British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   cooking apples?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cooking-apples-522834/)

bushy Mar 19th 2008 12:47 am

cooking apples??

Has anyone found a decent cooking apple for making pies,crumble etc? I can't find anything anywhere near the good old english Bramley! I'm no Delia but I do like to make something for afters on a Sunday!:D

jayr Mar 19th 2008 12:54 am

Re: cooking apples??

Originally Posted by bushy (Post 6081911)
Has anyone found a decent cooking apple for making pies,crumble etc? I can't find anything anywhere near the good old english Bramley! I'm no Delia but I do like to make something for afters on a Sunday!:D

You may have to make do with Granny Smith, they are widely available

Rudi Mar 19th 2008 2:09 am

They think you are completely bonkers in the supermarket when you ask for cooking apples!! As has been mentioned, you could use Granny Smiths, but I find they don't break down very well. I have found using tinned (I would NEVER have used tins in the UK!!!) apples the best option.

Rudi :wub:
xxx

bushy Mar 19th 2008 2:19 am

You're right Rudi,tins were always a no-no!! but I'll give it a go and see what hubby thinks...he does like his apple crumble!!:D

Rudi Mar 19th 2008 2:23 am

Originally Posted by bushy (Post 6082207)
You're right Rudi,tins were always a no-no!! but I'll give it a go and see what hubby thinks...he does like his apple crumble!!:D

We had rhubarb crumble on the weekend! Fresh from my sister's garden!

Gems Mar 19th 2008 5:15 am

Yes, Ive noticed no cooking apples to make my apple crumble.

Our local Coles has a cooking mag and says to use 'Gala' apples.

Hmm kids are getting desperate for apple crumble so may have to give Gala a shot.

GEMS

bushy Mar 19th 2008 6:38 am

Don't do it!!!! Think I've seen the same leaflet and I tried using Gala apples and the crumble was awful,they just didn't work at all.:thumbdown:

cresta57 Mar 19th 2008 8:02 am

We've tried them all & now use tinned apple. it's the best of a bad lot:(

OzSheila Mar 19th 2008 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Rudi (Post 6082178)
I have found using tinned (I would NEVER have used tins in the UK!!!) apples the best option.

Rudi :wub:
xxx

Years ago tinned apples were actually chokoes - don't know whether they still are.

moneypenny20 Mar 19th 2008 11:14 am

Granny Smiths worked ok for me, just changed the cooking times slightly.

Grayling Mar 19th 2008 11:22 am

I often make an apple and wild fruit pie.....with Bramleys, Blackberries, raspberries etc.

Looks like I am going to have to find quite a few substitutes.

G

moneypenny20 Mar 19th 2008 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 6083854)
I often make an apple and wild fruit pie.....with Bramleys, Blackberries, raspberries etc.

Looks like I am going to have to find quite a few substitutes.

G

Raspberries will be fine, providing they're in season of course ;) Blackberries? not sure about them. Oh and don't you go trying to secrete some Bramleys in your socks when you come over :rofl:

Grayling Mar 19th 2008 11:37 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6083907)
Raspberries will be fine, providing they're in season of course ;) Blackberries? not sure about them. Oh and don't you go trying to secrete some Bramleys in your socks when you come over :rofl:

My socks will be full of fishing tackle:D

G

moneypenny20 Mar 19th 2008 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 6083922)
My socks will be full of fishing tackle:D

G

ouch :lol:

shiels Mar 19th 2008 12:23 pm

Granny Smiths work ok, but apparently, according to the man in woolies, they are currently out of season :ohmy: C x