.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >The reason there are relatively few fatalities on European motorways is[/usenetquote2]
that
[usenetquote2]> >all of the vehicles in any given traffic stream are doing about the same speed.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
Cars
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >When switching between streams, drivers are generally aware of the risk and make[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >allowances.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
into
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >Coincidentally, the same situation applies here - we would be killing many more[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >people on our freeways if most vehicles weren't doing about the same speed.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
being
    >
dangerously
    >
    >
speed
    >
    >
    >
    >
they
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >Maybe if there weren't so many drivers who need to be bullied into complying[/usenetquote2]
with
[usenetquote2]> >the law on the road then we could have a few more cops redeployed in the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >protection of property.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
http://www.nyx.net/~cmacbrid
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 14th 2001, 8:20 am
Jim

I suspect that there are differences between the Australian freeways and the German
autobahns or the UK motorways. The o/s ones seem much straighter/smoother to me for a
start. Comments ?? Cheers Jim

Craig Macbride wrote:

>
    >
[usenetquote2]> >132kph is excessive anywhere!![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >