Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Controversial option to get into OZ & cheapest area to live?

Controversial option to get into OZ & cheapest area to live?

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:21 am
Banned

marcusthe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Controversial option to get into OZ & cheapest area to live?

hi! long time lurker finally decides to get opinion on some mad ideas.

Basically had enough of the UK and wants to move to another English speaking country. Have spent a lot of time in NZ and some in OZ, but I think OZ would be more preferable. USA/Canada are not options.

My situation - 40, single, self employed since 2005 with own LTD company making good money (6 figures) running websites. I use to work in I.T. before but have no qualification in I.T. but have BA hons.

I cannot afford to go down business visa route, think I would struggle to get an employer to sponsor me although I am highly skilled web designer and I guess that might be the easiest skilled route.

OK, now the other option...

To come out to OZ on a 6 to 12 mth tourist visa, live somewhere cheap with an excess of single women (e.g. not mining areas!) get someone else to run my business from the UK and pay them (and still have an income from it for myself) and to find an Aussie/Aussie passport holder woman and get her pregnant. I really want a family too and of course we'd both have to be 100% wanting a child!

OK, I know this might not be ethical but I would only settle for someone I genuinely liked so I don't feel like I would be with them just for the visa, but I do need to do something soon before I am too old to emigrate and too old to have a family (I don't want to be an old dad, perhaps too late already!)

Would like to know your opinions, thanks.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Controversial option to get into OZ & cheapest area to live?

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:43 am
Banned

Just to add...

Of course I'd want to get married and all the trimmings and live happily ever after. I don't want it to sound like I just want to become a Dad and that I am going to roam Australia looking for anyone who'll have me! That's not what I am about and this is a genuine post.

It just makes sense for me to try and look for a partner in OZ rather than one in the UK, as ultimately I want to live in OZ, and many of the people I know in OZ have always said the de-facto route is still the easiest.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
We are in rare agreement G.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:58 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

try this Queensland lovely?

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcusthe

Basically had enough of the UK and wants to move to another English speaking country. Have spent a lot of time in NZ and some in OZ, but I think OZ would be more preferable. USA/Canada are not options.

My situation - 40, single, self employed since 2005 with own LTD company making good money (6 figures) running websites. I use to work in I.T. before but have no qualification in I.T. but have BA hons.

I cannot afford to go down business visa route, think I would struggle to get an employer to sponsor me although I am highly skilled web designer and I guess that might be the easiest skilled route.

To come out to OZ on a 6 to 12 mth tourist visa, live somewhere cheap with an excess of single women (e.g. not mining areas!) get someone else to run my business from the UK and pay them (and still have an income from it for myself) and to find an Aussie/Aussie passport holder woman and get her pregnant. I really want a family too and of course we'd both have to be 100% wanting a child!

OK, I know this might not be ethical but I would only settle for someone I genuinely liked so I don't feel like I would be with them just for the visa, but I do need to do something soon before I am too old to emigrate and too old to have a family (I don't want to be an old dad, perhaps too late already!)

I'm sure if it were that easy the country would discontinue skills visas cos it would be full

Do everyone a favour, if you want to come over and marry an Aussie so you can stay, then just get on with it. All I'd ask is that you don't create a child as part of the "master plan" - its not fair on the kid and its totally unnecessary.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:48 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Polly? Why?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcusthe

Damn! And here's me all post menopausal. You sound like such a catch!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:53 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newjersey
Polly? Why?
The photographer was offering cash and I need the money
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:53 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm sure if it were that easy the country would discontinue skills visas cos it would be full

Do everyone a favour, if you want to come over and marry an Aussie so you can stay, then just get on with it. All I'd ask is that you don't create a child as part of the "master plan" - its not fair on the kid and its totally unnecessary.
Is it? Shit, I was misinformed.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:40 pm
Banned

Sorry to get you all hot under the collar Dorothy, or should I call you Dot?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:05 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Is it? Shit, I was misinformed.
I don't think your kid was planned in quite such a calculating way? Its not necessary to have a kid just to get a visa (as you know ) - thats why I think its wrong. If the marriage falls apart because the main aim was to get the visa, then the child could get caught in the crossfire. Equally they could all live happily ever after and spend their days dressed in pink and playing cricket......
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

nandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura about

Adelaide has the cheapest rents and property from what ive read. The numbers from a youtube video by a real estate company - But are these legit?

property
sydney
498k average house, rent 556

melbourne
458k average, rent 395

brisbane
402k, 392

adelaide
370k, 352

perth
443k, 441
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 7:35 pm
Banned

Thanks nandnor for some useful comments - I am actually thinking more off the beaten track and not the big cities like 99% of Brits who go to Aus. I am more of a small town boy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.