Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

contributory parent visas info needed

contributory parent visas info needed

Old Apr 24th 2004, 8:21 pm
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future
Default contributory parent visas info needed

my parents have seperated and my mother wants to come to brisbane to be with us once we have been there two years.
My mother is planning on coming over on a contributory parent visa,is this ok or does she need to be divorced from my father,she has the necessary money to come with does anyone know of any obsticles that will prevent the application being passed.(it's the issue of seperation that concerns her)
Any info would be greatly accepted,cheers.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 9:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: contributory parent visas info needed

Being separated should not be a problem, provided it's permanent.

She will need to prove to DIMIA her separation is permanent (with whatever legal documentation she can provide).

Is she seeking a divorce? If not, why not? She would need to explain that to DIMIA.

You need to make sure you have two ATO tax assessments at the acceptable income levels to give an assurance. That may take a little longer than two years, depending on circumstances.

Jeremy

Originally posted by leannefr
my parents have seperated and my mother wants to come to brisbane to be with us once we have been there two years.
My mother is planning on coming over on a contributory parent visa,is this ok or does she need to be divorced from my father,she has the necessary money to come with does anyone know of any obsticles that will prevent the application being passed.(it's the issue of seperation that concerns her)
Any info would be greatly accepted,cheers.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 7:48 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Assurances of Support

Just a quick note to say that the Assurer need not be the relative (as I know you know Jeremy - I thought I should clarify this point), so if you have a friend or a more distant relative living in Australia who can provide the two years of Australian Tax Assessment Notices your parents might be able to apply for a Contributory Parent visa as soon as you have been living legally in Australia for at least two years and are permanent residents (at which point you can sponsor their application).

Best regards.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:31 am
PENNINE ELECTRICAL

Location: Was Wakefield, Now Bayside,Capalaba, Brisbane since 2004
Darren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant futureDarren&Leanne has a brilliant future

thank you both for your replies,we are hoping to go down the route of sponsering my mother but she will have the required funds that she needs to apply for a contributory parent visa which includes the assurance bond,so do we need to get an other assurer or will that fact that she has the money be enough.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:54 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of your mother's net assets aren't relevant I'm afraid - she will still need an Assurance of Support.

Have you considered a Retirement visa => Contributory Parent visa strategy for her? This would enable her to move to Australia on a temporary 4 -year visa and to apply for permanent residency once you can sponsor her CP visa application.

These websites might be of interest:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=265
http://www.australia.org.uk/VTI/HTML/410_ret.html
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=276
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=287
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=277

This said, I have a nagging concern that the Retirement visa in its present form will cease to be available later this year if the new regional retiree visa category quoted by the Immigration Minister comes into being ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by leannefr
thank you both for your replies,we are hoping to go down the route of sponsering my mother but she will have the required funds that she needs to apply for a contributory parent visa which includes the assurance bond,so do we need to get an other assurer or will that fact that she has the money be enough.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 8:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Assurances of Support

Alan
That's quite true, but the 10 year Assurance of Support for a Contributory Parent visa is quite a significant undertaking compared to the regular two year assurance:

- after the two year waiting period for welfare expires, there's a real risk of a welfare claim that Centrelink will seek to recover (first from the bond, then from the assurer if necessary).

- in the 10 year period, that assurer will be prevented from acting as assurer for anyone else (as you can't assure more than 2 people at any one time).

I would not consider signing a Contributory Parent assurance of support for anyone's parents other than my own.

Jeremy

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Just a quick note to say that the Assurer need not be the relative (as I know you know Jeremy - I thought I should clarify this point), so if you have a friend or a more distant relative living in Australia who can provide the two years of Australian Tax Assessment Notices your parents might be able to apply for a Contributory Parent visa as soon as you have been living legally in Australia for at least two years and are permanent residents (at which point you can sponsor their application).

Best regards.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 9:05 am
Migration Agent

Default Re: Assurances of Support

Agreed Jeremy ... but there might be another relative in Australia who is happy to provide the AoS.

Best regards.

Originally posted by JAJ
Alan
That's quite true, but the 10 year Assurance of Support for a Contributory Parent visa is quite a significant undertaking compared to the regular two year assurance:

- after the two year waiting period for welfare expires, there's a real risk of a welfare claim that Centrelink will seek to recover (first from the bond, then from the assurer if necessary).

- in the 10 year period, that assurer will be prevented from acting as assurer for anyone else (as you can't assure more than 2 people at any one time).

I would not consider signing a Contributory Parent assurance of support for anyone's parents other than my own.

Jeremy