Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Coping Strategies for phobia

Coping Strategies for phobia

Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Catfucius will become famous soon enough
Default Coping Strategies for phobia

Being a lurker before posting ive noticed a few threads about the dreaded eight legged fear mongerer or is that mungerer ...

Ive seen a few in my time and just about coped as i had other people around but seen as though im planning on living in a place that is called 'home' by them I really want to know from those of you that are living in Australia now how you have managed/coped with overcoming that fear...! I cant stand the word ...Spider!!

Any tips would be most appreciated
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:05 am
Banned

tassietiger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Coping Strategies for phobia

Originally Posted by Catfucius
Being a lurker before posting ive noticed a few threads about the dreaded eight legged fear mongerer or is that mungerer ...

Ive seen a few in my time and just about coped as i had other people around but seen as though im planning on living in a place that is called 'home' by them I really want to know from those of you that are living in Australia now how you have managed/coped with overcoming that fear...! I cant stand the word ...Spider!!

Once you come across all the massive deadly snakes in OZ the spiders will seem totally harmless in comparison and you will lose your fear of them. When you have a massive huntsman spider crawling up your leg you will say thankgod its only a spider not a snake.

Last edited by tassietiger; Jul 8th 2008 at 8:37 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I also have a pretty bad phobia about them.

Have been over here for about 4 months now and haven't yet seen a really big one. Though there was a 'normal garden spider' near our front door that looked huge.

I'm trying to get over my fear by looking at images of the monsters on Google. Type in Huntsman and go to images...though I'm pretty sure if I did see one I'd be a screaming mess.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:38 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Catfucius

Hi Catfucious, I know where you're coming from as I'm off to Sydney on friday and that's the one thing that was giving me the sh!ts. Not sure where you live, but London zoo run a programme for arachnophobes.

http://www.zsl.org/zsl-london-zoo//n...ers,20,NS.html

I went on saturday and, although I was really sceptical beforehand, by the end I was picking up one of the biggies you get in the bath and letting it crawl over hands/arms and even holding a bird-eating one. I know you're probably thinking b#llocks - but I was the same before - and I think pretty much everybody who went managed the same - even those who were literally in tears at the beginning. The main aim of the afternoon was just to manage being able to catch and release with a cup/piece of card - and EVERYBODY could do this by the end - even it it was a little shakily.

It's a combo of education/discussion/hypnotherapy/group support/feeling in control - I still don't really understand why/how it worked but not worth overanalysing - I'm genuinely not bothered about them anymore.

Worth a try I reckon. Jay
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:41 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Perth. In the nearly 8 months we've been here, I've only seen a couple of tiny spiders. With legs they weren't bigger than the nail of my little finger.

Like you I dreaded them and even went on a special course at London Zoo to help with the phobia.

When we get to spring I intend on having the house sprayed to keep unwanted critters out.

Gina
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tassietiger
Once you come across all the massive deadly snakes in OZ the spiders will seem totally harmless in comparison and you will lose your fear of them. When you have a massive huntsman spider crawling up your leg you will say thankgod its only a spider not a snake.

Its weird cos snakes dont phase me much even though i know that Australia has some of the most deadliest snakes I just have this thing about the 'look' of a spider.. its so deep in my psyche ..I marvel at them (via documentarys and museums of course!) and yet crap my panties when one is near me! I know huntsman are pretty harmless and do a good job but boy they are one ugly mother fu**er
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
I also have a pretty bad phobia about them.

Have been over here for about 4 months now and haven't yet seen a really big one. Though there was a 'normal garden spider' near our front door that looked huge.

I'm trying to get over my fear by looking at images of the monsters on Google. Type in Huntsman and go to images...though I'm pretty sure if I did see one I'd be a screaming mess.
I cant work out how to multiquote!! doh!!

You sound like me!! ive looked at some u tube footage on here,did you see the one where those mad lads were putting the huntsman in their mouths! i actually felt sorry for the spider those lads looked well stoned

Do you do a reccie of the rooms when you walk in? can you put your hand into a draw/shoe/peg bag/wash tub without checking and double checking? does your heart start to pound when you think you seen something out of the corner of your eye? ok id better stop, just thinking about it gives me the heebee geebees ..
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Hi Catfucious, I know where you're coming from as I'm off to Sydney on friday and that's the one thing that was giving me the sh!ts. Not sure where you live, but London zoo run a programme for arachnophobes.

I went on saturday and, although I was really sceptical beforehand, by the end I was picking up one of the biggies you get in the bath and letting it crawl over hands/arms and even holding a bird-eating one. I know you're probably thinking b#llocks - but I was the same before - and I think pretty much everybody who went managed the same - even those who were literally in tears at the beginning. The main aim of the afternoon was just to manage being able to catch and release with a cup/piece of card - and EVERYBODY could do this by the end - even it it was a little shakily.

It's a combo of education/discussion/hypnotherapy/group support/feeling in control - I still don't really understand why/how it worked but not worth overanalysing - I'm genuinely not bothered about them anymore.

