Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Conversion Rates?

Conversion Rates?

Old Jan 2nd 2008, 8:33 am
KLF
What Time is Love

KLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to beholdKLF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Conversion Rates?

Originally Posted by Big Galah
No it's not, Australia is one country with 6 states and TWO territories. tsk tsk, I hope you don't have to take the citizenship test any time soon...
Originally Posted by JAJ
There are in fact 10 territories of Australia, 3 on the mainland (don't forget the Jervis Bay Territory which split from the ACT in 1989) and 7 external territories (eg Norfolk Island).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_...s_of_Australia
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:27 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Conversion Rates?

Originally Posted by Big Galah
No it's not, Australia is one country with 6 states and TWO territories. tsk tsk, I hope you don't have to take the citizenship test any time soon...
Thanks GOD! I got citizenship without the test otherwise I must be among the majority of people who are failing this test.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 11:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Thanks GOD! I got citizenship without the test otherwise I must be among the majority of people who are failing this test.
The majority of people are passing the test not failing.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:36 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
There are in fact 10 territories of Australia, 3 on the mainland (don't forget the Jervis Bay Territory which split from the ACT in 1989) and 7 external territories (eg Norfolk Island).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States_...s_of_Australia
Yikes.

Though that's being rather pedantic. My point was that the ACT (probably) was forgotten, which is a big-sized boo boo.

big big.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 9:40 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Freedom for The People's Republic Of Logan, we want independence and our own currency ... 1 Dollar = 2 Winfields.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

Australia is a lot bigger in size then UK.But why Australian Dollar is 2.5 times lower than British Pound?

Even Australian Dollar is lower than Canadian and USD$?Why?

Thanks
When the AU$ was created in 1966 the mint made it so that 2 dollars was equal to 1 Aussie pound**. As the British pound was equal to 1.25 Aussie pounds (or £1 5s) then the exchange rate was 2.5 at that time. Since then the rate has fluctuated up and down as the respective economies grew and shrank in relation to each other.

There is no link between the AU$ and the US$ or C$ so there's no reason why they should be the same. Similarly there is no link between the british pound and the turkish pound (aka Lira) or the egyptian pound. If the AU$ had been called the royal instead of the dollar it would not have been related to the Iranian rial or the brazilian real

** this is why the 20c coin looks like a florin, the 10c coin looks like a shilling, and the 5c coin looks like a six-pence. The 1c and 2c coins were newly minted at that time but the British did copy them to look like the new halfpence and new penny when they got round to decimalisation.