Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Copied CD's for can you take them???

Copied CD's for can you take them???

Old Dec 7th 2004, 3:45 pm
ad4ozz

Default Copied CD's for can you take them???

Copied CD’s bought over the years from Car Boot Sales for personal use only no illegal activity intended….can you take them to Oz???

Or, are customs only funny about them as well?

Old Dec 7th 2004, 11:40 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Copied CD's for can you take them???

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
Copied CD’s bought over the years from Car Boot Sales for personal use only no illegal activity intended….can you take them to Oz???

Or, are customs only funny about them as well?
They are back ups for your own personal use aren't they. And so happens your originals did get destroyed. So it's lucky you had the common sense to make back ups of your original CDs

I can't see why they would be seized unless you are smuggling in containers full of millions of pirates intended for the black market , mine never are.

I brought copies ( computer mostly, but also some music cds) into Aus initially when I first arrived, and also usually have them in luggage when I make trips throughout the years, bought copies from Asia . I have received the odd copy in the post from family in the UK, computer ( most of my parcels I recieve are opened by customs. I can't remember when I last received an overseas parcel that wasn't opened/checked by them) .

I think the customs have better things to deal with than seizing the odd pirate of an old CD (S) in the "little man's " luggage. They'd be swamped with the things if this was the case ( you watch now , you'll have some clever s*d saying they know a man and his dog who's cds were nabbed by customs)

I wouldn't worry about it. In the very unlikely event they do get seized and destroyed , so what. They are just old used copies ( and back ups ) and obviously not for the purpose of selling on the black market. I've never had any probs over the years with bringing, and recieving copies/back ups into Aus.

cheers
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:00 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

In Australia I believe you cannot have backups for your own personal use unless stated on the license agreement. As ceri says customs would not give a stuff though. They are primarily interested in the evil aged smugglers of fine meats and cheeses followed by drug smugglers.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bondipom
In Australia I believe you cannot have backups for your own personal use unless stated on the license agreement. As ceri says customs would not give a stuff though. They are primarily interested in the evil aged smugglers of fine meats and cheeses followed by drug smugglers.
And daffodil bulbs ( bl**dy mum in law lol)
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

It's very common for Australian's to go over to Thailand and bring back copies of just about anything (from software, dvd's, cd's, to Louis Vutton handbags and Polo shirts...). I think they just turn a blind eye, as long as you aren't kitted to the eyeballs looking to sell it,
Old Dec 8th 2004, 12:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
It's very common for Australian's to go over to Thailand and bring back copies of just about anything (from software, dvd's, cd's, to Louis Vutton handbags and Polo shirts...). I think they just turn a blind eye, as long as you aren't kitted to the eyeballs looking to sell it,
I brought loads of MP3 CDs over, no problem.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:02 am
Very happy member !!!

bubcay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shellfish

Brought a bunch of copies myself - not a blink of an eye of the customs officer ! No worries !!!

By the way... Been to the Sydney's Paddy's markets the other day... Filled with fake CK, Louis Vutton... (you name it) stuff. Nobody seems to care ???
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Most bootsale/markets usually have copies here.

If customs are interested in all copies coming into the country they would have a field day with my luggage , I would have been nabbed a long time ago

I don't think they are interested in the average Joe who has copied cds and fake T-shirts, watches etc , only the dealers who ship them in by the ton.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 8:17 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

what about copied dvds?

how would you take them? in the container or in the luggage?
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Willow is an unknown quantity at this point

im posting our DVD'S and CD'S to perth so i got more room for my cloths or then again i might just go shopping when i get perth and land in my bithday suit would customs let me in *wonders* then again would thay let me out off brit thay probly be glad to get rid of at least one lunatic
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:40 pm
I AM 1 PERSON-UNDERSTAND?

SherKhan66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Willow
im posting our DVD'S and CD'S to perth so i got more room for my cloths or then again i might just go shopping when i get perth and land in my bithday suit would customs let me in *wonders* then again would thay let me out off brit thay probly be glad to get rid of at least one lunatic
Respect to you! ha! Are you that miss /mr troll?
Can I just say here that if you're bringing into Oz 100 copies of the latest U2 album on cd-r then they probably wouldn't notice.... but they should do!!
However, if you bring in a copied pine cone? Well, you'll get away with that because it's NOT real is it?
Isn't life strange?!
Old Dec 8th 2004, 1:47 pm
Cheeky

Good one Willow!!

This way they maybe otherwise 'distracted!' Lol!

Be a bit cold at this side of the planet though..... I suppose you could wear a bikini!! keep a bit warmer until you land and youll still have the desired effect!

Cheeky

Originally Posted by Willow

Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:13 pm
ad4ozz

Talking Re: Copied CD's for can you take them???

Maybe if I write pine cone on all my back up cd's i'll be alright... .

Would only be bringing mixed albums dvd's for personal use nothing dodgy....but have heard Ozz TV can be crap so seems a shame to leave... as have heard it rains in Brisbane sometimes and need something to pass the time.

Old Dec 11th 2004, 2:55 pm
ad4ozz

Next door neighbour backing all his up on to ipod to take as worried re copies.

Old Dec 11th 2004, 3:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this will help reassure anyone, but I sent a box of last-minute stuff by airfreight, collected it from Brisbane airport, and you actually take it round yourself for a Customs/Aqis inspection. The Customs guy wanted a list of contents, I just wrote CDs (amongst other things) and he didn't ask anything. Then the box went to AQIS - they open it and inspect it; she could see I had CDS with writing rather than proper covers, but was not interested.
I would imagine if you bring in boxloads, you may raise more suspicion, but to be honest these guys are only interested in major copying (and onward sale) or in stuff that is a threat ot Oz - wood, plants etc.
A few personal dvd/cd copies - no, they have bigger fish to fry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.