Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contract mobile issue

Contract mobile issue

Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Australian_2005 is on a distinguished road
Default Contract mobile issue

I've got 18 months left on my mobile contract in UK but off to Aus in the very near future. I can't afford to pay it off as have packed in work and sent the vast majority of cash over to my Oz bank account!
Any advice please?
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:22 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contract mobile issue

I'd phone them and ask what can be done given that you are moving overseas never to return. If they want you to pay out the contract then try it on and say that you don't know where you will be address wise so is there a compromise you can make before you simply stop paying as you don't give a darn about your UK credit record.

Of course this may or may not be true, but many companies would rather do a deal with you than just end up not getting a penny more with no realistic hope of recovery. I'm not advocating skipping out of it, you just may be able to meet them halfway.

That said, its a matter of BE public record that I just left a mobile phone contract in the UK and stopped paying it 4 years ago. Mainly because I couldn't be bothered to try to get them to understand a mistake they made from overseas after the third attempt. rather than any intent to skip. But, not surprisingly never heard from them again.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
I'd phone them and ask what can be done given that you are moving overseas never to return. If they want you to pay out the contract then try it on and say that you don't know where you will be address wise so is there a compromise you can make before you simply stop paying as you don't give a darn about your UK credit record.

Of course this may or may not be true, but many companies would rather do a deal with you than just end up not getting a penny more with no realistic hope of recovery. I'm not advocating skipping out of it, you just may be able to meet them halfway.

That said, its a matter of BE public record that I just left a mobile phone contract in the UK and stopped paying it 4 years ago. Mainly because I couldn't be bothered to try to get them to understand a mistake they made from overseas after the third attempt. rather than any intent to skip. But, not surprisingly never heard from them again.
They've asked me to pay up the contract at £40 a month it's a lot of cash! Really is a last minute thing didn't cross my mind until yesterday...

Last edited by Australian_2005; Jun 27th 2009 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australian_2005
They've asked me to pay up the contract at £40 a month it's a lot of cash! Really is a last minute thing didn't cross my mind until yesterday...
Try it on mate and say you don't have that sort of money. I'd tell them either they come to the table or you stop paying and there is realistically no threat they can make to you that you would care about...

Obviously will probably need to speak to someone other than the first overseas standard script robotic call center worker. I'd speak to someone in disconnections since they have more ability to vary contracts etc.

Anyho - just an idea.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
Try it on mate and say you don't have that sort of money. I'd tell them either they come to the table or you stop paying and there is realistically no threat they can make to you that you would care about...

Obviously will probably need to speak to someone other than the first overseas standard script robotic call center worker. I'd speak to someone in disconnections since they have more ability to vary contracts etc.

Anyho - just an idea.
Many thanks for replying.