Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Converting Aussie salary to British pounds

Converting Aussie salary to British pounds

Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Mike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura aboutMike 3G has a spectacular aura about
Default Converting Aussie salary to British pounds

Yes I know not simple and its certainly wise to avoid using the current exchange rate.

The reason I ask is a former work mate is considering an offer from an Aussie employer, the salary is $90K. My advice to him is to divide by 2.2 and ignore the current FX rate using this method would have him on a UK salary of 41K. He can then decide if he could live on that salary in the UK and apply that logic to Australia's living expenses as I feel there is little difference overall.

So what do you reckon am I in the ball park in terms of how much to divide by?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:10 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Converting Aussie salary to British pounds

Originally Posted by Mike 3G
Yes I know not simple and its certainly wise to avoid using the current exchange rate.

The reason I ask is a former work mate is considering an offer from an Aussie employer, the salary is $90K. My advice to him is to divide by 2.2 and ignore the current FX rate using this method would have him on a UK salary of 41K. He can then decide if he could live on that salary in the UK and apply that logic to Australia's living expenses as I feel there is little difference overall.

$90k is about 1.5 times the Australian Adult F/T median wage
£41k is also about 1.5 times the UK Adult F/T median wage

Therefore your 2.2 does seem about ball park.

Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:13 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

To be annoying though I would also argue that it is more expensive to live in Australia.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
To be annoying though I would also argue that it is more expensive to live in Australia.
Some say it is, some say it isn't

Currently the ratio is similar to the General Election count, almost 50-50

Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike 3G

It depends where the 90K is. In a major city you won't be living like a king. If, however, it's somewhere more rural and house prices/rents are cheaper then it's going to stretch much further.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:44 am
Just Joined

kaishang is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2.2 exchange rate and also the 1.5 multipler on average salary seems like a good number to work with for me.

However I'd also take into account:
- house/apartment prices in outer suburbs may be similar but rents are cheaper in UK
- inner city real estate prices are higher in UK
- supermarket food is cheaper in UK
- cars are overpriced in Australia

The personal circumstances eg renting/buying will also come into it in the short term. But the 2.2 exchange rate/1.5 multipler is a good long term number to work with.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Aussie employer in Sydney CBD or Ballarat?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'd never convert it and work out what things cost in Australia and what percentage of the income they are compared to the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:49 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

2.2 sounds about right.

If he's coming from London or the SE then you could go with 2.0. If he's coming from elsewhere you might go with 2.4
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'd never convert it and work out what things cost in Australia and what percentage of the income they are compared to the UK.
You would if you were in the UK now and contemplating the move
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'd agree with this , i'd also ask him even if it did work out to be a slight drop - he will always be gaining the obvious areas of lifestyle that he must be wanting by contemplating the move in the first place -
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Mike - sounds like you know your stuff. 2.2 is about right. I'd probably say even higher as Centurion says - 2.5-3 as Oz is dear but at least you're being realistic.

Anyone that says Oz is the same price wise as the uk either lives in Kensington or came over years ago when maybe that was the case. We came over 4 months ago and it is more expensive. Your pal will see so best he's prepared. Standard of living is higher though so its worth it
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Converting Aussie salary to British pounds

Originally Posted by Davesax
I'd agree with this , i'd also ask him even if it did work out to be a slight drop - he will always be gaining the obvious areas of lifestyle that he must be wanting by contemplating the move in the first place -
Yes but what many people fail to appreciate is that many aspects of lifestyle have to be paid for.

BB
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes but what many people fail to appreciate is that many aspects of lifestyle have to be paid for.

BB
The sun is free baby
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:54 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well, it's a long time since I lived in the UK, but my experience going back for visits (last was in 2006) was:

Petrol costs in pounds what it costs in dollars in Australia
Restaurant/pub meals are more expensive in UK
Housing is more expensive in UK - we sold my father's house (3 bed detached just outside Maidstone) for the then equivalent of $900,000 which would have bought two similar sized houses in Brisbane at the time.

Ok, back then the A$ was worth about 40p, not the 57p it's worth today, and things may have changed. We're due to go back again next year and it will be interesting to see the changes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.