Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a conversation with a removalist(perth)

a conversation with a removalist(perth)

Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

aston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a conversation with a removalist(perth)

a good friend of mine has just gone back to ireland to cash in on the euro thing and buy a house cash...

whilst talking to the removalist he asked if he was busy,expecting the answer to be,slow....as he was a bricky and its certainly a bit slow for us...(but dont get the wrong end of the stick,i still dont know anyone not working)..flat out was the answer...

any way the removalist told him that a couple of years ago he was flat out doing 350 removals a week,300 of them being poms coming to perth,,,now he said there were 300 hundred a week going back..

true or false i dont know?

any comment?
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:23 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a conversation with a removalist(perth)

I have heard other people say similar things on different forums. There does seem to be a fairly large number heading back. Lets face it really, this country isnt Utopia, it is getting very expensive and many people are realising they aren't any better off apart from the weather... maybe.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by chris955
I have heard other people say similar things on different forums. There does seem to be a fairly large number heading back. Lets face it really, this country isnt Utopia, it is getting very expensive and many people are realising they aren't any better off apart from the weather... maybe.
i agree mate,it is very expensive..but i like to way up some of the good the bad and come up with the same answer as most....

its sunnier and the kids have a far better life....
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:52 pm
Banned

Fried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really niceFried Rice is just really nice

Its a great time to head back now, the exchange rate, falling property costs back home, feeling real poor in Oz......................Make's sense, the Oz dream has had its day for anyone with a family back home?

Good look to all heading back!
Old Aug 27th 2011, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to them I say.

Personally, I wouldn't go back for all the money in the world. (But then I don't live in Perth )
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy

Personally, I wouldn't go back for all the money in the world. (But then I don't live in Perth )
Indeed....let's face it you can't really 'cash in' on houses in Adelaide
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Indeed....let's face it you can't really 'cash in' on houses in Adelaide
I don't even own a house G.

I left it with my ex. Money isn't always everything, happiness is way more important...to me anyway
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Money isn't always everything, happiness is way more important...to me anyway
That's why so many go back to the UK
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, I know a few people who went back.

And some that even came back here again
Old Aug 28th 2011, 1:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I think you are right, also why many Aussies leave paradise to live permanently in the UK as well. Horses for courses I guess.

Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

We know a family who love it here, but are going back to blighty next month because the hubby can't get any decent paying work and she works at coles just to help them survive. The expense and worry has tipped the balance and they are reluctantly going back to Britain
Hes a twenty year brick layer and can't get anything steady or well paid up here lately, he said it's getting worse every week and most of his mates in the game are out doing grass cutting and or rubbish removal work on the side to help make ends meet.
What makes us so sad is that they love it here and are so happy with Australia, but economics as made them go somewhere they really don't want to be.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 2:23 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

With thousands of British and Irish tradies coming on on the WHV visa and the government agressively recruiting them well then the country doesn't need to go out of it's way to recruit skilled labour now.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 3:38 am
Banned

I'm not sure where all these tradesmen are going to find work in the present economy. I was speaking to a carpet layer a couple of weeks ago and he had to get a job in a warehouse because there was so little carpet laying work.
Old Aug 28th 2011, 5:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by deb68
We know a family who love it here, but are going back to blighty next month because the hubby can't get any decent paying work and she works at coles just to help them survive. The expense and worry has tipped the balance and they are reluctantly going back to Britain
Hes a twenty year brick layer and can't get anything steady or well paid up here lately, he said it's getting worse every week and most of his mates in the game are out doing grass cutting and or rubbish removal work on the side to help make ends meet.
What makes us so sad is that they love it here and are so happy with Australia, but economics as made them go somewhere they really don't want to be.
its not just the economic side of things here with the bricklaying..there are so many alternatives here to the bricks..plus facing brick is not fashionable here..nobody wants it....apart from a few oldies up the hills....
Old Aug 28th 2011, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

well from the other side of the coin ( we returned to the UK for 18 months linked to a variety of dull and complex factors) I can honestly say things are not too rosy here.

I took redundancy from my long term employer in December. Took me til August to find a role, which shocked and surprised me as my skills are pretty good and there seemed to be lots of roles. It seems that these advertised roles are just agency fodder.
We asked an electrician to do some work for us- couple of years ago you had to book him a month in advance, now a day/two was sufficient. He said it was the worst he has seen it in 30 years of employment

Also wages are not great, but bills are rocketing. Not sure how much more can be squeezed from people.

So UK is certainly not an easy ride at the moment....