Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

for the cooks amongst ya!!

for the cooks amongst ya!!

Old May 9th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default for the cooks amongst ya!!

Wanted to try making a lemon mousse, and it had fromage frais in it....could I find it in Woolworths, could I heck.. none of the staff even knew what I was talking about...anyone know where I could get it??

(I start all the exciting threads!!)
Old May 9th 2005, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

achish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: for the cooks amongst ya!!

Originally Posted by logan
Wanted to try making a lemon mousse, and it had fromage frais in it....could I find it in Woolworths, could I heck.. none of the staff even knew what I was talking about...anyone know where I could get it??

It's there. Did you look in the fridge? Nestle have them. They have been around for years and years.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by achish
It's there. Did you look in the fridge? Nestle have them. They have been around for years and years.
Actually, Mr Logan was sent on the mission as I did some of the other shopping, so I'm blaming him!! But it's the plain fromage frais I'm looking for..not petit filous stuff, is that what you meant? I did look in the yogurts and the cream section.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

achish is on a distinguished road

Actually, Mr Logan was sent on the mission as I did some of the other shopping, so I'm blaming him!! But it's the plain fromage frais I'm looking for..not petit filous stuff, is that what you meant? I did look in the yogurts and the cream section.
By plain do you mean vanilla as I know that's there. It's usually in tubs of two. Yeah...it's usually around the yoghurts & custards etc.
Old May 9th 2005, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by achish
By plain do you mean vanilla as I know that's there. It's usually in tubs of two. Yeah...it's usually around the yoghurts & custards etc.
Mmmm not sure if it's vanilla. just 'plain' But thank you, as noone else obviously uses the stuff when cooking. Neither do I normally right enough, but this recipe needs it, and in the uk there's like at least 4 different brands!!
Old May 9th 2005, 11:06 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

You can sometimes get it in Coles in my suburb - but I'm in Perth so thats not probably very useful for you.

Coles doesnt always have it, Its a very hit and miss product, but when they dont I find for savoury recipes a mix of sour cream and pot set yogurt works well. For deserts and sweet recipes I normally use a mix of cream cheese, yougurt and a wee bit of milk and blend it up before adding to the recipe. Works well for me but I dont cook deserts very often so not sure if that would work in your lemon mousse.
Old May 9th 2005, 11:09 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Just done a quick search on the Coles website - I'm bored, hubbie is hogging the tele and Law & Order is on ... They don't seem to do just the plain.

Still, could always substitute mascapone. If the fat content aint an issue.

GG

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
You can sometimes get it in Coles in my suburb - but I'm in Perth so thats not probably very useful for you.

Coles doesnt always have it, Its a very hit and miss product, but when they dont I find for savoury recipes a mix of sour cream and pot set yogurt works well. For deserts and sweet recipes I normally use a mix of cream cheese, yougurt and a wee bit of milk and blend it up before adding to the recipe. Works well for me but I dont cook deserts very often so not sure if that would work in your lemon mousse.
Old May 9th 2005, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Geordie George and Vegemite Kids. I'm still learning in the kitchen, and trying to increase my repatoire!!! So all help and suggestions much appreciated. I will try in Coles, have only tried Woolworths.
Old May 9th 2005, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

Can't wait to get back to OZ for the copha! Chocolate Crackles here I come!