Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Convincing people and "Settling in" advice needed

Convincing people and "Settling in" advice needed

Old Sep 19th 2003, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question Convincing people and "Settling in" advice needed

Hi Everyone
Received some really helpful information from Alan Collett on moving to Victoria only thing though, it looks at the moment my wife is going to need some convincing I was just wondering is there any where I can get some information to put her mind at rest, that we will not be alone and that the community as far as I believe helps out as much as it can.

She seems to feel that we will be outcasts because we are poms, I know this is not true but she still worries about herself and our 3 kids (ages 3,5,10) settling.
I think the big point for my wife is telling her mum and dad as they are'nt the most open minded people you could meet and also how do the chlidren settle in schools etc.
The 2 favourite's to move to at the moment, are Geelong or the Dandenong areas
Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Convincing people and "Settling in" advice needed

Originally posted by Dicko
Hi Everyone
Received some really helpful information from Alan Collett on moving to Victoria only thing though, it looks at the moment my wife is going to need some convincing I was just wondering is there any where I can get some information to put her mind at rest, that we will not be alone and that the community as far as I believe helps out as much as it can.

She seems to feel that we will be outcasts because we are poms, I know this is not true but she still worries about herself and our 3 kids (ages 3,5,10) settling.
I think the big point for my wife is telling her mum and dad as they are'nt the most open minded people you could meet and also how do the chlidren settle in schools etc.
I think your wifes trying to tell you she does not want to go. With 3 young kids, perhaps she feels family are very important to her? Women feel this a lot stronger than men.

Have you taken her to OZ?, does she know if it might be for her?

You already know its not the outcast thing, shes trying to tell you she does not want to go. Both partners need to want to do it not just one, my only suggestion would be take her to OZ, it may just be wonderful enough to convince her?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:44 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
I think your wifes trying to tell you she does not want to go.
Could be the reason. Absolutley no denying that. But I know I my wife and I, and a lot of other people on this forum expect that the aspect of building an entirely new social circle is a bit daunting. I worry about my two children 6 and 9 but I think they will adapt ok. In general I have found kids can make friends a lot quicker than adults (I know there are exceptions)

But we intend to try our hardest to make it work (Though I will have to draw a very strong line over tupperware parties) and in many ways relish doing new and different things. Getting involved in more social aspects. I am also intending on getting into scuba diving and see this as one great way of meeting people.

I think you need to look at the lifestyle changes available to you and make a decision whether your entire family will like it. We have and we think we can.

I would also stongly suggest you take Dottys advice and "try before you buy".

Also we have met lots of people on the forum, many of whom hopefully we will stay in touch with

Anyway thats my 10c worth (I've started the currency conversion already )

Melbourne here we come
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:12 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Dicko
Hi Everyone

Are you convinced?
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

last night was our "final" goodbye drink - we fly tomorrow (heathrow 11.30 to los angeles - anyone else going to be there?)
we realised what alot of really good friends we have, they all wish us well but it was very sad all the same.
however, we're both sociable types and are not worried about this. we have to be each others best friend now and have an open mind about what is ahead. we hope friends and family will visit when they can, lots say they will, how true that is we will find out.
last night we had some allies. a couple soon on their way to adelaide who know just what we have been through and what they have to come too.
one of the worst things just before you go will be the cards you receive! more than we have ever had at any christmas or birthday, and these are things which you really don't want to throw away so i am making a large parcel and sending it on to my brother in sydney right this minute. we will be there next sunday. the parcel contains all the rest of the paperwork which weighs heavy in the luggage allowance.
now hope everything goes to plan, we are staying in a hotel tonight in slough with my sister and husband ready for tomorrow, expect we will have a few last minute visitors today. just hope we get completion on our house soon!!! it is hoped to be 29th september but we shall see, solicitor dealing with all that, he will send proceeds to halewood (hifx) who we are using for the transfer.
will keep you all informed whilst on our journey.
karen
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Do you live anywhere near any of the ex pats meetings (do a forum search and you will find them) They are quite a laugh and it enables you to talk Oz for ages without feeling uneasy. You also get to meet other people who are going to the same places as you. I have met a few people from off here and i know that we will remain friends on the otherside!
I hope i'm not treading on any toes here, but i would steer clear of Dandenong, has not got a very good reputation...........
Old Sep 20th 2003, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Take the lead dicko and make the decision. Tell her that if it dosnt work out youll go back home and, as someone else on this forum said "treat it like an adventure". Lifes to Live aint it.
Ps If youre the friendly sort, and most poms are, youll never be treated as an outcast.