Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Conviction Advice

Conviction Advice

Old May 18th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

glasgowceltic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Conviction Advice

Hoping to migrate to Australia next year, saving every penny currently at the moment, however i have a possible conviction soon for BREACH OF THE PEACE, ie drunk and disorderly, silly me, 29 years old and completley out of charachter but nevertheless it may stick. If so, will it harm my chances of obtaining a student visa, any advice will be really appreciated and hopefully ease my current worries
Old May 20th 2008, 1:36 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conviction Advice

Generally, only custodial sentences of about 12 months or more are enough to deny a visa (depends though on type of crime etc ). Your Breach of the Peace is unlkely to cause you any problems - but you MUST declare it. If you didn't and got found out, you would be guilty of visa fraud and your visa would be cancelled. I'm not suggesting that you'd do this, but I just want to point out that it's far better to declare something that is unlikely to harm your chances.

Best of luck!
Old May 20th 2008, 1:46 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Drunk and disorderly ? I would have thought that would be a bonus on the application!

Seriously I doubt it will affect your app, but I agree that you must declare it.
Old May 21st 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

glasgowceltic is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the advice mate, it's what i wanted to hear.
Old May 21st 2008, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

I had a mate who came over with a similar "minor" conviction a few years ago and it proved to be ok - be open about it, out of character etc.

As a Rangers fan I'm obviously resisting the temptation to make a comment !

Good luck with the move. Hope it works out.
Old May 21st 2008, 5:26 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I had a mate who came over with a similar "minor" conviction a few years ago and it proved to be ok - be open about it, out of character etc.

As a Rangers fan I'm obviously resisting the temptation to make a comment !

Good luck with the move. Hope it works out.
You must have the will power of a saint
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You must have the will power of a saint
You have no idea how difficult it was to post without at least a wee comment !