Worth a try I reckon. Jay
OH MY GOD Jay that sounds fantastic on the one hand and yet spine tingly sickening on the other!

did anyone faint!,, i cant remove the buggers, in fact i bought one of those stick things with brushes on the end to remove any from my house and my hand shakes lifting it up towards the critters ! i cant crush the things either! so im caught between a rock and a hard place..but i will bookmark what you said cos i know for sure i will need all the help i can get , thanks for mentioning it

hey jay what did the guy say in this bit......The session begins with an explanation, by hypnotherapist John Clifford, of how phobias can become established,...id love to know how these ideas get formed..

Last edited by Catfucius; Jul 8th 2008 at 9:05 am. Reason: to ask a question!
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

The Randalls will become famous soon enough

I have / had quite a big fear of spiders...
The firm where I work has a Christmas party for staff members children, and one of the ''attractions'' is a pet's corner..
usual snakes, tarantula's, lizards and what have you ..
So I took the bull by the horns and said quick pass me that tarantula before I change my mind!!
Legs were like jelly for quite a long time afterwards, but I did it..
Still don't like the bu**ers much, but it did help me I'm sure..
She was a very pretty pink-toed tarantula
Not the most flattering pic of moi, but the spider looks ok

Last edited by Sue; Jul 9th 2008 at 12:56 pm. Reason: Pic removed at request of OP
Old Jul 8th 2008, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

your eyes say it all

Your a braver woman than I
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi catfucious - absolutely love your name and signature.

Can't help with the phobia unfortunately. I do understand phobias as I have a really bad one (not spiders) and I honestly don't think I could ever overcome it but it is nothing like spiders, which to me are lovely in comparison. However, with phobias, it's each to his own so I would say some who are replying here about spider phobias and overcoming it by exposure I take my hat off to

I shudder when I see spiders although we live in rainforest so have to accept there are loads of them and other things around here.

Had to get my husband to evict a rather large but very handsome huntsman from our bedroom last night which I noticed just as I was going to bed. Had it been elsewhere in the house, I wouldn't have minded, but I do have a thing about them hanging around my bed. I know they don't want to get anywhere near me, but still. Anyway, the poor thing was really miffed when it was deposited on the veranda in the pouring rain late at night. At least it was spared and was alive!!! Can't bear to kill them. I reckon a day of controlled exposure as some have done is the way to go. Even if it just means you can evict them from your house without harming them and you keep your sanity, it would be worth it.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kitty4
Hi catfucious - absolutely love your name and signature.

Can't help with the phobia unfortunately. I do understand phobias as I have a really bad one (not spiders) and I honestly don't think I could ever overcome it but it is nothing like spiders, which to me are lovely in comparison. However, with phobias, it's each to his own so I would say some who are replying here about spider phobias and overcoming it by exposure I take my hat off to

I shudder when I see spiders although we live in rainforest so have to accept there are loads of them and other things around here.

Had to get my husband to evict a rather large but very handsome huntsman from our bedroom last night which I noticed just as I was going to bed. Had it been elsewhere in the house, I wouldn't have minded, but I do have a thing about them hanging around my bed. I know they don't want to get anywhere near me, but still. Anyway, the poor thing was really miffed when it was deposited on the veranda in the pouring rain late at night. At least it was spared and was alive!!! Can't bear to kill them. I reckon a day of controlled exposure as some have done is the way to go. Even if it just means you can evict them from your house without harming them and you keep your sanity, it would be worth it.
Hiya . thanks for the compliment on my Cat siggy,,I would like to think that because i Love cats so much that i see something of myself in them but unfortnately unlike my real life cat i dont chase spiders for fun and throw them around in some erotic game of kiss chase!! aarrgghh....you know my skin crawls and my kitty does that...

There is some good advice on here and i will seriously take it on board cos i dont want it to 'overcome me'..if you know what i mean
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

sandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to allsandav is a name known to all

We have been here since January and in that time I have seen 2 red backs, 1 huntsman outside the front door of rental and about 4 white tips. I hate spiders as well just typing that my stomach is in my throat. But I just ignore them or run a mile. I haven't seen any snakes yet another thing I dread seen and the dreaded daughter keeps bringing me through areas near the beach where the snake signs are. She thinks its funny.
Sandra
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sandav
We have been here since January and in that time I have seen 2 red backs, 1 huntsman outside the front door of rental and about 4 white tips. I hate spiders as well just typing that my stomach is in my throat. But I just ignore them or run a mile. I haven't seen any snakes yet another thing I dread seen and the dreaded daughter keeps bringing me through areas near the beach where the snake signs are. She thinks its funny.
Sandra

hi i cant ignore the suckers but i can run ..it sounds like a shopping list of spiders . i remember paying a visit to oz and i kept a tally just for curiousity sake,,..the tally came to 7 in the space of month, (in one of my visits)big beauties out in the country, they used to love to sit on the fly screen door or in the hallway...
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:45 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MTPockets
Not sure where you live, but London zoo run a programme for arachnophobes.
The main aim of the afternoon was just to manage being able to catch and release with a cup/piece of card - and EVERYBODY could do this by the end - even it it was a little shakily.

Snap! Yes, that's the course I went on as well. Got the certificate and the photo . Like you, not bothered by them anymore. Well, if a huntsman jumped out at me I might still jump. Very helpful course.

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.