Cookers/ovens

Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Cookers/ovens

Hope you do not think this is a stupid question but can electric or Gas cookers from the UK be used in OZ.

If not are the very large 1000mm - 1200mm range ovens available over there ?

Its not that I do any cooking I just like the look of them !!!!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 3:56 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cookers/ovens

Originally posted by jwinch
Gas cookers from the UK be used in OZ.
No I'm afraid they are banned its bbq or salads

No but seriously I'm sure there were some threads on this a few weeks back. Check out the archives
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Don't know the answer but why would you want to ship them as all houses rented or sold MUST have cooker installed, as out here it is considered part of the house, and every house I've live in or been in it has been built in.

Don't think I've ever seen any freestanding cookers even in Electrical showrooms like you get in the UK.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:29 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Is that anything to do with the Aussie paranoia about people doing their own electrics? I'm sure if they frown on you changing your own plugs, they won't give you the chance to wire in a cooker.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:32 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Don't know the answer but why would you want to ship them as all houses rented or sold MUST have cooker installed, as out here it is considered part of the house, and every house I've live in or been in it has been built in.

Don't think I've ever seen any freestanding cookers even in Electrical showrooms like you get in the UK.
how do you replace a broken/unwanted cooker?

Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by welshboybilly
how do you replace a broken/unwanted cooker?
Most cooker here gas or electric are built in jobs, so just go to the shop pick the one you like and get a lecky to fit it for you. I'd assume they come in standard sizes and your replacement would be the same size unless you are redoing the kitchen then take your pick.

I suppose you could DIY but risk of burning house down would put me off that particular job, if I got it wrong.:scared: :scared:
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:49 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally posted by Kiwipaul

I've seen lots of free-standing cookers in the shops, but as you say, the cooker comes with the house so there's no point bringing one over. Also, you might not find a place with gas or it might be bottled gas.
Old Sep 18th 2003, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Well if you want my advice........take it with you

We have a stainless steel range jobby and looking on the manufacturers website they are available in Australia ( priced at $1500+) :scared: :scared:

and if you're gonna get a place built you'd have to buy one anyway

KiwiPaul,,,,,,,,,this house came with a cooker and I would not even boil water on it !!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn’t bring either gas or electric cookers from the UK for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, you will probably invalidate your building and contents insurance in the event of a fire, as it would not comply to Oz standards. In the event of a loss adjuster investigating a claim (even if the appliance was not the cause), you can expect them to pick up on this as evidence that you did not maintain your home to an acceptable standard. You have to decide if you think that is an acceptable risk to take.

Secondly, you will struggle to get a tradesman to touch it with a proverbial bargepole.

As an aside, not an expert in gas, but they use natural gas in the UK don’t they?. Is that the same as in Oz? I remember years ago in the UK gas appliances having to be changed to use natural gas.