Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contracting/self employed and mortgages?????

Contracting/self employed and mortgages?????

Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contracting/self employed and mortgages?????

It seems the idea of competition hasnt caught on amongst the financial institutions of Australia yet.......

Anyone managed to get a mortgage while self employed or agency employed? If so, off who?!?!?
Old Apr 8th 2004, 5:27 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contracting/self employed and mortgages?????

Originally posted by warwick road
It seems the idea of competition hasnt caught on amongst the financial institutions of Australia yet.......

Anyone managed to get a mortgage while self employed or agency employed? If so, off who?!?!?
We've been told by our financial advisor that it won't be a problem as so many here are on short-term contracts. We have a 75% deposit though, so that probably makes a difference. HSBC are one of the lenders he mentioned.

Jane
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

I did - but, it was back in '92. It was from Colonial Bank (now owned by Commonwealth Bank). They required 3 years of accounts.

Today it's probably much easier because of the increased competition - might be worth you trying places like Aussie Home Loans or Wizard. The larger banks tend to be less flexible (ie more conservative).
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

cookies is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm on a 3 month contract and this was fine for the Commonwealth Bank of Australia to give me the mortgage I wanted.

Steve
Old Apr 9th 2004, 5:31 am
ABCDiamond

Many lenders now do Low Doc or even No Doc loans. You basically tell the lender how much you earn, but you don't need to prove it . The interest rate may be a little bit higher though.

Old Apr 9th 2004, 10:03 am
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Many lenders now do Low Doc or even No Doc loans. You basically tell the lender how much you earn, but you don't need to prove it . The interest rate may be a little bit higher though.
more or less the same thing as we have here.
self cert mortgages,you do get charged a higher rate,but stick whith it & you can then shop around
Old Apr 9th 2004, 1:12 pm
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

Last time I did this I had to supply a ton of account statements, a profit and loss and balance sheet. Took me ages to draw it up properly. That was ANZ in 1995. Then there was an interview with the 'bank manager' followed by 2 weeks of agonising waiting, followed by me closing my accounts with ANZ out of disgust, going to a credit union and getting the loan I needed almost immediately, with just bank statements to show my income. PowerState C/U in Adelaide, they were awfully nice.
Old Apr 10th 2004, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

I went to westpac 3 weeks ago asking for a mortgage and was told there was no chance as I've been doing agency work for the last 7 months.

I start a new job on tuesday and the boss has said he would give me a letter saying that I will be employed full time but on a months trial. I've spoken to a mortgage broker he has said I can get a mortgage with this through citybank because I'm putting 30% deposit but I havn't seen the details of the package yet.

Keel
Old Apr 10th 2004, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't waste you time with the big boys, there are some out there who will take all your facts into consideration before making a decision. What you are after is a non-confirming loan. Following is a list of those who featured in Money magazine for April.

www.bluestone.com.au
www.collins-securities.com.au
www.gemortgages.com.au
www.interstar.com.au
www.liberty.com.au
www.morganbrooks.com.au
www.mortgagehouse.com.au
www.pepperhomeloans.com.au
Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point
Default money magazine??

Originally posted by Vicky88
Don't waste you time with the big boys, there are some out there who will take all your facts into consideration before making a decision. What you are after is a non-confirming loan. Following is a list of those who featured in Money magazine for April.

www.bluestone.com.au
www.collins-securities.com.au
www.gemortgages.com.au
www.interstar.com.au
www.liberty.com.au
www.morganbrooks.com.au
www.mortgagehouse.com.au
www.pepperhomeloans.com.au

dont suppose u know a link to their website? cheers...
Old Apr 13th 2004, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Slightly off the subject.

Does anyone know what the Australian lenders view is if you own a property in the UK which is paying for itself i.e. Let out and rental covering mortgage payments. Then want to get a mortgage to purchase a property in Australia.

Will they lend? Would your income have to cover both mortgages (just in case you had no tennants for a while)